Options

Can a Gallery's "Date Created" be modified

dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
This would make "sort galleries by: most recent " work for me....

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    I think it would be useful too. Especially when uploading past works.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    iamhivesiamhives Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    I think it would be useful too. Especially when uploading past works.
    Another vote for this capability here also
  • Options
    aporteraporter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2010
    I realize this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with a way to easily modify the album "updated" dates? Here are the specific use cases I have run into so far (I'm new to SmugMug):

1. Bulk uploading of older albums. In this case it would be nice to match the original album dates with the "updated" dates. I ran into problems while uploading a lot of albums in parallel since even the relatively close together "updated" dates were not in the right order to allow proper date based sorting. In my case the album names include a date so mapping this to the updated date would be ideal (2002-12-25 Christmas for example).

2. Adding a few additional pics from another camera to an existing event album causes that album's "updated" date to change to the current date. In my case this brings the album to the top of the recent albums list when in fact I'd rather keep the recent albums sorted by reverse alphabet (aka event date). Unfortunately I'm not aware of an rss feed with this sorting, so therefore I'm trying to manipulate the "updated" date of the album to make it work using the recent albums hack.

For now if I cause a sorting problem by adding something to an older event gallery I use these steps:
    1. Upload a new image to each of the most recent X galleries that I want to show up in the most recent list, starting with the oldest gallery.
    2. Delete the newly uploaded image from each of the galleries
    This changes all of the "updated" dates to today, but at least puts them in the right order.

Andrew
  • Options
    MarcusTMarcusT Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    I'd like to be able to override the date/time info too, both in "gallery settings" and via the API.
  • Options
    sittingstillsittingstill Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    This is a feature I'd like to have as well. I shoot baseball, and all my galleries are date/game specific. I have a lot of photos on the site I had before joining SmugMug. I'd love to upload them here, because I could keyword them by player (which I couldn't on my old site), but I don't want old photos mixed in with the new ones when someone clicks a keyword. I'd love to be able to input the date I want used in sorting so they show up in reverse chronological order.

Kelly
    sittingstill

• Options
    MarcusTMarcusT Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    *bump*
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2010
    I continue to run into this problem, any word on a solution?
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    For the site I helped maintain (photo sharing for my son's preschool -- shared Assistant Password to allow multiple uploaders), I tried to enforce a strict naming convention of: 2010.09.17 - Event Name.

While it's not as great as being able to manually override "Date Created" and then sort by _most recent_, it *does* allow me to click on _arrange_, and then do a "quick sort" by Title, and reverse it.

Ideally there would be an option to sort by Gallery Title, or reverse-sort by Gallery Title.

But seeing as how this issue was originally brought up in 2005 and hasn't been resolved (or even commented upon by anybody official), it doesn't seem to be a particularly high-priority for SmugMug.

SmugMug's presentation of photos with regards to organization unfortunately relies on a lot of manual tweaking if you want it to look right. This has been annoying for some time. I suppose if you're a wedding photog that's picking and choosing photos and galleries and making them private (and part of an "event"), then it's not a big deal.

But for high-volume, frequent uploaders (personal photos, sport event shooters, etc.), this lack of more automated sorting of galleries sucks. It's a big reason why I don't use SmugMug for personal photos anymore. :-{
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2010
    In my case I do adhere to strict naming conventions so arranging in reverse alphabetical order can work for an entire category, or if I wanted to display all albums on the home page. However, I like to display the "most recent x" albums on the home page and I'm not aware of a way to do this based on alphabet instead of date. I suppose one could use a title based RSS feed to pull it off, but I don't think one exists...

Andrew
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    aporter wrote: »
    In my case I do adhere to strict naming conventions so arranging in reverse alphabetical order can work for an entire category, or if I wanted to display all albums on the home page. However, I like to display the "most recent x" albums on the home page and I'm not aware of a way to do this based on alphabet instead of date. I suppose one could use a title based RSS feed to pull it off, but I don't think one exists...

Andrew

Hrm. You could probably get a list of albums via an unauthenticated call to the API, but it'd be slow to have to pull the full list down, then reverse sort it by title then just pluck the x number of albums you want.