73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited February 22, 2012 in Sports
Thought I'd share a few of my better shots from a game last week :

12-GBB-Wilmot-at-W-SS-A129-L.jpg

12-GBB-Wilmot-at-W-SS-A125-L.jpg

12-GBB-Wilmot-at-W-SS-A150-L.jpg

12-GBB-Wilmot-at-W-SS-A141-L.jpg

12-GBB-Wilmot-at-W-SS-A172-L.jpg

Again, shot with a Canon 7D, 50mm f1.4 Prime Lens, 580 EX Speedlight (mounted on camera and turned down to 1/64th power) Shutter Speed 640/sec, ISO 800, and cropped at 4 X 6 for my editor. Why 4 X 6? Easy sales and my editor prefrers it that way.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    (shakes head) I have NO idea why your editor would prefer it that way. What dpi? (I ask, because the industry standard for wire - at least two years ago - was 10" on longest edge @ 200dpi.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    (shakes head) I have NO idea why your editor would prefer it that way. What dpi? (I ask, because the industry standard for wire - at least two years ago - was 10" on longest edge @ 200dpi.

I think it's because the papers I shoot for are smaller size weekly editions. With a 4 X 6 they can be neatly resized to fit into a story column.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    73Rocks wrote: »
    I think it's because the papers I shoot for are smaller size weekly editions. With a 4 X 6 they can be neatly resized to fit into a story column.

Still doesn't make sense to me. I push 18 mp images off the 7d, and have no problem sizing the images to fit two columns, and we've got way-small circ numbers.

Sounds to me like someone's missing a link in the pagination toolbox ... I'd rather have larger than small. In fact, small is what usually screws me up (folks sending images by email, and allowing the email program to shrink images to postage-stamp sizes, then wondering why I say "This image is only about an inch wide were it to go to print ...")
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Still doesn't make sense to me. I push 18 mp images off the 7d, and have no problem sizing the images to fit two columns, and we've got way-small circ numbers.

Sounds to me like someone's missing a link in the pagination toolbox ... I'd rather have larger than small. In fact, small is what usually screws me up (folks sending images by email, and allowing the email program to shrink images to postage-stamp sizes, then wondering why I say "This image is only about an inch wide were it to go to print ...")

Like I said - I don't know why my editor requests the images be sent the way I send them. I usually don't even mention that the images are cropped to 4 X 6 unless I get some CC about "dead space". I then explain that I crop all my images to 4 X 6 (or 6 X 4 . . . which ever works best) and then I seem to get beat up about it.

I know I will get a lot of "WTFs" over this next one but here goes - she also requests that the images I send be no larger than 1 meg in size.

To show that it works for her I am going to post an example -

Here is a shot I sent her 5 years ago, a 4 X 6 image at about 700KBs -

i-CPw2WJs-L.jpg

I was just starting out so I was pretty green about the old addage "Faces Sell!" She eMailed me back before the paper went to print to tell me she cropped 1 of my images. I replied that it was her image now and she could manipulate it however she wanted to make it work.

That week when the paper came in the mail this is the same image that I sent her cropped and sitting on the entire top 1/4 right hand side of the front page :

i-vmTwJ8v-L.jpg

How she does it, I don't know . . . I just know I get paid.

Hopefully this will put to rest the "4 X 6" question.
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Her crop is better than yours. It isolates the players better, shows more action and expression.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Her crop is better than yours. It isolates the players better, shows more action and expression.

In fairness to 73Rocks, he was not free to crop as he might have wanted to. His client set the parameters - he supplied what was asked for, and then the editor was able to crop to her requirements.

We may not understand the editor's thinking, but 73Rocks is supplying what he has been asked for.
    I generally send in a loosely cropped image so the local paper have options as to how they might use it and make it fit. Sometimes they butcher them and although I not delighted about it, I don't let it bother me.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com