Options

Entry Thread DSS #98 (Contrasting Colors - SOOC)

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited March 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #98

Welcome to Round #98 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, March 5, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, March 19, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Contrasting Colors - SOOC

The object is to get two dominating colors in an image that are contrasting each other on the color wheel. By contrasting I mean choose one color on the color wheel and look at the opposite 'contrasting' color. Thus looking at this color wheel, if red is your main color, then green has to be a dominate color in the picture too. You may have more than 2 colors in your image, however the two contrasting colors have to be very prominate and overpowering in the image.

i-KvP3FSj-XL.jpg

For extra reading up on the subject:
Contrasting Colors
Complementary Colors

This is a SOOC (straight out of camera) round. Thus there will be NO signatures or post editing this round. You should take into consideration of camera settings before shooting to get the best image. This also means you will have to shoot in jpg. It is best to just upload directly from your camera to the gallery. Do not use any editing software to view or upload your images first.

Your Judge:

1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #98 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period and be titled properly. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Awesome. Should be something different. FYI I think SOOC = (Straight Out Of Camera)
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Color? It's winter, I haven't seen color for months....:giggle
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Oh dear, this challenge reminds me of some of the clothes I used to wear in the 70s wings.gif
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    johnloguk wrote: »
    Oh dear, this challenge reminds me of some of the clothes I used to wear in the 70s wings.gif

ROFLaughing.gif!! yeah! You're comment really made me laugh!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    kwickers wrote: »
    Awesome. Should be something different. FYI I think SOOC = (Straight Out Of Camera)

SOOC? uh oh ..
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    kwickers wrote: »

Your right and I knew that! Just doing these things so late at night, I find all kinds of mistakes in the morning after posting. eek7.gif All fixed now, thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    I have added some reading links if people want to know more about the subject. You can find the links in the OP under the image.
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    so I assume if I shoot with B&W settings "in camera" I'm good to go on any subject?:D

:Dthumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    I have added some reading links if people want to know more about the subject. You can find the links in the OP under the image.

Just an fyi, your link for Complementary Colors doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    Just an fyi, your link for Complementary Colors doesn't work.

Thanks for letting me know. All fixed now!thumb.gif
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Hi there guys, I'm having an issue, well I think it's an issue. I uploaded my photo for this challange and it's giving a modified time for the photo but I didn't modify it. When I look at the photo in my Viewnx program it gives the date/time taken as identical but not on the data in my uploaded photo on the challange site. Did I do something wrong? Any help on this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    endurodog wrote: »
    Hi there guys, I'm having an issue, well I think it's an issue. I uploaded my photo for this challange and it's giving a modified time for the photo but I didn't modify it. When I look at the photo in my Viewnx program it gives the date/time taken as identical but not on the data in my uploaded photo on the challange site. Did I do something wrong? Any help on this would be appreciated.

It may be how you uploaded it. I noted that when I uploaded to Smug using the utility in PSE it changed my modified time... but when I uploaded to smug from smug and browsed to find the file on my computer it uploaded without changing the time.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    It may be how you uploaded it. I noted that when I uploaded to Smug using the utility in PSE it changed my modified time... but when I uploaded to smug from smug and browsed to find the file on my computer it uploaded without changing the time.

Thanks Pedalgirl.

I saw your post on that and I never even put it in PS. I downloaded using the Nikon download utility and then up loaded straight from my Windows picture library. I did the shots in my back yard and downloaded them right away. The times are my shoot time and down load times. The bad thing is I have all ready cleared them out of my camera. When I look at the picture using the Nikon View program it doesn't give the modified time any different than the shoot time so I'm not sure where that info is coming from even.

May just have to take the DQ on this one and sit it out.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    I had that happen once with a SOOC. It happened because I uploaded to SmugMug to get a good look at it before uploading to the Challenge. For some reason, that changed the date modified. It had already erased from my camera so I was SOL.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    I recall this being a problem for some in the last SOOC Challenge and believe that there were issues with a couple of different pieced of software that marked transfer from the camera to computer as modification. If I remember, one solution that was suggested was to use a card reader to transfer to the computer directly through the OS.

I'd also suggest that even the act of viewing it in some software might "modify" it, so it would be wise to keep either leave files on the card until you pick your shot or download them to two locations (one to use for viewing, etc. and another to save for direct upload to the gallery.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Joyce, I need a clarification. You have asked for contrasting colors and you indicate that you want them to be opposite on the wheel above. In that case, red/green, blue/ orange and yellow/purple would be opposite on the wheel.

