• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Anyone tried the Canon 8-15 yet?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Airedrifter is offline Airedrifter OP
Major grins
Anyone tried the Canon 8-15 yet?
I'm trying to decide on a 16-35 or the 8-15 as a compliment to my 24-70 on my 5DII.

I have the 10-22 and the 17-55 on the 7D.

Sawyer

Last edited by Airedrifter; Apr-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Apr-02-2012, 01:08 PM
DeVerm is offline DeVerm
Major grins
I recently played around with the old Canon 15mm fisheye (see http://www.sv-jedi.org/sv_jedi/2012/...rd-a-boat.html) and it made me decide to buy the 8-15mm L and I'm about to order it. That said, I already have the 17-40L on full frame and the Tokina 12-24mm on crop sensor as regular wide angle zooms.

You can use lens correction algorithms like in LR or PS to straighten images from a fisheye but the results are not very good, so you will need a regular wide zoom too. The 10-22mm on the 7D is better than the 12-24mm I have there, but you really really want a wide zoom for the full frame sensor too. It is where it shines like the 7D does for reach with telephoto.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here
Old Apr-02-2012, 01:18 PM
ziggy53 is online now ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Have you read the reviews?:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ye_review.html

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-...mm_review.html

I suspect for most people it would be best to rent this lens when you need it. In your case you might also consider renting a FF body, as that gives the lens maximum versatility.
Old Apr-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Love this lens.
Old Apr-02-2012, 03:53 PM
dlplumer is offline dlplumer
Major grins
I have the 8-15. Although I have used it for wide angle landscape shots, it certainly does not replace a good WA like the 17-40 or the 16-35. It's great for architecture in small quarters and novelty shots.
Old Apr-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Airedrifter is offline Airedrifter OP
Major grins
Ziggy, I just got a 5DII and went with the 24-70 as my "normal" lens.

Yeah, I'm thinking the 16-35...

With the 10-22 on the 7D, I rarely used it as anything but the 10mm (16). So I was thinking that with the 8-15 I'd use it mainly as a 15 and then artsy farsty at 8. :) A 12-28 would be what I would design for a FF. :)

We're climbing Rainer in July and I want a wide...

Decisions decisions... :)
Old Apr-03-2012, 06:22 AM
DeVerm is offline DeVerm
Major grins
Airedrifter, I looked at your photo's and think an 8-15L will get a lot of use with all those close & wide shots

I also think the 16-35L is a better choice for you than the 17-40L

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here
Old Apr-03-2012, 07:00 AM
ziggy53 is online now ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedrifter View Post
Ziggy, I just got a 5DII and went with the 24-70 as my "normal" lens. ...
D'oh. Sorry, I missed reading that in your first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedrifter View Post
... Yeah, I'm thinking the 16-35...

With the 10-22 on the 7D, I rarely used it as anything but the 10mm (16). So I was thinking that with the 8-15 I'd use it mainly as a 15 and then artsy farsty at 8. :) A 12-28 would be what I would design for a FF. :)

We're climbing Rainer in July and I want a wide...

Decisions decisions... :)
Fisheye is an effect that seems best as a "spice" rather than a "main course" for most photography, except that it can be striking for some mountaineering photography. Review Andy's link for how many times he used it in his African adventure, for instance. Then review some of Galen Rowell's mountain galleries.

Mountain climbing is tough enough without a lot of photographic equipment. I am tempted to recommend an EF 17-40mm, f4L USM for the 5D MKII, partly to save weight, and then multiple photographs stitched together for the extremely expansive views. You can alternately apply the fisheye distortion to the stitched images in post-processing, if you desire the effect.
Old Apr-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
I have both FE 8-15 and EF 16-35MkII (on FF body). Both are very good but they are not easily interchangeable, as in you can't use one instead of the other, unless you always shoot in a vicinity of 15..16mm in which case you may as well save the $$$ and just get a 15mm prime. And even in that case they are very different.

8-15 is a great "effect" lens. I love to use it for the twilight sky:

However, it is a fish eye, so in many cases a rectilinear glass may be preferred:

HTH
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Tell The World!