Reason for blurry / grainy photos

goldentwiggoldentwig Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 29, 2011 in Cameras
This almost seems like such a novice question that I'm embarrassed to ask it.

I have a Nikon D70s DSLR body with a Nikkor AF 28-80mm lens that came with my old Nikon N65 film camera. This is the only lens I have, as six years ago, it was all I could do to convince my husband that I needed a DSLR. So we bought just the body and used the lens I already owned.

However, it seems like I am forever getting blurry photos when there is low lighting. Now I understand that I need to open up my aperture all the way, but sometimes it won't go any further than 5.6. So then I'm forced to raise my ISO (it goes as high as 1600), but that increases the graininess of course. However, I feel like grainy pictures that are not blurry are better than blurred images which are not useful at all. Obviously using a flash reduces this problem entirely, but it also usually makes the picture pretty ugly. I have a Lightscoop bounce attachment, but it only works in rooms with low ceilings which is not usually where I am.

My question: Is this dilemma a result of my 1.) camera ; 2.) lens ; 3.) lack of operational knowledge?
Nikon D70s only has 6.1 MP which seems so measly these days, esp. compared to a simple iPhone 4!

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    Pick up a 50 1.8. Can probably find a used one for $50.
    D70 should take great photos.....mine did. Try to keep it to iso 400 or less if grain is an issue.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    Zoomer is giving good advice. Additionally, pick up an external flash and then build a couple of DIY flash modifiers.

Proper use of an external flash and modifiers will make a tremendous difference in the results.

These were taken with a Canon XT/350D, probably older than your Nikon D70s. They did use a fairly decent zoom lens and an appropriate flash and modifier:

962263171_H4w8q-O.jpg

912822732_rdkDH-O.jpg

577453135_oFxDv-XL.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    can you post some shots with exif info? From your description it basically sounds like a limitation of your sensor. At ISO 1600 your D70 is going to give a LOT of grain. Its just won't do well in low light and the max fstop your lens is not helping either. Your cheapest solution as zooomer mentioned is to get 50mm 1.8 to let in more light. Then of course a new body with a modern sensor that is not so noisy at higher ISO.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    I'd be surprised if the D70 is not able to produce images to your satisfaction, except if you are asking it to do what it can't. Have you always been unhappy with what it produces, or have you recently been using it in different and more difficult situations than before? Very few cameras are able to cope with very low light to the extent of producing perfect results sooc. I'd try some other, high quality and newer, lenses on it - beg, borrow. I'm a bit suspicious that you are not getting correct focus with the AF. Try MF. Also of course use a tripod, remote release, mlu, cover the vf. In post, use Lr3.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    It's #2, the lens. Yes, get a 50 1.8. The D70s is old, but it can do the job. The 28-80 can't do much. Also, 6.1mp is fine. I'd take a D70s over an iphone 4 any day :D

You can bounce/diffuse flash as well, this makes a huge difference. An external flash will help.