Options

Metz 50mz-5 & nikon d-40

NormFordNormFord Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
edited November 9, 2011 in Accessories
Hi,

Is there a way of getting the two of them working together?.
I'm use to working on my old 'Blad but I've upgraded to digital.
I know I need to buy one of those SCA adapters, but which one & how to i get the flash to switch off when its got enough (or sensed enough) light?

With my 'Blad I just set the flash to F8 and the lens the same and I got good exposed images.

If I can't get a solution I'll just use my Metz as a background flash triggered by the Camera's flash

Cheers

Norm Ford

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited November 9, 2011
    It would appear that the SCA 3402 module is the Metz recommendation. It will probably yield basic flash sync and auto-zoom, but I doubt that true iTTL is possible. (You'll be using auto-thyrister mode, the same as you had with the Hasselblad.)

http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/metz18.htm

While "auto" mode flashes were very suitable for film cameras (with the extended dynamic range intrinsic to film), the exposure accuracy may not be suitable for a modern digital camera. An iTTL capable flash is highly recommended. At very least really watch your camera's histogram and adjust the flash accordingly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NormFordNormFord Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy
    Hi Ziggy,

I think it will be a different SCA Adapter, But i follow your drift. Its just that its too good a flash to leave lying in a cupboard unused. It got so much punch too, as I have some big group shots coming up and I don't want to have to buy a Nikon dedicated Flash for it.

Cheers

Norm Ford