Options

Untitled

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited March 27, 2012 in Street and Documentary
DSC0041-XL.jpg

Does this work?

I'm not sure this qualifies as street photography beyond that it was shot on the street. There's no story here. However, I like the contrast and lines flowing in several directions.

P.S. My connection was acting out and I posted this three times. My apologies. Richard can you delete the other two? I couldn't find a way to do it, did I miss it?

Cristóbal

Comments

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    I like this scene, I think solitude and a time of reflection is what I get from this. I agree that their are some nice lines,but I think you have given the building to much attention and not enough where it should be,you may want to consider cropping some of the top above the lamp somewhere and also take some of the for ground away off the bottom, just my thoughts.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited March 26, 2012
    I agree with lensmole that there's too much building. I would have liked to see more on the right perhaps, and closer in any event, at least if you are interested in the person, not the architecture.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    Thanks for the comments guys. Earlier today Richard suggested a crop that looked like this:

DSC0041-XL.jpg

I like it, I think it works better, however, I also liked the vastness of the empty square in the first shot.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments guys. Earlier today Richard suggested a crop that looked like this:

DSC0041-XL.jpg

I like it, I think it works better, however, I also liked the vastness of the empty square in the first shot.

I think this works well but like Richard says it depends on what you want give prominence to. If it is the architecture then I think you would have to crop a considerable amount off the bottom all the way up to the curved brick.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    Here is the crop that Lensmole suggested

DSC0041-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    I think you could have taken more off the bottom on the second crop making it a square but I agree that being closer would have worked better. The last one does give the architecture stature and a sense of scale if this is what you like. IMO it works better than the first . What do you think ?
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Mole's right, but it simply needs more than is there, no matter how you crop it. The thing that works is the angle of the guy's crossed leg in counterpoint to all those grand verticals and strong horizontals.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Mole's right, but it simply needs more than is there, no matter how you crop it. The thing that works is the angle of the guy's crossed leg in counterpoint to all those grand verticals and strong horizontals.

I think Russ is right, I'm trying too hard to get something out of nothing. In any case flops are good lessons too! Thanks for commenting.

Cristóbal