Options

Do it Free for "Exposure" - NOT!

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited January 5, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Seems like aspiring photographers aren't the only suckers. :rofl
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Did you get roped into a free shoot? edit: saw the link sorry:)
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    Actually, I have done pro-bono shoots for charities. I do them because I support the charities, not for "exposure." Another way of spelling exposure is "exploitation."
    John :
  • Options
    LisaYangLisaYang Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Hahaha :)
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Seems like aspiring photographers aren't the only suckers. rolleyes1.gif

Who was the sucker? The gal that did the cake said she'd do it again if she could.

Non-Story!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Who was the sucker? The gal that did the cake said she'd do it again if she could.

Seems to me that makes her both a sucker and fool.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    She bakes a cake for a HOTEL for a party for a bazillionaire spoiled athlete, FOR FREE, doesn't get paid, her cake is kept in the kitchen, and she'd do it again? I wonder if the hotel let LeBron throw his party there for free. What do you think?

Nah, Tom. She's a sucker.
    John :
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Seems to me that makes her both a sucker and fool.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    She bakes a cake for a HOTEL for a party for a bazillionaire spoiled athlete, FOR FREE, doesn't get paid, her cake is kept in the kitchen, and she'd do it again? I wonder if the hotel let LeBron throw his party there for free. What do you think?

Nah, Tom. She's a sucker.

What do I think? I think she's horribly misguided. I do think she could reap some exposure from this, but only if in attendance "to" her cake, ie: standing with it in Chef's garb. And then maybe she'd pick up 3 customers that gave a rats-azz.

And I think her saying she'd do it again just amazes me. Hell who knows maybe were both wrong. Could be that the Media blowing up this non-story was worth a bunch of ad dollars, and now she's baking in tall cotton. In fact I could even argue this point. She got more exposure from the media than she ever would from a cake.

After having 'opportunities" for exposure a time or two, I wised up.
    Last year, I created an opportunity and played it for all it was worth.
    Imagine this: After spending 3 weeks in 'Maymester' (what the local University calls their first rushed Summer session) as an artist in residence shooting their Acting for film class. They wanted a 'viewing night'. Viewing night I thought. yes, they said, we'll invite the Provost, Pres, etc over to watch what the Students did. Oh, okay. I spent appx. 100 hours editing their footage from their commercials and Monologues with credits and curtains.
    And then I began it with a Street scene from Times Square where I placed their photos and running videos into building fronts, camera moves, and camera angle changes...and well, why not just show you a snap shot of it. SEE BELOW. Is it needless to say that I got some more work from the University? I took advantage of that op to exploit my talents. Not very often we have an audience set-up for that kind of exposure!
    Viewing Night
    The-Big-Show02551-XL.jpg
    tom wise
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Tom,

I would love to see this video!

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Tom,

I would love to see this video!

Sam

Thanks Sam! I downsized and uploaded the first 2 1/2 minutes of it to my YT channel. Here is the opening sequence. The Street scene comes in at 1:15. Opens with a Monologue from Gabrielle Byndloss. I can't remember exactly which year Gabrielle is in, but she has found extra work up in Atlanta for several TV series and Movie projects. Just an all round talent and decent sort.

Enjoy and yes, please offer critique if you wish. My Number two goal this year is to get on top of my audio. Number one is always better imagery!

It took me ten minutes just to realize they don't allow embeds in this forum.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRiRUFOSZA

Also added a thread over in Action! http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=212758
    tom wise