Options

backpack review::f-stop loka

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
edited April 27, 2012 in Accessories
I decided after a trip in January that I needed a new camera bag. Traveling was the focus of my search, but I knew that it would likely be my bag of choice for wandering near home as well.

The bag that I purchased is the Loka, by f-stop: http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/loka.

If you're interested, I've published a review on my blog, at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/2012/04/gear-review-f-stop-loka.html.

One of the things I found most interesting about the bag is the rear access to the camera gear. This awesome feature allows you to access your camera and lenses without taking the bag off completely, something that usually isn't possible if you use a pack-style camera bag.

The trick? Loosen the hip belt slightly, remove the shoulder straps, and spin the bag to the front. The bag nicely lays flat, with the bottom of the bag against your body. It's easy to unzip the camera compartment, grab a different lens, use the pack itself as a sort of a table while you change lenses. Awesome!
Click to video (by Varina Patel) showing spinning the bag to the front.

i-CPH4gkS-S.jpgi-rP2cG9X-S.jpg

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Great review. This is also a bag I had been considering, but was slightly outside my budget. If I do more traveling, this will be high on my list. The access to the gear is definitely different, but I like it. Much safer when walking around as well I imagine since no one can open the camera section without being between you and the bag.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Sure looks like a very well made pack.

Sam
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Great review! Thank you for posting the video about hanging the pack by the belt and accessing your stuff. Just tried it with my Satori EXP and it worked! 2 bodies with lenses, and a top compartment full of flashes and PWs. Pretty slick.

The Fstop bags are a bit expensive, but so are all good bags. Their versatility with the interchangeable camera units makes them awesome. Most of the time you need to carry a lot of other gear besides camera gear. That is the problem with most if not all big camera packs. The carry camera gear, not stuff.

I have the Loka and the Satori EXP. They are a great match for each other. The Loka is much more streamlined. But this year I have really been using my Satori a lot. It just lets me haul my 2 bodies with lenses attached easier. I use the large ICU in the bottom, and the small ICU up top for flashes. Usually in the Loka I use a medium ICU or the Small one. Gives room for other gear. The Loka might be my all time favorite backpack. Not just for camera stuff. It just fits me well and carries very well. I use it a lot for backcountry snowboarding with or without camera gear. I have used it mountain biking and dirtbiking too. I even hauled my dog in it once along with my camera stuff on a long downhill bike ride. He is a 17lb chi jack russel mutt. I need to get pics of that sometime!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited April 22, 2012
    Thanks for the comments! I just updated the first post of this thread to include a link to the video of spinning the bag around to access the camera compartment - in case folks who didn't jump to the review want to see it.

It truly is an awesome bag, one I look forward to using for a long time.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Great review! Thank you for posting the video about hanging the pack by the belt and accessing your stuff. Just tried it with my Satori EXP and it worked! 2 bodies with lenses, and a top compartment full of flashes and PWs. Pretty slick.

Yes, brilliant! Thanks! thumb.gif

It seems redundant, but I also am very pleased with my loka.
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    cool! thanks!!