In the articles you reference, we see red/cyan, blue/yellow and green/majenta to be opposite pairs. That is correct for light. The wheel you've shown in the thread is for pigment, I'd guess.

Which pairs are you looking for? Or do both sets of contrasting colors work for this challenge?

thanks,
    Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    Good question, Chris. I prepared using the wheel posted above. I did notice that some of the entries are not the same as the wheel posted above.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Joyce, I need a clarification. You have asked for contrasting colors and you indicate that you want them to be opposite on the wheel above. In that case, red/green, blue/ orange and yellow/purple would be opposite on the wheel.

In the articles you reference, we see red/cyan, blue/yellow and green/majenta to be opposite pairs. That is correct for light. The wheel you've shown in the thread is for pigment, I'd guess.

Which pairs are you looking for? Or do both sets of contrasting colors work for this challenge?

thanks,
    Chris

I haven't read the linked article, but I was thinking about this:

The wheel shown is for CMYK colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) - which are,yes pigment colors - for print

The Wheel for RGB colors (light/screen colors: Red, Green Blue) is a little different, exactly as you say

Which one should we use mwink.gif

Also, I'm wondering if we are allowed to use the cropping tool available in the SmugMug/Dgrin Gallery...headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    BTW: Here I found some useful tools for contrasting colors:

http://www.colorspire.com/rgb-color-wheel/

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012

thanks,
    Chris

there are two types in the discussions that I posted above. There is the artist color wheel and the photographer/digital color wheel. You can choose either one as long as the two dominate colors are opposites on one of the color wheels.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012

The wheel shown is for CMYK colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) - which are,yes pigment colors - for print

The Wheel for RGB colors (light/screen colors: Red, Green Blue) is a little different, exactly as you say

Also, I'm wondering if we are allowed to use the cropping tool available in the SmugMug/Dgrin Gallery...headscratch.gif

See my above reply for color wheels.

As for cropping...no. NO post processing. This is to stretch you to rely completely on your camera settings and your ability to capture the picture you want through the view finder!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    for those who need additional help with getting their images into the gallery without a card reader, this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=199718&highlight=sooc&page=3 starting half way down with page with ghinson's post and on is a discussion on how we learned about this the last SOOC.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    Tatiana, I happen to have format choices in my camera for 16:9, so for those that do also... keep it in mind for a unique comp.
    thumb.gif

I hadn't thought of changing aspect ratio in camera... great idea! thumb.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I hadn't thought of changing aspect ratio in camera... great idea! thumb.gif

Neither I, nor ever heard about this... rolleyes1.gif

I happen to have a Canon 50D which has a fix (seems like) aspect ration 3:2 - I couldn't find any place to change it...

Oh, well... I hope to take a good shot ,with a good contrasting colors regardless the aspect ratio mwink.gif

Thank you Aaron thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    Tatiana, I happen to have format choices in my camera for 16:9, so for those that do also... keep it in mind for a unique comp.
    thumb.gif

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that.
    :D Wonder how many of us will try that now that you mentioned it.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    See my above reply for color wheels.

As for cropping...no. NO post processing. This is to stretch you to rely completely on your camera settings and your ability to capture the picture you want through the view finder!thumb.gif

thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    I've been looking at my camera for all kinds of settings. Haven't checked aspect ratio yet though. I think I have it where I want it now. Just need the subject!
    SandiZ
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012

RGB. You ain't going for print.

In other news, I realized I forgot to shoot large .jpg with an image. If I like it, I guess it's going to be a small .jpg.

PS: how you guys gonna confirm it's OOC? I mean, I almost always shoot near to OOC anyways, but ...
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    there are two types in the discussions that I posted above. There is the artist color wheel and the photographer/digital color wheel. You can choose either one as long as the two dominate colors are opposites on one of the color wheels.

Thanks, Joyce.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    for those who need additional help with getting their images into the gallery without a card reader, this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=199718&highlight=sooc&page=3 starting half way down with page with ghinson's post and on is a discussion on how we learned about this the last SOOC.

Of course, I just uploaded a picture to the gallery, shot while away on a business trip this past week, shot RAW as per usual, converted but not edited, and will have to watch it just be DQ'ed.

Hopefully will have time to try a new idea...

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com