• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Canon PowerShot G1 X

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Jan-09-2012, 07:38 AM
ziggy53 is online now ziggy53 OP
Still learnin'still lovin
Canon PowerShot G1 X
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...powershot_g1_x

A new, fixed-lens compact, rangefinder style camera, with a new large sensor. The new sensor is smaller than Canon's APS-C format imagers, but it's larger than the 4/3rd / m4/3rd sensors and twice the sensor size of the Nikon "1" series cameras. It is around 6 times larger than Canon's own "G" series advanced compact cameras.
Old Jan-09-2012, 08:51 AM
MarkR is offline MarkR
Accused Shill.
Very interesting. The only part that doesn't impress me is the lens itself which is "not ..." (wide enough, long enough, fast enough), and which is also not interchangable.
Old Jan-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
With that sensor size, it's getting close to the point at which I might just go for it :-)
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Jan-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Internaut is offline Internaut
Major grins
I like it. It looks like a great camera but that eye level VF is doing nothing for me.
Old Jan-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Very interesting. The only part that doesn't impress me is the lens itself which is "not ..." (wide enough, long enough, fast enough), and which is also not interchangable.
Compared to the Fujifilm FinePix X100, for instance, against which I suspect this would compete, this might be preferable for many people. As a simple rangefinder digital camera, and a major upgrade over the average P&S and most digicams in terms of low light performance, it has my interest.

Add an auxiliary wide angle attachment lens, 24mm equivalence would be sufficient for my needs, and this could cover many of my travel photography needs. (There is no mention of a specific WA attachment for this camera, but I would be very willing to try my Canon WD-58, 0.7x wide-angle lens on this camera.)

It appears to have a standard Canon hot-shoe, so existing Canon dSLR flashes will work. Oddly, the camera only supports flash sync to 1/250th, with HSS/FP mode flash to 1/4000th. That would seem to imply a focal-plane shutter. (No electronic shutter like most other small digital cameras.) It also has a second-curtain sync, another indication of a focal-plane shutter.

I'll be most interested in responsiveness. (Sadly, responsiveness does not appear to be that great by any measure.)

I'm still impressed at how well the Sony DSC-R1 cameras have held their value. (The R1 being of a similar design of fixed zoom lens, large sensor and RAW capable.)
Old Jan-09-2012, 03:02 PM
NeilL is offline NeilL
B+R=M,B+G=C,R+G=Y
It's really interesting what's coming out of this left field, and to consider what impact it might have as an alternative to dslrs, now that usability of images produced is so much less compromised in terms of quality in comparison.

Neil

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
Old Jan-09-2012, 03:14 PM
David_S85 is offline David_S85
Spotter of DGrin Forum Oddities & Spam
Hmmm. Looks kinda cool. I'm liking most of it so far.

Some personal niggles:
The S100 has built-in GPS, and this doesn't?
The S100 is a f/2 lens, this is a dimmer f/2.8.
Poor battery life.
Heavy.
Old Jan-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Icebear is offline Icebear
Major grins
I still have my original 3MP G1 that I paid nearly as much for as this new one. Hey, do you think if I sent it in to Canon they'd retrofit it???
Old Jan-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
I still have my original 3MP G1 that I paid nearly as much for as this new one. Hey, do you think if I sent it in to Canon they'd retrofit it???
Maybe in a couple of years the Canon PowerShot G1 X will be available through the "loyalty program"?
Old Jan-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Chuck289 is offline Chuck289
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S85 View Post
Hmmm. Looks kinda cool. I'm liking most of it so far.

Some personal niggles:
The S100 has built-in GPS, and this doesn't?
The S100 is a f/2 lens, this is a dimmer f/2.8.
Poor battery life.
Heavy.
But the G1X has a much larger sensor. I was under the impression that f2.8 with a larger sensor would still be better in low light than an f2 with a smaller sensor. Or is that not the case?
Old Jan-10-2012, 02:00 PM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
I like several things about this camera quite a bit, Ziggy, but I am still waiting to hear about AF speed and accuracy.

I wish they offered a real electronic viewfinder, like Lumix ICL cameras do, though.

The zoom range is quite useful for what most people will use this camera for, I suspect, 4 to 1, with a 28mm FF angle of view.

I look forward to seeing the image file quality, which will probably be pretty good, as I have some nice 16x20 prints from a G 10.

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
Old Jan-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
But the G1X has a much larger sensor. I was under the impression that f2.8 with a larger sensor would still be better in low light than an f2 with a smaller sensor. Or is that not the case?
Correct, or probably so; about a wash in that respect. A 2.0 with the larger sensor size (G1X) would necessitate a larger lens, so I'm pretty sure a compromise was reached in the design.

I also find that it odd that some features might have been left out (like GPS) as if they rushed this out to snag some sales away from competition like Fuji.

The S100 looks like a better deal for portability for us dSLR shooters, and at $300 less.
Old Jan-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Photoskipper is offline Photoskipper
Major grins
Very interesting. It has everything I am looking for. May consider to get one to become part of my body - carry-it-everywhere-I-go.

It may be one-step closer to what I requested - a mirrorless body from Canon. The big sensor, high pixel number and high ISO. Just need to take out the glasses, install the aperture control and autofocus drive, it becomes the mirrorless body for all my Ls.
Old Jan-10-2012, 07:21 PM
A true mirror-less, with EF lens mount (or via an adaptor) is probably just over the horizon. But this G1X looks like it will do for the high-end shooters for this season.
Old Jan-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Mav is offline Mav
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S85 View Post
Correct, or probably so; about a wash in that respect. A 2.0 with the larger sensor size (G1X) would necessitate a larger lens, so I'm pretty sure a compromise was reached in the design.

I also find that it odd that some features might have been left out (like GPS) as if they rushed this out to snag some sales away from competition like Fuji.

The S100 looks like a better deal for portability for us dSLR shooters, and at $300 less.
I'd imagine, particularly as the battery life doesn't look that great, the GPS was left out to save battery life.

Is GPS that important to people? To people who care about the image enough to want a G1X? I'd happily leave it off to gain 20% more battery life, not mention reduced cost.
Old Jan-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Chuck289 is offline Chuck289
Big grins
Is this camera perhaps why Canon felt confident that they didn't need to enter the mirrorless ILC market?
Old Jan-11-2012, 02:03 PM
ThatCanonGuy is offline ThatCanonGuy
Loves Photography
For the price of a T3i, I'd rather have that and my 24mm f/2.8. That's a small combo - a little bigger, but much better responsiveness and quality. I'd be stuck with a prime lens (about 35mm equiv.). No zoom, but I'd prefer the features of a DSLR. Still, I think this camera will be a big seller, especially if there are good response times.

Last edited by ThatCanonGuy; Jan-16-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan-16-2012, 11:47 AM
DPReview has some video samples from a PowerShot G1 X (I believe these are from a pre-production body):

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...age6.asp#video
Old Jan-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Ed911 is offline Ed911
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy53 View Post
As a simple rangefinder digital camera, and a major upgrade over the average P&S and most digicams in terms of low light performance, it has my interest.
This isn't a range finder...is it? I can't find anything that says it works like one. Can you tell me why you think it is?

Ed
Old Jan-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
This isn't a range finder...is it? I can't find anything that says it works like one. Can you tell me why you think it is?
I was more accurate in the first post to call it a "rangefinder style camera".

You are correct in that it is not a manual rangefinder focus, nor does it appear to have a digital rangefinder AF module. The body style and general appearance will appear very familiar to anyone who has used a rangefinder camera, as will the optical viewfinder (with all of its associated advantages and problems.)
1 2
Tell The World!