• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Help me please wireless Nikon shooters

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Mar-15-2012, 07:12 PM
#1
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Help me please wireless Nikon shooters
Please somebody help me before I shoot myself! Call me stupid (that's how desperate I am!) ... I just can't seem to figure out why my wireless isn't working (been a natural light / on camera flash girl for ... well ... forever .... I *really* want to make the switch, but the flash God is just not on my side)

Here's what I have:
  • Nikon D3
  • 1 x SB-900
+
  • 1 x SU-800
and
  • 1 x PowerSync16 receiver / transmitter
I can not get my flash working in either cases (SU-800 nor the PowerSync). The flash works great on camera and with a cord, but whenever I try to go wireless it won't (not even the test buttons get it to work).

PLEASE tell me, what am I doing wrong?? Is it in my settings? Is it my (by now very) bitchy aura??

1. PowerSync16:
  • they are both on the same frequency
  • the batteries are working and both devices are on





SU-800:
  • I believe the SB-900 should work with the SU-800 (without a receiver, right???)

__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Old Mar-15-2012, 07:37 PM
#2
Qarik is online now Qarik
Krazy Korean
Qarik's Avatar
with the SU800, the SB900 has to be on remote. looks like you just have it set to on
__________________
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old Mar-15-2012, 08:11 PM
#3
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
Art Scott's Avatar
THIS MIGHT HELP ...
__________________
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old Mar-15-2012, 08:27 PM
#4
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Qarik, you are absolutely right! (see, told ya .... ). I was reading too much about the PocketWizards (not what I have) - and I guess you need to keep your flash on ON with those, that my own light bulb wasn't functioning anymore. However ... the flash goes of, but I STILL can't seem to take any photos! (don't want to look too smart too fast!). I have my manual settings on F10 / ISO 200 + 1/250 >>> TTL + I tried pretty much all Ev settings on the SU-800. Sooooooooooooo. What's wrong now? The flash IS going of, but all I get is a black photo.

__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Old Mar-15-2012, 08:42 PM
#5
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Scott View Post
Ugh, that's kinda what I tried, but no luck ...........
__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Old Mar-15-2012, 08:56 PM
#6
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
Art Scott's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnieszka View Post
Ugh, that's kinda what I tried, but no luck ...........
sorry....next suggestion email Paul buff... ... info@paulcbuff.com ... ...send pics posted here and someone wil get right back to you...hopefully....I don't have any Cybers so I am no help.....
__________________
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old Mar-16-2012, 05:05 AM
#7
time2smile is offline time2smile
Major grins
time2smile's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnieszka View Post
Qarik, you are absolutely right! (see, told ya .... ). I was reading too much about the PocketWizards (not what I have) - and I guess you need to keep your flash on ON with those, that my own light bulb wasn't functioning anymore. However ... the flash goes of, but I STILL can't seem to take any photos! (don't want to look too smart too fast!). I have my manual settings on F10 / ISO 200 + 1/250 >>> TTL + I tried pretty much all Ev settings on the SU-800. Sooooooooooooo. What's wrong now? The flash IS going of, but all I get is a black photo.


Your flash is in manual?
I think it should be on TTL according to the SU
__________________
Ted....
It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
Nikon
http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
Old Mar-16-2012, 05:26 AM
#8
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
angevin1's Avatar
Channel and group? Here: http://www.nikoncls.com/SB-900/sb900_cls_remote.html
Old Mar-16-2012, 05:57 AM
#9
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2smile View Post
Your flash is in manual?
I think it should be on TTL according to the SU
That's what I thought too, but when I have it set to remote I can only choose between manual and auto (where the photo will be black-black) *sigh*
__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Old Mar-16-2012, 05:59 AM
#10
adbsgicom is offline adbsgicom
Texas-Sized Grins
adbsgicom's Avatar
On those triggers, everthing would need to be in Manual, right? I didn't think those supported TTL modes.
__________________
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site
Old Mar-16-2012, 10:11 AM
#11
Qarik is online now Qarik
Krazy Korean
Qarik's Avatar
Angie, something is not right. You say you have the SU800 in TTL mode but the SB900 is set to manual. If the the channels are set up corectly then the SB900 should not even have the option to switch to manual. You should have no control at all on SB900.
__________________
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old Mar-16-2012, 10:24 AM
#12
studio7 is offline studio7
Big grins
studio7's Avatar
This comes from the sb900 quick start guide.

