Options

Color Management between different browsers

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited October 6, 2011 in Finishing School
I use primarily firefox and it was a little buggy today so I decided to use Google Chrome. I looked at my blog as was MORTIFIED at the look of some of my photos when viewed through Google Chrome.

What am I supposed to do about that?? I am working on a calibrated monitor.

HELP!!

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I don’t know that Chrome is color managed. Haven’t checked it out. But the original advise is use either Safari or FireFox as they are color managed. You can point Chrome to this page:http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    It's really surprising that Chrome isn't color managed - I had the same experience.

The problem isn't what browser you use, it's what browser whoever you share your
    SmugMug photos with uses. Try changing that.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 6, 2011
    If one sticks to sRGB colorspace in their pictures, won't they still render correctly in a non-color-managed browser? I'm not seeing any problems with my photos in Chrome.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    If one sticks to sRGB colorspace in their pictures, won't they still render correctly in a non-color-managed browser? I'm not seeing any problems with my photos in Chrome.

Nope. Doesn’t matter if its sRGB or not, non color managed applications have no idea what sRGB is, nor what the effect upon the previews using a display profile do, assuming the user even calibrates and profiles their display. Of the common RGB working spaces, sRGB is the closest to this guess, but it in no way ensures a match, even a close match. And if the end user is on a wide gamut display, which are becoming more comon, sRGB is the wrong guess (Adobe RGB would be a better guess).

The closer a display behaves to sRGB like behavior, the closer it will appear in non color managed applications. The farther away a display behaves from the sRGB spec, the farther it will appear. And sRGB is based upon a circa 1993 CRT display with very specific primaries.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 6, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    Nope. Doesn’t matter if its sRGB or not, non color managed applications have no idea what sRGB is, nor what the effect upon the previews using a display profile do, assuming the user even calibrates and profiles their display. Of the common RGB working spaces, sRGB is the closest to this guess, but it in no way ensures a match, even a close match. And if the end user is on a wide gamut display, which are becoming more comon, sRGB is the wrong guess (Adobe RGB would be a better guess).

The closer a display behaves to sRGB like behavior, the closer it will appear in non color managed applications. The farther away a display behaves from the sRGB spec, the farther it will appear. And sRGB is based upon a circa 1993 CRT display with very specific primaries.
    Thanks, Andrew!