Options

Is this purple fringing ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 3, 2005 in Finishing School
I can see a rose colour creeping in behind & to the left & right of the surfer on the crest of the dark wave.

Any way in PS to remove it ?

41002773-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Yep. AKA chromatic abberation. Best fixed with Shaytech's Color Fringe Remover. Use it in manual mode. Works a treat.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2005
    I went to buy that a while back from memory but i will not use paypal. It aint the 10 bucks...thats chicken feed for that prog. Shay any other way of dropping $10 in your hand ?

Or is there a way to do it in PS
    Gus
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Although I got best results with Shay's action, you could also try the free PFree.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Gus,

Was this taken in RAW? If so Photoshop RAW converter has an adjustment for this. Also Neat Image has a tool for fixing this.

If you run out of options, send me the original file, and I'll do my best for you.

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I went to buy that a while back from memory but i will not use paypal. It aint the 10 bucks...thats chicken feed for that prog. Shay any other way of dropping $10 in your hand ?

Or is there a way to do it in PS
    Gus

Gus, I'm sure that you could work out a trade with Shay. Send him a bowl of Kava, or whatever lol3.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Gus, you're a great straight man. Just so happens I was reading Ch 8 of the LAB book this last week and I learned a trick that is just what you need and really it's just like magic.

Here's the result I ended up with:

42282772-L.jpg

Original here.

Here's what I did.
    1. Convert to LAB.
    2. Make duplicate layer.
    3. Select a nice golden ocean color and paint a rather crude stripe over the offending purple spots. You can see that my stripe is very very crude.
      42282859-L.jpg
    4. Change the blending mode of the layer to Color.
    5. At this point you'll probalby be very happy and can quit. But I wanted to finish trying out Dan's technique and make sure to limit the blend to only the offending purple color. So I brought up the Blending Options dialog box (right mouse on the layer in the layer pallette.) and used a blend if to limit the blend to only areas containing some magenta:
      42282648-M.jpg
      Notice the split slider. This makes the transition from no blend to blend gradual though the range of the split. Without the blend if I was able to see a small difference where there was no purple. It's subtle, but we don't want it. With the blend-if, I think the result looks perfect.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Looks to be a good solution for what's basically a duotone image. What about something with more complicated colors?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2005
    Thanks rutt...always on the job..i will get into it now.

David that aint no duo-tone...thats 6am looking straight at south america.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    David that aint no duo-tone...thats 6am looking straight at south america.

I know it's not, but as far as understanding Rutt's procedure, it may as well be. My question is what to do when the color palette is more complicated...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    funny this topic should come up
    I was just about to ask this very same question on an image of mine that has a bit more colors (2 really, instead of 1).

36422198-S.jpg

(links to galery with full size original) Note the slight purple fringe seperating the petals from the greenery in the background. I hadn't even noticed it in the original image, but when I got it printed at 8x12 on lustre paper, whamo! it was quite noticable.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Yep. AKA chromatic abberation.
    So, just to confirm what my research is saying... this is not something I'm doing wrong in shooting, it is inherent in the quality of the kitty glass that cannon packed with the 20D, right? (Don't even get me started on the that issue... showing L glass on the box and then packing non-L in the box... that's just evil is what that is. Hey Cannon art department: boid.gif)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Looks to be a good solution for what's basically a duotone image. What about something with more complicated colors?

I just finished the chapter yesterday and I'm still chewing on it. I'll post a summary pretty soon and we can try to figure out it's limits.

The paint brush was a pretty crude way to get the color I wanted and that wouldn't work so well if I wanted something more complicated at the edge. On the other hand, using a color layer and blend-if's is really the heart of the technique and that just depends on being able to define the color you don't want very precisely.

Here is a very very very close crop of Cabby's rose:

42338258-L.jpg

I made a layer and subjected it so some very unsymetrical LAB curves in order to create a transition without a hint of that obnoxious purple:

42338276-L.jpg

The color of this isn't a good match for either the rose or the background, but no matter. I only care about the color of the transition. My LAB curves were quick and dirty. You can be as careful as you like about this when you try it at home.

I used blend-if's for both A and B channels to limit both sides of the blend to just the transition:

42333424-M.jpg
    42333440-M.jpg

I got this result:

42338288-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I just finished the chapter yesterday and I'm still chewing on it. I'll post a summary pretty soon and we can try to figure out it's limits.
    So it looks from the sample you showed to be workable... wonder if I could get the gimp to do it.....
  • Options
    buzzard_nutsbuzzard_nuts Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2005
    1. Change the blending mode of the layer to Color.
    2. At this point you'll probalby be very happy and can quit. But I wanted to finish trying out Dan's technique and make sure to limit the blend to only the offending purple color. So I brought up the Blending Options dialog box (right mouse on the layer in the layer pallette.) and used a blend if to limit the blend to only areas containing some magenta:

42282648-M.jpg

Notice the split slider. This makes the transition from no blend to blend gradual though the range of the split. Without the blend if I was able to see a small difference where there was no purple. It's subtle, but we don't want it. With the blend-if, I think the result looks perfect.
    [/QUOTE]

How do you decide on the range?ne_nau.gif 138-152
    Can you set up the info pallette to give you these numbers or are they done by just looking at the picture.
    Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question
    buzz
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    How do you decide on the range?ne_nau.gif 138-152
    Can you set up the info pallette to give you these numbers or are they done by just looking at the picture.
    Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question
    buzz

THis is a great question. The answer is I did it by eye. First I moved the unsplit slider to determine the range of interest. As I moved to the right it excluded the areas with green. At some point it also started to exclude the areas I wanted to blend. At this point I backed off a small amount, split the slider and moved the left side (where the blend starts) back just until the transitions softened. This process is like using USM; it takes a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it.
    If not now, when?