You can set the SB-900 for remote operation using the
Off/On/Remote/Master setting switch.
1. Turn the switch while holding down the button in the center.
2. Align the index on the Off/On/Remote/Master switch
to REMOTE.
Setting a group and channel number on the remote flash units
1. Press the Function button 1, then turn the selector dial to choose
a desired group name, and press the OK button.
Group name and channel number being set appears larger.
For remote flash units where the flash mode and flash output level
compensation values are to be set identically, place these flash units
into the same group.
2. Press the Function button 2, then turn the selector dial to
choose a desired channel number, and press the OK button.
Be sure to choose the same channel number as set on the
Master flash unit or in the Commander mode on your camera.

Once you have the 900 set, use the same group on the su800 for control and the 800 will change everything for you, you don't have to touch the 900 again. ie, if the 900 is on group A, the su800 group A setting will control the output of the 900. From the photo above, it's in ttl mode with +3 ev. You can change it to 0ev and you can change from ttl to manual, etc.
__________________
V, Just V.
Nikon D700, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 70-300 VR, SB800, SB600
Alienbee B800x2, B400x2, Silver PLMx2
Old Mar-16-2012, 10:26 AM
#13
studio7 is offline studio7
Big grins
studio7's Avatar
The power syncs are a different animal. You set the 900 to manual and adjust the power level on the back of the 900, set the triggers to the same channel and they should fire.
__________________
V, Just V.
Nikon D700, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 70-300 VR, SB800, SB600
Alienbee B800x2, B400x2, Silver PLMx2
Old Mar-16-2012, 10:38 AM
#14
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarik View Post
Angie, something is not right. You say you have the SU800 in TTL mode but the SB900 is set to manual. If the the channels are set up corectly then the SB900 should not even have the option to switch to manual. You should have no control at all on SB900.
Yes!! Thank you! That's what I was thinking also .... But then I obviously don't know anything about the whole wireless thing. How do you think I should attack the problem?

So right now with the SU setup I get a VERY underexposed photo in the auto mode (flash is on auto / SU is on ttl) and an ok photo in manual 1/4 +0.7Ev (on my flash) and SU still on ttl.

*any input* is helpful at this point.

Thanks so much guys!
__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Old Mar-16-2012, 11:06 AM
#15
Qarik is online now Qarik
Krazy Korean
Qarik's Avatar
hmmm..stupid questions:

1) with SU in TTL mode, the EV is not set negative correct for that channel and group?
2) your camera body is not inadvertently set to neg EV correct?
3) you are shooting at reasonable flash to subject distance with unobstucted line of sight from the SU 800 to the IR port on the SB900 right?
4) you are not shooting in a cave right?
5) instead of using SU800, do you have another SB900 or SB800 to check to see if the SU800 is an issue?
6) you are not spot metering correct?
7) all your batteries are charged correct?

Send me a batch homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (semi sweet) when you tick through this list and find your issue!
__________________
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old Mar-16-2012, 11:32 AM
#16
Matthew Saville is offline Matthew Saville
Wedding Photographer
Matthew Saville's Avatar
The SB900 is in SU-4 mode it looks like, which is an opitcal slave mode NOT the regular CLS wireless remote mode. Change it to remote mode in the custom menu. (Hold down the OK button for a few seconds, then find the menu option with the zig-zag arrow that is the wireless remote symbol)

(Edit to add a bit of history: Nikon flashes have an "SU-4" remote mode that is customizable in the menu for remote settings, this is a throwback to an old optical trigger accessory called an SU-4 I believe, not sure. But optical remote triggering has nothing to do with Nikon's wireless CLS, in fact with the right camera settings SU-4 mode will give you wireless flash for ANY camera, even a point & shoot.)

Even though the SB900 now has a physical switch for remote / master etc, there is still a setting in the custom menu that controls what TYPE of remote it actually is.

Complicated, but that's part of the benefit of shooting Nikon- more options, more versatility, once you can master it.



BTW, dump the Power Syncs and get a set of better triggers, for when you need radio reliability insted of CLS. SLR Lounge is in the process of testing these triggers, and so far the results are very good: http://scottrobertla.com/scott-rober...rigger-system/ They're a little more pricey than the average Ebay junk, but they come with a warranty and a great, thorough tutorial video on everything Scott knows about how to use simple wirless flash setups to rock any type of portrait...

=Matt=
__________________
My first thought is always of light. Galen Rowell
My Personal Portfolio My Latest Work
Moderator of the Dgrin Weddings Forum
Old Mar-16-2012, 11:43 AM
#17
Matthew Saville is offline Matthew Saville
Wedding Photographer
Matthew Saville's Avatar
EDIT: This is the official SB900 manual, page C-20-ish

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/.../SB-900_en.pdf
__________________
My first thought is always of light. Galen Rowell
My Personal Portfolio My Latest Work
Moderator of the Dgrin Weddings Forum
Old Mar-16-2012, 11:50 AM
#18
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Just stepped out, will be at my computer again in a few hours, and will reply then - just wanted to say thank you for all the help so far, I'll check the links once I get back ....

