Options

pricelists are confusing

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited July 28, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So trying to use the new pricelist feature and honestly, I hate it.

I'm hoping to sell a digital download to an interested client and when I go under "set prices" there is no actual option to "set prices". Apparently I have to use pricing from a previous gallery and when I do that, I can't figure out how to actually list what options (prints, downloads) I'm trying to sell and then price them.

Is there a way I can switch back to the old (and much easier) format if I've already switched to pricelists?

What am I missing that is making it so difficult to price and sell a single file as a digital download?

I can use google checkout/wallet and set this up in about 30 seconds and just send the dude the file. It seems unlikely SM intentionally made pricelists more complicated than that, so what am I missing?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    dogwood wrote: »
    So trying to use the new pricelist feature and honestly, I hate it.

I'm hoping to sell a digital download to an interested client and when I go under "set prices" there is no actual option to "set prices". Apparently I have to use pricing from a previous gallery and when I do that, I can't figure out how to actually list what options (prints, downloads) I'm trying to sell and then price them.

Is there a way I can switch back to the old (and much easier) format if I've already switched to pricelists?

What am I missing that is making it so difficult to price and sell a single file as a digital download?

I can use google checkout/wallet and set this up in about 30 seconds and just send the dude the file. It seems unlikely SM intentionally made pricelists more complicated than that, so what am I missing?

When you are setting up a pricelist, if you would like, you can set up a new one and only have the items you would like offered just like you did in the old pricing tool.

To do this, go into any gallery and click Tools > Set Prices > Manage Pricelists. From there, click 'Create New'

20120626-p9ywqiifmwquxr2hyax9iubrbw.jpg

After that, you can choose which products you would like to have in that pricelist and assign it to galleries. Here is where you would select the items for sale:

20120626-jygk8qnugwxnq8e8qb1nejtui2.jpg

-KevinW
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    144341144.jpg

Kevin:

Thanks for your help.

I still don't see where I actually set the price. Yeah, I see the percentage markup, but what's the price I'm charging the client? Obviously 100-percent markup for a 99-cent item is a little different than for a 99-dollar item.

Seems like I remember the old system actually listing a price that I could change, not a percentage.

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Hi Pete

On the left side of the screen, in front of 'commercial photo license' you will see an arrow symbol. Expand that to be shown the products in that category. You can either set the final price or set an amount of profit and let SmugMug do the maths to set the price. Either works,

Hope that helps,

ann
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi Pete

On the left side of the screen, in front of 'commercial photo license' you will see an arrow symbol. Expand that to be shown the products in that category. You can either set the final price or set an amount of profit and let SmugMug do the maths to set the price. Either works,

Hope that helps,

ann

Got it. Thanks Ann! :D

• Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    I thought progress meant to move forward? IMO, the new pricelists are a pain in the *** . I think it may be time to turn off all of my carts and have customers email me with orders. Honestly, this is horrible.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    RKnecht wrote: »
    I thought progress meant to move forward? IMO, the new pricelists are a pain in the *** . I think it may be time to turn off all of my carts and have customers email me with orders. Honestly, this is horrible.

We can assist you, and once you do a couple, you'll be a pro at it. Let us help you, http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    I sent a message a while ago, but thought I would post my opinion here as well.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    BiffbradfordBiffbradford Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    OKay. So I made a new price list. Went through everything and set new prices. Named it '2012 default price list'. Now how do I assign that to a gallery? When I go to a gallery, I don't get it as an option!

*confused*

i.e. When I made a -new- pricelist, there isn't a 'gallery picker'. How do you implement a NEW price list?
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    OKay. So I made a new price list. Went through everything and set new prices. Named it '2012 default price list'. Now how do I assign that to a gallery? When I go to a gallery, I don't get it as an option!

*confused*
    If 2012 default pricelist is in fact your "default pricelist" then it will automatically be applied to all galleries on your site unless you override a gallery with a different pricelist. You can tell if '2012 default pricelist' is your default pricelist if it is highlighted in blue and has a star next to it. Feel free to contact our help desk if you want us to take a look at your site to make sure all is good :)http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

Forget that I used the word 'default' in the name, lets say I just call it "New List".

How do I make it the 'default' list? That's where I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to assign a completely new list to any galleries.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    How do I make it the 'default' list? That's where I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to assign a completely new list to any galleries.

Edit the pricelist, and then click the box for "Make this my default pricelist"

20120727-fp7yp2qkeqrxeufc3j6wsjbkb4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    Okay, thank you. Then when I edit my gallery to set the list, I don't get 'default' as a choice. It's all 'migrate' this and 'migrate' that (whatever the heck that means). How do I choose 'default' for the gallery price list? There is no choice of 'default'. The list I want is "New List", but I can't seem to be able to choose "New List".

*still confused* ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2012
    I gave up on creating a new list. It was much easier to go into a list that already existed, changed all the pricing, and used it. Then I had a gallery picker I could use.

The "create new price list" does not work as far as I can tell.

Thank you, I'm moving on.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2012
    I gave up on creating a new list. It was much easier to go into a list that already existed, changed all the pricing, and used it. Then I had a gallery picker I could use.

The "create new price list" does not work as far as I can tell.

Thank you, I'm moving on.
    The 'migrated' in the pricelist names tells you that this was a pricelist that was converted over from the SmugMug classic pricing system. It is followed by the name of the gallery it was migrated from. If there were other galleries with the same pricing, that is indicated by the (+X others) at the end of the name.

You can find the 'create new' button in the top right of the manage pricelists screen:
    20120728-8kq7pxywm5b87bn3bwaqig4ca9.jpg
    It's essential if you'd like to choose a different lab as you cannot change the lab on an existing pricelist.

After clicking on it, you should see this:
    20120728-b6pp18d7gb2ec6g2cufhwrs8qf.jpg
    Just enter a name, pick the lab and adjust the other settings as you'd like to. Then you can click on create to create the new pricelist.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero