Options

Beware Overnight Prints

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
I used them. I was happy with the quality and cost as I know many have been.

I just received an email from someone I don't know who was kind enough to tell me that when she clicked on the free samples button on their site, my info is filled in. My name, street adress, email, it's all there.

I'm not a happy camper.

I just emailed them and I'm awaiting a reply.

This is unnaceptable. It's bad enough when a business doesn't practice security and gets info stolen, but to put it out on the web. Avoid this site!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Khaos wrote:

I just received an email from someone I don't know who was kind enough to tell me that when she clicked on the free samples button on their site, my info is filled in. My name, street adress, email, it's all there.

I'm not a happy camper.

This is unnaceptable. It's bad enough when a business doesn't practice security and gets info stolen, but to put it out on the web. Avoid this site!

I just went there (I've been a customer, too, I'm a satisfied customer)...

Tried the samples thing in safari and firefox - got blanks to fill in, that's all..

Was she using your computer?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    Funny. No. I never heard of her. She actually had a screen shot.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Funny. No. I never heard of her. She actually had a screen shot.

Weird - seems like it's fixed though. Similar thing happened to B&H about a month or so ago. Not good.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Weird - seems like it's fixed though. Similar thing happened to B&H about a month or so ago. Not good.
    Agreed. I am to the point now that I no longer allow an online vendor to store my credit card information. (do all vendors give you this option?). I'm even considering trying to get it removed from some vendors who currently have my CC information that are normally trustworthy, such as Amazon, just in case.

Goodbye one-click ordering for Bill... :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    FYI... I don't believe that it is fixed. I just clicked on "free samples" and it came up with someone's personal info. No credit card, but mailing address/e-mail...

Hopefully they will get this looked after...

Lee
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I want to try
    What is their website, I want to try!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    I still haven't received a reply back either. Very troubling.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Lee Massey wrote:
    FYI... I don't believe that it is fixed. I just clicked on "free samples" and it came up with someone's personal info. No credit card, but mailing address/e-mail...

Hopefully they will get this looked after...

Lee
    Since that was my info I'm kind of ticked off. xxbah.gif Once I get a good nights sleep I will be communicating with those good folks tomorrow. 2ar15smilie.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I just went there (I've been a customer, too, I'm a satisfied customer)...

Tried the samples thing in safari and firefox - got blanks to fill in, that's all..

Was she using your computer?
    Just had a look

...i ordered you 3 x 5d's on Steve Cav's credit card to arrive in sequence 3 months apart so you wont have to re-order after each sale.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I still haven't received a reply back either. Very troubling.
    Bad news mate...just keep one fist closed behind your back in the event that the person whom contacted you is not a scammer.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Well... Although it sounds like they have a good product for a reasonable price, it still makes me a little nervous. I was actually going to get some samples when I saw that information still there...

I gave them a call and left a message. It just wasn't with the "Free Samples" link either. I clicked on the "Contact Us" button after I saw your info Harry and I saw the message that *YOU* left them. Very disturbing...

Anyway, I sent you an e-mail about it Harry and some screen captures. It definately makes you wonder...

Thanks...

Lee
    Harryb wrote:
    Since that was my info I'm kind of ticked off. xxbah.gif Once I get a good nights sleep I will be communicating with those good folks tomorrow. 2ar15smilie.gif
  • Options
    Blues fanBlues fan Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Well... Although it sounds like they have a good product for a reasonable price, it still makes me a little nervous. I was actually going to get some samples when I saw that information still there...

I gave them a call and left a message. It just wasn't with the "Free Samples" link either. I clicked on the "Contact Us" button after I saw your info Harry and I saw the message that *YOU* left them. Very disturbing...

Anyway, I sent you an e-mail about it Harry and some screen captures. It definately makes you wonder...

Thanks...

Lee
    I was just reading this thread and am glad I didn't make an order last night from them as I was about to. I noticed that Harry's info was still on the sample and the contact us screens and that it has been a couple of days since Harry's post and since Lee's post.

I am just wondering if anyone had heard anything from the company yet as to why it hasn't been fixed yet or when they plan on fixing it. I had planned on ordering some cards this week but I think I may be looking for another company to use.
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]_________________________
    -Gil-

[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]My world of photography[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Blues fan wrote:
    I was just reading this thread and am glad I didn't make an order last night from them as I was about to. I noticed that Harry's info was still on the sample and the contact us screens and that it has been a couple of days since Harry's post and since Lee's post.

I am just wondering if anyone had heard anything from the company yet as to why it hasn't been fixed yet or when they plan on fixing it. I had planned on ordering some cards this week but I think I may be looking for another company to use.

3 machines, two different browsers - I never saw anything except blank input screens. (Safari, and Firefox). Is this IE only?
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Khaos wrote:

I'm not a happy camper.

I've seen this happening... not right now on http://www.overnightprints.com but on other sites (although those were not out in the real world, just test-sites). This is most likely their problem:

They have a bunch of machines (servers) running the online front store. When you start using it, fill in info, etc, the front-store application needs to establish a session. The session holds a identifier that points to - most likely - a database that holds your info (last information uploaded, shopping cart contents, etc.). The session-identifier is stored on your computer in a cookie. The value of the identifier is generated by the front-store application. The session-identifier is then used to obtain the information that is specific to you when you move from page to page.

Most front-store applications are running on more than one machine, to spread the load. Sometimes this can cause the session-identifier of one customer(/browser) to be assigned to another customer(/browser). This, of course is a bug in their system, but i could happen. This means, that when you go to the next page, you see contents that would have been shown to another customer (cross-assignment of sessions).

This is a SEVERE bug. It is best to notify Overnight Prints immediately. If this bug caused some customers to have their info stolen or, even worse, have some of their money stolen, Overnight Prints can be in for a lot of trouble (pissed of customers, bad press, litigation, etc.)
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Hi y'all,

I contacted Overnightprints about my info being displayed. I first attempted a phone contact and it want like this

ring
    Recorded voice: "you are the second caller on line for a service rep."
    some god awful music

Voice: "hey my name is Kevin"
    Me: "This is in reference to a a completed order"
    click
    Recorded voice: "you are called number 29"
    god awful music
    after minutes a Recorded voice "You are number 28"
    I hang up

I did receive this e-mail today in response to me e-mmails ent two days earlier

"Good Day,
    We do not collect and post information on our site. If the site is
    retaining information it is due to your settings. Not ours. Verisign is
    a secure site and deletes all of the CC info once it has been processed.
    If you wish to change your setting you must go to Tools>Internet Options
    and under Security, Privacy and Advanced you should be able to change
    your settings. However this will delete and not store any information
    when you visit any site as well as drop down boxes(ie. typing similar
    info and matches pop up below). I hope this was helpful to you. Have a
    good day!

We appreciate your patience and hope that you choose Overnight Prints
    in the future for all your printing needs. If you have any additional
    questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Please include all previous correspondence and your order number when
    contacting Overnight Prints.

Thank you,

Christine

Customer Support Representative
    Overnight Prints
    1800 East Garry Ave. Ste. 224
    Santa Ana, CA 92705
    service@overnightprints.com
    Support Line: 888-677-2000"

I feel better knowing that it is my problem and not theirs. They do have a point it is my problem because its my info that was being displayed. :bash
    I will have my next order of business cards done locally.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Must be a PC thing
    I just see blanks to fill in on my Mac when I go to samples on overnightprints.

Slightly changing the subject, I never got a letter from the FBI or CIA either about the 30 illegal sites I visited (whatever illegal site means). I even read about it on Yahoo this morning. What illegal sites? I wanna go see them!:):

But I did get a notice that I won the Big Lottery in the UK. Checked the lottery site, but darn if the numbers listed didn't match the numbers in my e-mail. Other than that, it's a very cleverly done letter -- sure looks like the real thing! However, before I could write to Hillary my ISP sent an all domain e-mail out telling us it was a fishing expedition to get our bank information...

Sorry Harry that it was your information up there on the screen for the world to see.
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Harry,

Your info is still up there... on the Contact Us part

:uhoh
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Harry,

Your info is still up there... on the Contact Us part

:uhoh
    also on the free sample section

I'm using IE
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    also on the free sample section

I'm using IE
    I don't think it matters whether you use IE or not. Your and Harry's computer are not the same, it seems to be overnight-prints' problem.... Somehow you were assigned the session that was meant for Harry. So, everytime you go to overnight prints' site, it thinks you're Harry and will show you his information instead.

If they don't investigate this and send out e-mails like 'it is definately your fault, not ours', they may be in for a surprise.
    -- Anton.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    ok... this is what I did...

i went to the site... went to contact us.. plugged in some bogus info in hopes to get Harry's info off there...

can anyone verify what they see now?

Thank You,

Steven

P.S. I hope this helps Harry.
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I just see blanks to fill in on my Mac when I go to samples on overnightprints.

Slightly changing the subject, I never got a letter from the FBI or CIA either about the 30 illegal sites I visited (whatever illegal site means). I even read about it on Yahoo this morning. What illegal sites? I wanna go see them!:):

But I did get a notice that I won the Big Lottery in the UK. Checked the lottery site, but darn if the numbers listed didn't match the numbers in my e-mail. Other than that, it's a very cleverly done letter -- sure looks like the real thing! However, before I could write to Hillary my ISP sent an all domain e-mail out telling us it was a fishing expedition to get our bank information...

Sorry Harry that it was your information up there on the screen for the world to see.
    I does not happen on my system either. The problem described above likely happens only for a few visitors; the overnight-prints' servers mixing up their sessions. So, Harry, i don't think the world will see your info. But some people may (and actually are) see it.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:

i went to the site... went to contact us.. plugged in some bogus info in hopes to get Harry's info off there...

Thank You,

Steven

You may have erased/modified Harry's info by doing this. Only Harry can verify this, and most likely only on the computer he used to visit overnight-prints.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    You may have erased/modified Harry's info by doing this. Only Harry can verify this, and most likely only on the computer he used to visit overnight-prints.
    I'm just looking for those who have seen the issue, to revisit the site and see what info they show... if any...
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I'm just looking for those who have seen the issue, to revisit the site and see what info they show... if any...
    Just went to the site and when I hit "contact us" I saw the info you entered so my stuff has been cleared. Thanks.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Just went to the site and when I hit "contact us" I saw the info you entered so my stuff has been cleared. Thanks.
    Harry and Steven, be sure to delete your cookies (from overnight-print's site). You are both still sharing the same session (although bogus data is now in it). Otherwise you may wind up ordering stuff for one another (and who knows who else) in the future :D .

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Glad I could help Harry :)

it doesn't solve the issue, but atleast doesn't put you out to as many people...
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Harry and Steven, be sure to delete your cookies (from overnight-print's site). You are both still sharing the same session (although bogus data is now in it). Otherwise you may wind up ordering stuff for one another (and who knows who else) in the future :D .
    cookie deleted
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2005
    It is strange because I tried that the first time too (filling in the window forms with incorrect data in an attempt to mask Harry's valid info) and it only partially worked. Anyone else had problems recently?

I must admit that their response to Harry was not exactly what I would call, "customer service".

When I saw it the first time I even left them a detailed voice mail regarding the problem (including the order number) because I recognized Harry's name and I would have thought that they would have fixed it immediately...

I would like to give them a try but this whole episode doesn't exactly leave you with a good feeling...

What other alternatives are there with similar prices?

Thanks,

Lee

LiquidOps wrote:

Thank You,

Steven

• Options
    Overnight DannyOvernight Danny Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 27, 2006
    Problems with Overnight Prints Website
    Good Afternoon,
    Ladies and Gentlemen, after reading over your complaints, I can assure you that the problem has been fixed, as well very simple to avoid. At Overnight Prints, session ID's are used to make it easier for a person to track their product and information. It seems as if Khaos may have had a problem with incorrect emails, and for that Overnight Prints apologizes, but for the group of people who are seeing the same screen, that is due to sharing of links. If each of you had gone to the site on your own you would not be able to see others information. However, if someone enters their information and then shares the link to Overnight Prints with you, you will all be located on the same session. In order for this not to occur, all of you should clear your cookies and log onto www.overnightprints.com on your own without using a common link. This should clear it up. Overnight Prints does apologize for the confusion and the past customer service, and hopes that you consider using us in the future. Thanks!
    Overnight Danny

Khaos wrote:

I'm not a happy camper.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    but for the group of people who are seeing the same screen, that is due to sharing of links. If each of you had gone to the site on your own you would not be able to see others information. However, if someone enters their information and then shares the link to Overnight Prints with you, you will all be located on the same session. In order for this not to occur, all of you should clear your cookies and log onto www.overnightprints.com on your own without using a common link.

You're kidding - right? I should think it would be your guys job to ensure that we dumb consumers don't do anything to compromise our personal information. IOW, we expect YOU to deal with this issue, despite our tendency to "share links" in the incorrect manner.

Food for thought - and I'm interested to see how you guys will deal with this.