Blurb: Good Enough for a Wedding Client???

LeeHawkinsLeeHawkins Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited January 7, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I am still a bit new to full-service photography, as in doing albums and photo books... I am finishing my first photo book using Blurb's BookSmart software, and I LOVE how everything looks on my super-sharp backlit monitor (photos always look so much brighter on screen), but I have read MANY places, including this forum, that Blurb's quality may not be up to certain professional standards--however, most of these posts are quite old (like 2007-2009) and I'm interested in other professional smuggers' opinions about the highest-quality Blurb books. I have read in multiple places, that even on Blurb's professional-grade paper, photos look washed out...and I want mine to POP like they do on screen. If they don't, I'm going to tell my client they can see the book and offer feedback, but on the back side, I'm going to go somewhere else and redo everything (as BookSmart does not export to PDF) so that things will look AWESOME. Note please that I didn't charge a lot of money for this photobook...only about $300...but I am interested more in making a statement with the book with awesome looking pictures, because I'm sure it will lead me to some solid referrals...but at the same time, if Blurb can help me get by with a decent-quality book where the pics still pop, then I will same the time I'll need to invest to redo in PDF to send to AsukaBook or something comparable...

BTW, it's a 12"x12" book I've designed, and I'm currently waiting for Blurb's swatch book to arrive before placing any purchases. Although if I get some good strong votes from other pro smuggers here, then I'll push things through sooner, as my clients have already waited for quite some time for me to get this to them :-/

I'm interested in any thoughts you folks might have...

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Depends on how much you are charging. We used Blurb books up until we passed the $2000 per wedding mark. Then we added a leather nice book option. Most people still chose the Blurb book.
    Not an upper scale item but for most people they are nice enough...and for us anyway there was more profit in the Blurb book that in the really expensive upper scale books.
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I ordered from 4 companies last year, Blurb was the absolute worst!! Washed out is a mild term for what they looked like. I used their best paper too. I don't know what they are like this year but give it a go but be prepared to throw it in the fireplace[ that's where mine went] instead of showing prospective clients. If you can find a local printer and binder it is almost the same price and they will work with you and turn out a great product. Surprisingly Kodak puts out a decent book, it was the cheapest but best quality. Good luck!
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    For the price, blurb is a great alternative. I have ordered several books from them and have been happy with the quality.
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I have created and ordered 4 blurb books for my wedding and family clients. They have all been extremely well received.

Tip: As you create your first book, think about creating a template of what you like so you can increase your workflow for each client that orders a book in the future. (It's late, did that even make sense?) (c:

Night
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • LeeHawkinsLeeHawkins Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2011
    Which paper did you folks use? I just got their swatch kit, and have to say I'd have to go with the premium or Proline coated papers to get in the neighborhood of what I want...
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    I just received a book from blurb, hardbound with proline paper. I am very disappointed in the overall quality. On most images, the color is washed out, except for yellows, which are too bright. Though hardbound, the book does not feel very substantial. The Proline paper does not feel of extra-good quality and was not worth the additional cost. The paper cover is the nicest part of the book, with a glossy finish and accurate color. I have purchased from Blurb in the past (softbound) and was very pleased but I don't plan to order from them again. It's disappointing because I do like the BookSmart software and the turnaround time was quick.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Lauren ---- that is dissapointing. Sorry to hear your blurb book didn't turn out well for you.

Does anyone know what other options there are for us smugmuggers that are similar in cost to blurb?
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Thanks, Ryan. I used Shutterfly quite a bit in the past and received some very nice books. But it has been a couple of years since I ordered from them so I can't speak to their current quality. By far the best quality books I have done have been through Apple--pricier but I have decided it is worth the cost to get what I really want. I'll be interested to read what other folks suggest for you.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Oakley wrote: »
    Lauren ---- that is dissapointing. Sorry to hear your blurb book didn't turn out well for you.

Does anyone know what other options there are for us smugmuggers that are similar in cost to blurb?

Its that "similar in cost to Blurb" that's gonna get you. For the cost they might be the best. And if their quality is not good enough (for weddings, sorry, I think they're not good enough for weddings) then you need to step up in price and vendor quality.

For a modest bump in cost for a big bump in quality for press books try either Black River Imaging or Pounds Photo Labs. For the best press book available for a bit more money still nothing beats Asuka Book. If you want to get away from press books and get into flush mounts you have several options worth looking at. Black River Imaging again, but also Bay Photo and Graphi Studios. Personally I'm in love with Graphi Studios's design and submission software and LOVE their product. It is pricey though.

For me, Blurb is great for vacations and keepsake photo albums, but for the serious stuff I go elsewhere.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • TheBrokenMarineTheBrokenMarine Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    You can try MyCanvas or MyPublisher. I've gotten books from both of them and they're quite nice for the price range. It's part of the offering for my low budget customers. I've never had complaints!
    Canon EOS40D: Canon 28-135, Quantaray 70-300, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 100-400 4.5, Canon 24-105L

Pentax K10D/Pentax istDL: Tamron 70-210, Pentax 100-300, Pentax 18-55, Pentax 28-200, Pentax 28-80

www.sharpshooter-photography.com
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Hi (I didnt read all replies)

We use WHCC.com for our albums and cases. Color balancing and calibrating is a must, on our mac's we do a 50% brightness after calibrating and they look identical do all of our prints (ipad and imac or thunderbolt display)

On our pc's we color balance with ambient light in the room and we are pretty accurate, not as close as the mac's.

Try whcc, or asukabook (I haven't but my assistants use them and like them). But backlit photos are always more vibrant and beautiful (look at the jewlery stores and Lik Galleries)