Options

Model Release

UCNCTimUCNCTim Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 11, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I intend to take photos of high school sports and sell them- do I need to have a model release? My intent is to sell to player's family & friends - and I would use them in an editorial nature (blog).

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Usually high school sports photography requires permission to do anything commercial with the images from a larger organization. I would check with the school district the high school is in to see what their policy is. I am sure you remember, but it is worth stating. Most of the participants are minors. That adds additional considerations. I'm not sure just a standard modeling release will cut it. Some people say to call the school. I think that is ill advised. The district office is your best bet because the local educators in the school are often unaware of legal issues. They might give you permission that isn't theirs to give. You could still get in trouble. The district office is where the lawyers work.

For editorial use most of the time it is going to be okay. It depends a great deal on the specific situation. When it doubt stand where the crowd is and you'll be safe. If you start walking around sidelines, etc, you may be asked to leave or risk being charged with trespassing.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    UCNCTim wrote: »
    I intend to take photos of high school sports and sell them- do I need to have a model release? My intent is to sell to player's family & friends - and I would use them in an editorial nature (blog).

I think you will need to get a hold of the athletic association to see who has the photo contract and go from there, that could be determined at the school level or the Dist. level, really just depends on where you are at ... shooting from the stands will not net the best pix but the sidelines are reserved for the official photog(s), but I have seem some amazing pix from the stands, as it allows for a whole different perspective.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    UCNCTim wrote: »

As original as that idea is, you have to admit it might have been done before, so a google search would be a good place to glance at first:

http://www.google.com/search?q=do+i+need+a+model+release+to+sell+high+school+sports+pictures