• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Documentary Something simple

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Feb-22-2012, 03:20 PM
michswiss is offline michswiss OP
Stuffed Animal
Something simple
Old Feb-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Nmahooch is offline Nmahooch
Major grins
I like it. I think cropping it a little bit to remove the dark silhouette on the bottom left would make it even better. It's just a bit of a distraction.

Other than that, nice shot.
Old Feb-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Juano is offline Juano
Major grins
Sweet, nice and simple. Cropping might help, I like the BW conversion.

www.mind-driftphoto.com
Old Feb-22-2012, 10:20 PM
bfjr is offline bfjr
Which Way Did They Go
Give me Five, nice.
G+
Old Feb-23-2012, 04:48 AM
Quincy T is offline Quincy T
from ear to ear
I like it! Really well exposed too, I must say.

Old Mar-01-2012, 04:53 AM
Stuffed Animal
I hadn't said thanks. Thanks guys. I always appreciate any feedback.
Old Mar-01-2012, 06:16 AM
lizzard_nyc is offline lizzard_nyc
Zygote Grinner
I like the little gir's hint of a smile mirroring the mom's smile. Nice moment you captured.
Course the dad is on the cell, someone is always on the cell!
Old Mar-01-2012, 08:17 AM
bdcolen is offline bdcolen
CaptureReality
Quote:
Originally Posted by michswiss View Post
I hadn't said thanks. Thanks guys. I always appreciate any feedback.
Nice one, Jen, and do not crop. The figure on the left frames that side of the scene.

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
Old Mar-01-2012, 09:58 AM
RSL is offline RSL
Streeter
It's a really fine shot, Jennifer, though I wish that hillside in the background weren't exactly behind where the hands meet. You might be able to overcome the problem by going into the color version of the pic and changing the color of the hillside to something that'll convert to a very dark or very light gray. Viveza could do it with about two clicks, but it also might be fairly easy with the magic wand.

As far as cropping is concerned: don't! The composition needs the dark silhouette on the left to balance the dark building on the right.

In any case, great catch!
Old Mar-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Kinkajou is offline Kinkajou
Major grins
Love it! And I agree that it shouldn't be cropped... the dark edges frame it well and provide depth to the image. Really great shot!

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
Old Mar-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Stuffed Animal
Thanks B.D., Russ, Kinkajou. Don't worry, I'm not about to go cropping. If I crop, it's done before I'd ever post it. Not that I get it right every time, far from it. I've also tried a number of ways to bring more separation of the hands to the background, including colour versions. I'm going to let it sit for a while and maybe come back to it in a month or two.
Tell The World!