Options

30" X 40" Soft Box Images

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited January 7, 2012 in People
I wasn't going to post this set. Not because I don't like them, but because I was afraid you folks are getting tired of seeing my "vintage" portraits of "short people".

Because of Icebear's thread on soft-box vs. beauty dish, I thought I'd throw them up. These were all taken with a 30" X 40" soft-box placed about 4.5 ft from the subject and at about 40 degrees to camera left. What I really appreciate about using this particular sized soft box with children is that I don't have to move or change the lights at all during a session, even though I do a variety of poses. To me, the light looks very natural with just the right amount of shadow. Not too harsh and not too flat.

These were taken four days ago in .jpg with an old d-100 with almost no PP except on the close up.

6649097441_29bc320b7e_o.jpg
Little Rascal by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

6649097337_518e28c579_o.jpg

6649097231_0513dcf915_o.jpg

6649097071_3b4791e0af_o.jpg

6649096885_b50508da1b_o.jpg

6649096739_4442fa8644_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Who says 6MP isn't plenty?!? Wow Bryce. These are wonderful, and your point about the big SB working well with kids is valuable. It gives them (and you) wiggle room.

I trust you charged plenty for these.

The BG is killer. Whose is it, if you don't mind me asking.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Superb work. Love them all. Really love the first two. bowdown.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Who says 6MP isn't plenty?!? Wow Bryce. These are wonderful, and your point about the big SB working well with kids is valuable. It gives them (and you) wiggle room.

I trust you charged plenty for these.

The BG is killer. Whose is it, if you don't mind me asking.
    And believe it or not that tiny little 6MP makes prints that are VERY good looking at 16x20. People can argue all they want, but I say glass is more important than megapixels. A good lab helps too!

The background is a large piece of muslin fabric that was dyed and then painted with brown, black, tan, cream and white spray paints. JoAnn fabrics has the muslin and Home Depot provides the paint. If you make one, wash it prior to use or you will find the knees of your trousers to be stained forever. :D

adbsgicom wrote: »
    Superb work. Love them all. Really love the first two. bowdown.gif
    TYVM Adbs!!!
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    And believe it or not that tiny little 6MP makes prints that are VERY good looking at 16x20. People can argue all they want, but I say glass is more important than megapixels. A good lab helps too!

The background is a large piece of muslin fabric that was dyed and then painted with brown, black, tan, cream and white spray paints. JoAnn fabrics has the muslin and Home Depot provides the paint. If you make one, wash it prior to use or you will find the knees of your trousers to be stained forever. :D

TYVM Adbs!!!

Nice shots, I like this kind of work for kids. The backdrop has a nice and warm color, I buy them typically. But you inspired me to make my own....Thanks.

As to the light, perfect ! And a nice balance between elasticity and depth.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Hard to get tired of such fine creative work.

One question: Why did you choose to use the older camera when you have newer (med format) better cameras?

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Hard to get tired of such fine creative work.

One question: Why did you choose to use the older camera when you have newer (med format) better cameras?

Sam

The lab I use has a special protocol, similar to a photoshop action, set up for me and is used on this particular type of work that I do. It gives the finished prints a real vintage look and feel that I have yet been able to duplicate digitally. It took me several months of trial and error to get the WB and temperature on this camera set to the spot that makes the finished prints look exactly the way I want them to look straight out of the camera with no post processing. Just crop and print!

I find it much easier (and safer) to leave this camera set to those exact settings and use it only for this type of session. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the limitations of the d-100 might contribute a little bit to providing some of the "vintage" look that I like in the finished prints.

And thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info on your process...
    What kind of paint do you end up using for the spray paint? Conveniently, in our new house we have a old washer dryer, and a daughter who loves paint... :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Acrylic paint ONLY, unless you want to go whole hog and buy fabric paint. Make sure to wash the fabric first and NOT use any softener prior to painting. After painting and drying for a few days wash again.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Acrylic paint ONLY, unless you want to go whole hog and buy fabric paint. Make sure to wash the fabric first and NOT use any softener prior to painting. After painting and drying for a few days wash again.

Thank you!!!
    Do you hang it dry or let the dryer do the work after the paint has set? From the sample you have there, you did a really great job in creating the pattern... thumb.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    +1 on the awesomeness.

So, does what we see onscreen reflect the print look, or is that a little different? Would be cool if you could scan/photograph one of the finished prints - I'd love to see the final look you go for :D

ETA: This thread inspired me to get a larger softbox. It's just an eBay 24x36 Apollo umbrella SB knockoff, but for $30 I figured it was time to give it a try... I love my Photek, but I also like modifiers with some length to them (eg, my stripboxes) so it was kind of a no-brainer at that price thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    The print product looks much different. If I get a chance to find my scanner I'll try and scan a print and see if it translates well.

In the mean time, this is as close as I've gotten to replicating the look of my prints from the lab via digital processing.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thank you!!!
    Do you hang it dry or let the dryer do the work after the paint has set? From the sample you have there, you did a really great job in creating the pattern... thumb.gif

After the initial dye job I let it air dry. After each color application I let it air dry. After the final wash, I took it to a laundry mat and used one of the large commercial dryers for size reasons as well as maintaining domestic harmony should any colors come off in the process.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks!!!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    That last one of the boxer is so wonderful on so many levels!!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thank you!!!

I know that Rosco Theatrical paint is a lot more expensive to start with..but the super dye paints can be diluted like crazy to make them absorb into the fiber much better...for me spray paints started flaking off after a while and then I switched to house paint and that is so heavy, but no flaking....

Does Greensboro have a live theater (opera, plays etc etc) if so they usually will have a paint rail, this is a frame that backdrops can be attached to to be painted and it is usually lowered into a basement and then raised spo you can paint at a given height and never have to bend over and mess up your back....before painting it is also advisable to spray the backdrop with a dilution of elcheapo spray starch and water mix..this will stretch the backdrop taut for painting easier...also colleges a lot of times have these and will also rent the rail on a daily basis if they are not using them, it might also be possible if the college has a theater tech dept to get the students to paint it as a practicum for a grade....the old masters style os pretty easy to do with a few flat and round paint brushes....

Muslin of various weights and widths can be had for pretty cheap at Theatrical Supply stores or ordered offline .....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website