Swan ... scooting / sprinting.

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited March 8, 2013 in Wildlife
I'd noticed similar behaviour on previous visits to one of my local haunts ... but always been in the wrong place :)

So, next time I tried somewhere different and kept fingers crossed.

pp

_X1C1329Fm.jpg

Comments

• pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    spectacular!
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Wow! Now that is one striking photo! You'd never get that shot again! Great work! Best, Pam
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Pete, Pam - thanks for the comments and Pam ... getting all of the planets aligned to have another go - especially with the sort of weather / light we've been having recently'd make it even more 'interesting' atm :)

pp
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Excellent capture with some very good light.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Simply amazing and the lighting in this wow, and love the low angle and the water splash.
  • LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    Fantastic capture!!!
    edited December 4, 2011
    Harry, Dennis and LM ... again, thanks for having a shufties and commenting.
    Re the light - yes, it made a pleasant change to have some (when needed) - even if it didn't last for very long :)

pp
  • LiveLikeLizPhotosLiveLikeLizPhotos Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    laumyjrhgbgvbn
    ...Sorry, my chin hit the keyboard.

Absolutely AMAZING!
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    That is a hard angle to get on those birds taking off.
    Beautifully done.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited December 6, 2011
    LLLP ... glad you liked it - and thanks.
    Sorry about the jaw / chin - incidentally, judging by the character spread / sequence, you have an interestingly shaped face :)

Chris - Familiarity with a local (15mins bike ride) venue has let me find suitable places for getting close to water level, provided I've got suitable kit / support.
    This pic was taken using a 'turntable' (about 1ft dia) made from an old cast ali washing machine flywheel + lazy susan bearing and assorted fixings etc, with beanbag on top for cam support.
    I 'wriggle' the flywheel base into the ground at the water's edge until level and set the gear up so there's typically 1 - 2 in of daylight between the hood underside and water surface (lower if very calm, opposite if v.choppy :) )

I don't have any pics of this particular setup, but if interested, my post 11 (on linked Dg page) gives some idea, albeit with a rather different rig.

Messing about with this stuff gives my (aging) grey matter something to mull over and I like the results from this pov for water based subjects.

Btw, the swan wasn't taking off ... it was just 'running' along the surface, trying to get from one part of the lake to another as fast as poss, in order to sort out a territorial dispute asap. (if you google scooting swan there's a few more pics of this - but ignore the text :) )

Thanks for your comments and interest - much appreciated ...

pp

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=193043&highlight=nature+close
    edited March 7, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    ... You'd never get that shot again!...

Do I get any points for trying, Pam? :)

pp

_X1C0735_zps0a5b385c.jpg
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    I think I saw one of these included in either Dgrin's or some other list for best of the year. Amazing shot!
    edited March 8, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I think I saw one of these included in either Dgrin's or some other list ...

Would've been the orig shot (if any - later one only taken a few days ago) ... but I don't recollect any such thing happening ...

Thx for commenting, tho.

pp