• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Accessories Kickstarter TriggerHappy Remote

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 2  of  2
1 2
Old Mar-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Harrington is offline Harrington
SmugGuru
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoren1 View Post
Can you comment on the HDR portion - number of brackets and range of EV?

My current build allows for up to 9 images and 16 stops. Does that answer your question?
Old Mar-06-2012, 09:07 AM
eoren1 is offline eoren1
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
My current build allows for up to 9 images and 16 stops. Does that answer your question?
Yes...nice setup!
Old Mar-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Matthew Saville is offline Matthew Saville
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
That is AWESOME. Next, I want to see the ability for on-site backup via 3G / 4G, for RAW or JPG files. :-P

=Matt=
Old Mar-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
Clever idea! Just backed $55..
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Mar-12-2012, 08:10 AM
eoren1 is offline eoren1
Major grins
What happens if a call comes in during a shoot? If there is something plugged into the headphone jack, presumably the ringtone would go out through it and interfere with whatever interval/bracket is ongoing. Same goes for using apps that might play music while letting the intervalometer run. Will the app automatically put the phone into mute mode and/or block audio via the headphone jack?
Old Mar-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
What happens if a call comes in during a shoot? If there is something plugged into the headphone jack, presumably the ringtone would go out through it and interfere with whatever interval/bracket is ongoing. Same goes for using apps that might play music while letting the intervalometer run. Will the app automatically put the phone into mute mode and/or block audio via the headphone jack?
I have dibs on the idea! Time-lapse shooting, where the time interval length is dictated by the music rythm Should be pretty cool for a slide show where the same music is used as the bg...:-)
Old Mar-14-2012, 12:04 PM
eoren1 is offline eoren1
Major grins
Looks like you guys are funded! Congratulations!
I would like clarification of any audio issues before I order one. I don't see this addressed in the Kickstarter page and cannot comment there as I am not yet a backer.
Old Mar-20-2012, 12:47 PM
kdog is offline kdog
artistically challenged
Quote:
I would like clarification of any audio issues before I order one. I don't see this addressed in the Kickstarter page and cannot comment there as I am not yet a backer.
I believe this was already answered here.

Quote:
Making calls while shooting does not work, because TriggerHappy leverages the audio hardware to control the camera.
That's a show-stopper for me, not only for calls, but also for not being able to play music either during a long night of shooting.
Old Mar-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That's a show-stopper for me, not only for calls, but also for not being able to play music either during a long night of shooting.
Well, I wouldn't count on a multihour exposure on this. TC-N3 is fine for those cases...
I mostly plan to use it for simple bulb mode shots 15..30 min after sunset... I think I can survive 15-30 min w/o phone calls ;-)
Old Mar-20-2012, 03:00 PM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
I view the no-calls thing as a benefit personally. But I can see how that would be problematic for some. Music, I have an ipod too so I don't worry about that as much.

Can't wait!
Old Mar-20-2012, 04:05 PM
cmason is offline cmason
Old dog, new tricks
This looks fantastic, I am going to push the button on this, brilliant idea guys!

I dont worry much about making a call while using this, as I can wait to make that call, but if one comes in a screws up a shoot, that would stink.

However, at least on an iphone, the mute switch turns off the ring, but leaves the headphone jack working, right? (although perhaps the phone rings on headphones, not sure about that)
Old Mar-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmason View Post
This looks fantastic, I am going to push the button on this, brilliant idea guys!

I dont worry much about making a call while using this, as I can wait to make that call, but if one comes in a screws up a shoot, that would stink.

However, at least on an iphone, the mute switch turns off the ring, but leaves the headphone jack working, right? (although perhaps the phone rings on headphones, not sure about that)
Unless I'm mistaken, this cable *is* using headphone jack....
Old Mar-20-2012, 05:36 PM
cmason is offline cmason
Old dog, new tricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, this cable *is* using headphone jack....
Right, I understand that. Putting the phone on mute will mute the external speaker/ringer, but you can still listen to music w headphones, therefore it does not mute the headphone jack.

what I don't know, but suspect, is that though the external speaker/ringer doesnt sound under mute, it does 'ring' over the headphone jack.
Old Mar-21-2012, 05:44 AM
eoren1 is offline eoren1
Major grins
Also, I don't know that all apps/games respect the mute switch. I seem to recall a few instances where I could still hear audio despite the mute switch being on. And definitely video seems to have its own audio switch as you can get audio out while mute is on if you go to youtube.

While I like this concept, I really think these limitations should have been clearly spelled out on the Kickstarter page. There is still not an update to tell backers about this - there is some info buried in the comments section.

When I'm out shooting, the last thing I want to do is relegate my iphone to airplane mode and muted - especially during a long timelapse.
Old Mar-24-2012, 12:55 PM
bloomphotog is offline bloomphotog
Major grins
Backed! Good work, Harrington. Looking forward to taking delivery!
Old Mar-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Jamesbjenkins is offline Jamesbjenkins
Live, shoot, post, repeat
Trigger Happy remote shutter release
[fyi, this thread was moved here, guys...]

Hey all,

I recently saw an article on Gizmodo about this Kickstarter project that turns your Android / iDevice into a full function shutter release. It has everything I was looking for from Nikon, and a lot more.

I just pledged my support for the project. Maybe some of you guys will be as interested as I am...

Link to kickstarter.
Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys

Last edited by Jamesbjenkins; Mar-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Page 2  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!