... And haha about shooting in a cave :))) nope, I have a big window right next to me and my umbrella is about 60 inches away from my .... Let's call it 'still life' aka mess on my dresser :))) )

Thank you all!
__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Old Mar-16-2012, 12:39 PM
#19
Qarik is online now Qarik
Krazy Korean
Qarik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville View Post
The SB900 is in SU-4 mode it looks like, which is an opitcal slave mode NOT the regular CLS wireless remote mode. Change it to remote mode in the custom menu. (Hold down the OK button for a few seconds, then find the menu option with the zig-zag arrow that is the wireless remote symbol)

(Edit to add a bit of history: Nikon flashes have an "SU-4" remote mode that is customizable in the menu for remote settings, this is a throwback to an old optical trigger accessory called an SU-4 I believe, not sure. But optical remote triggering has nothing to do with Nikon's wireless CLS, in fact with the right camera settings SU-4 mode will give you wireless flash for ANY camera, even a point & shoot.)

Even though the SB900 now has a physical switch for remote / master etc, there is still a setting in the custom menu that controls what TYPE of remote it actually is.

Complicated, but that's part of the benefit of shooting Nikon- more options, more versatility, once you can master it.



BTW, dump the Power Syncs and get a set of better triggers, for when you need radio reliability insted of CLS. SLR Lounge is in the process of testing these triggers, and so far the results are very good: http://scottrobertla.com/scott-rober...rigger-system/ They're a little more pricey than the average Ebay junk, but they come with a warranty and a great, thorough tutorial video on everything Scott knows about how to use simple wirless flash setups to rock any type of portrait...

=Matt=

this sounds correct..that explains why manual worked but not TTL.

edit: angie please send cookies anyway for the brain cells I lost today
__________________
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old Mar-17-2012, 07:46 AM
#20
Agnieszka is offline Agnieszka OP
Photoshopping ...
Agnieszka's Avatar
Ok, I'm back again with an update :o) I DID manage to get the SU to work AND my PowerSyncs!!!! ... actually (unfortunately) I am not sure how I ended up doing this (SU) as I stuck my nose into my camera settings and changed some random things (not the way to do it, probably the reason things got messed up in the first place), BUT you were right Matthew, the "zig-zag arrow / above the little camera" icon was missing (for the SU)! I wasn't able to open up your first link (Matthew), so I'm gonna kick myself if I will ever manage to change my camera settings again and mess things up. Grrrrrr.

My husband just told me to tell you guys THANK YOU from him, as I was getting a liiiiitle bit grouchy in the last couple of days Seriously though, THANKS to all of you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by studio7 View Post
The power syncs are a different animal. You set the 900 to manual and adjust the power level on the back of the 900, set the triggers to the same channel and they should fire.
Thank you for your help! ... I seriously thought I had to have it on TTL (which just shows how little I know I guess)

And thanks also to you, Qarik! You mentioned some great points, that anybody should check if they have any issues with their flashes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarik View Post
hmmm..stupid questions:

1) with SU in TTL mode, the EV is not set negative correct for that channel and group?

2) your camera body is not inadvertently set to neg EV correct?

3) you are shooting at reasonable flash to subject distance with unobstucted line of sight from the SU 800 to the IR port on the SB900 right?

4) you are not shooting in a cave right?
> sure felt like I was in a dark, dark place in my life for the last 2 days

5) instead of using SU800, do you have another SB900 or SB800 to check to see if the SU800 is an issue?

6) you are not spot metering correct?

7) all your batteries are charged correct?


Send me a batch homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (semi sweet) when you tick through this list and find your issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville View Post
... BTW, dump the Power Syncs and get a set of better triggers, for when you need radio reliability insted of CLS. SLR Lounge is in the process of testing these triggers, and so far the results are very good: http://scottrobertla.com/scott-rober...rigger-system/ They're a little more pricey than the average Ebay junk, but they come with a warranty and a great, thorough tutorial video on everything Scott knows about how to use simple wirless flash setups to rock any type of portrait...
=Matt=
Ahhh! I wish, but I spent enough money on gadgets recently and the PowerSyncs work now, wohooo!

Cyber homemade cookies for everybody on here, you sure saved me!

Helllllllooooooo creative flash photography .... ahhhh the possibilities
THANK YOU!
__________________
Angie blog | website | facebook page | google+
Page 1  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!  
Similar Threads Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling all Nikon shooters dadwtwins Technique 4 Jun-09-2009 05:47 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump