Options

SmugMug publishing removed from Lightroom 4?

dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited April 9, 2013 in SmugMug Support
According to this post from Adobe, it seems as though the built-in support for SmugMug publishing is being dropped from Lightroom 4:
We’ve removed the SmugMug plug-in by default so that SmugMug can innovate and update the plug-in outside of Lightroom’s regular release cycle. It will not be included in Lightroom 4, but plug-in data will be migrated as part of the catalog upgrade process.
I certainly hope I'm misreading this, and that I won't be losing this functionality. Can anybody comment on what this really means?

Comments

• Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    We're not dropping support for the plugin in LR4; the plugin just won't *ship* with LR4. As it is now, it's difficult for us to offer updates to the plugin, as we have to wait for the next dot release of LR in order to make changes to the plugin. With LR4, you'll still be able to use the plugin; you'd just need to install the plugin separately. We have the plugin itself available here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/121321

This will allow us to offer updates for the plugin outside of LR's dot releases. Do note that we don't specifically support LR4 at the moment, since it's still a beta.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Thanks for that information. It actually sounds like good news, as long as full LR4 support comes along with the official LR4 release.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2012
    dberthia wrote: »
    Thanks for that information. It actually sounds like good news, as long as full LR4 support comes along with the official LR4 release.

Even though we aren't officially supporting LR4 atm, the plugin should work fine...but I'm interested to know if you run into any issues.

I've been testing it on and off for several months and the current plugin release seems to be working well.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    L o R a CL o R a C Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Hello! I just added this to my new Lightroom 4. It's asking my to sync some of my pictures. Is that normal? Should I just cancel the sync? If I should continue, would a JPEG and a TIF of the same photo be a match? Sometimes they're both JPEG...ne_nau.gif
    Carol
    My Website | Blog | Facebook | Google+
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Howdy. The sync is the way that you can associate your local images with your remote (SmugMug) images. You should select the original based on what you know of the images. Which one do you consider to be the match. There is no one right answer. It does the sync by looking at Date & Time as well as file name. After a few syncs you will get the hang of it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2012
    Howdy. The sync is the way that you can associate your local images with your remote (SmugMug) images. You should select the original based on what you know of the images. Which one do you consider to be the match. There is no one right answer. It does the sync by looking at Date & Time as well as file name. After a few syncs you will get the hang of it.

I'm a little OCD though, lol. Should I sync a JPEG with a TIFF or RAW? I guess it wouldn't hurt? Match to me means JPEG with a JPEG.
    Carol
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    You should sync the source file with the output. Sorry it is not a better answer but if the source file that you published is a DNG or a TIF that is what you should sync. It is more important to associate the source file with the output than it is to match file types.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    BYUGRLBYUGRL Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2013
    L o R a C wrote: »
    I'm a little OCD though, lol. Should I sync a JPEG with a TIFF or RAW? I guess it wouldn't hurt? Match to me means JPEG with a JPEG.

LoRac, good luck getting an answer to this one. I got a new workstation system at christmas and had to do a fresh install of everything. I upgraded LR to version 4.0. My smugmug plugin no longer worked and i have spent the last few months with support to NO avail. I had multiple image conflicts when they told me to sync due to the fact that my LR images were final version TIFFS -and the uploaded SM version was a JPG. i have asked multiple times what do i do in this situation but like you they give me vaque answers. For some reason they dont want to say yes or no to the question " is a tiff file and a jpg file of the same image a match?"
    I am giving up on getting my plugin thru LR WORKING Again.
    I am looking elsewhere due to the poor response.
    Just my experience
    Byugrl
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    BYUGRL wrote: »
    LoRac, good luck getting an answer to this one. I got a new workstation system at christmas and had to do a fresh install of everything. I upgraded LR to version 4.0. My smugmug plugin no longer worked and i have spent the last few months with support to NO avail. I had multiple image conflicts when they told me to sync due to the fact that my LR images were final version TIFFS -and the uploaded SM version was a JPG. i have asked multiple times what do i do in this situation but like you they give me vaque answers. For some reason they dont want to say yes or no to the question " is a tiff file and a jpg file of the same image a match?"
    Just my experience
    Byugrl

I left SM. Wanted a prof site w/out having to actually worry about codes etc. I won a contest and now have a site on WP. Thanks for the response though! :)
    Carol
  • Options
    EntropicTendenciesEntropicTendencies Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    BYUGRL wrote: »
    Just my experience
    Byugrl

I was the one who was working with you on that issue - you didn't respond to my last reply to you on December 31st. I'll post that response here because it's generally useful information:

The export from LR3 / import to LR4 has essentially given you an upgrade because you are now running LR4. It also discarded a lot of information, so it's not the same as just upgrading a catalog. LR4 is not part of this issue - a similar export from LR3 and import to LR3 would face exactly the same issue.

When you publish, Lightroom generates temporary JPEG copies of the source image (whatever format) for upload. It doesn't keep these.

