Options

Not really the 60s...

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 1, 2005 in People
...though some of these people might think so.

42412562-L.jpg

This was after a peace rally on Boston Common last Saturday where Cindy Sheehan came to speak. I got there late and these people were very angry, and the police were "controlling" them.

42413864-L.jpg

I asked a policeman what was going on and he told me that there had been a group of about 6 neo-nazis and skinheads around the corner provoking the larger crowd of antiwar demonstrators into a frenzy.

42415325-L.jpg

The police clearly saw their job as being keeping the two groups apart. They did this in an extremely moderate and good humored way, which is one big difference from how I remember the police in the 60s, especially in Boston.

42418482-L.jpg

I asked this man where the neo-nazis and skinheads were. I told him I wanted to take pictures of them. He told me, "they aren't worth it."

I went looking for them, but unfortunately (for me the photographer), they had dispersed then.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    I love both of your protestor series of shots here John.

Did you use a filter to protect the front surface of your lens from the snow? The freeze framed snow really helps display the weather you were shooting in too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love both of your protestor series of shots here John.

Did you use a filter to protect the front surface of your lens from the snow? The freeze framed snow really helps display the weather you were shooting in too.

I do keep a UV filter on most my lenses most of the time. These were shot with 5D + 24-70 f/2.4L. There is a story about the camera and the weather, but I'll post eventually on the cameras forum as it's not very relevant here.

My usual workflow, especially L curve and sharpening did wonders for that snow.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    I really like the last two images in this series. The color was excellent - deep, rich, but without oversaturation, and very natural looking. Great captures. I thought perhaps LAB played a a small role here.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I really like the last two images in this series. The color was excellent - deep, rich, but without oversaturation, and very natural looking. Great captures. I thought perhaps LAB played a a small role here.

Thank you, Jim. The first three got essentially the same treatment. ACR with custom white balance on one of the signs. Convert to LAB. A little shadow/highlight on the L channel to recover some shadow detail. LAB curves with A 10, B 15 steepening. Two passes of USM, conventional and HIRALOAM.

The last got the LAB book Chapter 16 technique which is just starting to work for me after some false starts. I'm about ready to write two LAB summaries now, Ch 8 and Ch 16.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    A very nice bit of photojournalism. Thanks for sharing these.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    A few there where ice and snow on the lens added to the feeling of the event and day.

Sometimes when the sanitized world we live in shows some smudging, its a good thing. Great technical photo's, great captures of events. Great Job!

Onya,

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Another great series and report. But I have to ask you, what the hell is going on up there in Boston? Seems be be an awful lot of unhappy people up there. :uhoh

Bear
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Another great series! Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    I want to see bias, violence and brutality! I demand brutality in my political shots: especially photojournalism.

If the police won't oblige, get down low and make those poor students look mean and intimidating. Too bad about the super bad guys!

ginger:D (I have to leave one smiley, I took the other 10 off.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Man, all this good pj you're doing maybe you might want to come to one of these
    http://www.photojournalism.org/info.html
    (or come on down to Atlanta)