Options

Apologies to Pathfinder

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited October 22, 2005 in Sports
I am trying to do as well as some of the cool photos that Pathfinder has done. Set this up in the garage with a tripod and tried to emulate one of his! I hope you see it a sincerest flattery - I dont think my attempt holds up to Pathfinders! Why?

41046232-M.jpg
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    It would be better if it was a GS:D
    Zanotti wrote:
    I am trying to do as well as some of the cool photos that Pathfinder has done. Set this up in the garage with a tripod and tried to emulate one of his! I hope you see it a sincerest flattery - I dont think my attempt holds up to Pathfinders! Why?

41046232-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2005
    Limited PS skills showing. Better?

(I know, still not a GS! Same motor and gearbox though! I think the R1150R is a GS for shorter riders!)

41057084-M.jpg
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2005
    Last one I'll bore you with.

Photograph DetailsDate Taken:2005-10-22 13:43:55Date Digitized:2005-10-22 13:43:55Date Modified:2005-10-22 16:12:40Make:CanonModel: Canon PowerShot S1 IS Size: 1600x1200 Bytes: 262009 Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 5.8mm (guess: 28mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.1s (1/10)JPEG Quality:3Flash:Flash did not fire, compulsory flash modeExposure Bias:0White Balance:manualDigitalZoomRatio:2048/2048SensingMethod:One-chip color sensorColorSpace:sRGB
    41059192-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 22, 2005
    Thanks for the PM about this thread. I thought my B&W motor shots were not terribly well received here on dgrin and I never got around to posting them on advrider where I thought they'd get a better reception among other gearheads like myself. So thanks for the kind words.

Your shots are technically sharp, but lack a dramatic black and white that B&W shots need to really work. You did not say how you processed these to B&W, but I think that is part of it. A good range of color is the first requisite before conversion also.

My shots were handheld (no tripod) along the asphalt at the fairground at the BMW rally at Lima Ohio. I did use fill flash and shot in AV mode. The exif data is available at http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/682370/1/29581359

My favorite image from that trip was this B&W conversion of an R100/s engine compartment. 1/640th f3.5 ISO 800 ( I forgot to lower the ISOeek7.gif)

29612968-L.jpg

I used Greg Gorham's B&W conversion technique for this - I have described it several times here on dgrin - I'm sure a search will find it. It is also available as a PDF on Greg Gorham's website. It is well worth a look - just google Greg Gorham and B&W and it should pop up. I converted to B&W because the original colors were as below, and because engines deserve the serious tones of B&W - engines are serious, not pinks and yellows...

29613004-L.jpg

Another image I liked from that trip was the Norton engine - again it deserved the respect of good B&W

29581359-L.jpg

Again, I used G Gorham's B&W conversion. I think I did a little Overlay blending with black to darken the grass a little ala the Cletus technique from our very own Cletus here on dgrin.

Glad to hear from another gearheadthumb.gif Like my license plate holder says - "One Less Car"

Addendum:
    Looking at your images again Zanotti, I prefer the closer composition of your first shot over the second. Simpler is better than more, usually - I tried to stay tight on my shots, that is why the crop of the exhaust pipe on the Norton.

I think you have a good beginning. Try G Gorhams conversion, or play with Channel mixer for awhile and see if you can't improve your shot. Try multiply blending your image with a black or a grey layer and see if that helps also.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thanks for the PM about this thread. I thought my B&W motor shots were not terribly well received here on dgrin and I never got around to posting them on advrider where I thought they'd get a better reception among other gearheads like myself.

I thought they were all technically brilliant, really crisp and sharp. I am thinking about the Tamron 28-75 f 2.8 after seeing these shots. Of course, I like the subject matter as well.

I just put my Canon S1 on B&W settings in the camera and shot away. I needed the tripod, since I really didn't have much light. I tried for good depth of field with a higher f stop (f5.6 and f8.0) so there were some that had 1/5 sec shutter times. I do have a few in color as well, I'll look to your suggestions on alternative conversions.

I took a few copies of your Norton shots on my Bonneville, but found I got nothing but my own reflection in the chrome engine side cases!

Thanks again for letting me learn off your ideas!

Z
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Nopw we are talking real engines Norton thumb.gif