As I previously explained only the SmugMug display copies have the watermark (unless you chose to embed a Lightroom watermark when you published). We generate the different sizes of display copy when you upload your images - it is these which show the watermark. Your "original" on SmugMug is the JPEG generated by Lightroom - it shouldn't be watermarked (if it is then that's what you uploaded based on the publish service configuration or the original image).

You should be matching the master file in Lightroom to the matching image on SmugMug - the master file could be a TIFF or raw file (or even a JPEG if that was what you shot).

Because your online JPEGs have been stripped of the helpful meta data (that's an option in the publish service configuration) the plugin doesn't have sufficient information to make an automatic match and you have to make the choice.

I've just noticed that you only have 745 images online, so while the process of working through the conflict resolution stage will be tedious, it isn't insurmountable. Unless you have two images with the same filename (ignoring the type), you should just be confirming the match rather than choosing between multiple images.

When you run the sync, the "sync hierarchy" is the part that creates the gallery structure in Lightroom. The "sync photos" is the part that tries to match the images. If you choose to cancel you can run it again later and it will just start again at the point where you cancelled (so you can break the task into manageable chunks).

It is also possible to sync photos within each gallery in LR - right-click on the gallery and select "edit gallery" - http://note.io/VUqVaG (I have the advanced option enabled in this screenshot).

Barrie
    Smugmug Support Hero
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Barrie,

This leaves one open question, that I too never got a good answer for when I was working with the helpdesk. (apologies in advance for not having LR available as I write this, so I might get the screens a bit wrong).

The LR plugin configuration has a dropdown to select (something along the lines of) "upload as" and you get a choice of jpeg, tiff, or psd. It is known that smugmug does not support PSD and TIFF. What does this option do if you dont have JPEG selected, and why are the other options there?

Thanks,
    Russ
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    renstar wrote: »
    Barrie,

This leaves one open question, that I too never got a good answer for when I was working with the helpdesk. (apologies in advance for not having LR available as I write this, so I might get the screens a bit wrong).

The LR plugin configuration has a dropdown to select (something along the lines of) "upload as" and you get a choice of jpeg, tiff, or psd. It is known that smugmug does not support PSD and TIFF. What does this option do if you dont have JPEG selected, and why are the other options there?

Thanks,
    Russ

From my past experiences, you actually can upload those file types, including original RAW files, if you have SmugVault. I am on my phone, so can't look at the plug in itself, but if you don't have SmugVault, I believe it will automatically upload the JPEG version if you have TIFF or PSD selected.

Michael

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2013
    Russ,

If a user has selected something other than 'ORIGINAL' or 'JPEG' and they don't have a SmugVault, the LR plugin will automatically switch over to uploading a JPEG during the publish process.

Cheers,

David
    renstar wrote: »
    Barrie,

Thanks,
    Russ
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    EntropicTendenciesEntropicTendencies Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    devbobo wrote: »
    Russ,

If a user has selected something other than 'ORIGINAL' or 'JPEG' and they don't have a SmugVault, the LR plugin will automatically switch over to uploading a JPEG during the publish process.

Cheers,

David

But use *JPEG*, because if you use *original* the uploaded JPEGs don't include any LR adjustments (which isn't what most people want when they publish galleries).

Barrie
    Smugmug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    But use *JPEG*, because if you use *original* the uploaded JPEGs don't include any LR adjustments (which isn't what most people want when they publish galleries).

Barrie
    Smugmug Support Hero

Yes, Barrie is right. Sorry I was on my iPhone, so wasn't very detailed in my response. You *Can* upload Tiff or Raw files if you have SmugVault. I do this after I shoot a wedding, just to have a safe cloud backup of all of the Raw files. But yes, when I want photos with the Lightroom edits to be published, I select JPG as the export file type in the SmugMug Plugin settings.

Michael
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013

Barrie
    Smugmug Support Hero

That's correct, unless you are shooting in JPEG mode and want to archive the original unedited versions.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Yes, Barrie is right. Sorry I was on my iPhone, so wasn't very detailed in my response. You *Can* upload Tiff or Raw files if you have SmugVault. I do this after I shoot a wedding, just to have a safe cloud backup of all of the Raw files. But yes, when I want photos with the Lightroom edits to be published, I select JPG as the export file type in the SmugMug Plugin settings.

Michael

You can also have multiple publish services connected to the same account. One can be configured for publishing JPGs, the other configured to upload RAW, DNG, TIFFs, PSDs,etc to SmugVault.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    You can also have multiple publish services connected to the same account. One can be configured for publishing JPGs, the other configured to upload RAW, DNG, TIFFs, PSDs,etc to SmugVault.

Great info...Thanks Dave!
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Thanks, David. I figured that was the case, but given the very vague answer I got from the help desk I figured I'd check. Some guidance on the setup screen might be useful, eg, default to jpeg, which it didn't for me, and an indicator that some features are smugvault only (which I dont have or use).

-r
    Russ,

Cheers,

David