Options

Cecil Stoner

InvectiveInvective Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited October 25, 2005 in People
Hi fellow Dgrinners

Althought I don't post as often as should, I would like to let you all know that you do some amazing work. I visit every day, and will continue to come. I have found myself in a situation. My grandfather of 79 years passed away on monday afternoon.:cry He was an excellend husband, father, and grandfather, and will be dearly, dearly missed.

I have been asked to find pictures of him, unfortunaley the only ones are of poor condition, or two small. My photoshop skills are amateur, so I ws wondering if some of you dgrinners would lend a hand. I've seen some great work from alot of you, and thought of no better place to post this. If anyone is willing to help at all, I would appreciate it. I would like all the pople that are coming to the funeral on Saturday to see some very clean and clear pictures of him. So, I have attached some pictures. If anything can be one with them, please, try it out. If anyone woule like the originals, feel free to ask.

I thank you all in advance, and hope to hear from you.

Lindsay

scan0009.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan00011.jpg

scan00012.jpg

scan00013.jpg

scan00015.jpg

scan00023.jpg

scan00031.jpg

scan00032.jpg

scan00033.jpg

scan00035.jpg

scan00051.jpg

scan00060.jpg

scan00061.jpg

scan00062.jpg

scan00070.jpg

scan00072.jpg

scan00073.jpg

scan00074.jpg

scan00082.jpg

scan00084.jpg

scan00085.jpg
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    I can help with these, and better than that I can help teach you how to do it yourself. But it's frustrating to work on low res images, and this isn't exactly the place to do it. Post on the PP forum, with links to the best resolution versions you have. Please let me know which are most important to you and I will work on those first. PM me, so that I don't miss it. After I do a few and you see how I do it, I think you will pick it right up and be able to do it yourself.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I can help with these, and better than that I can help teach you how to do it yourself. But it's frustrating to work on low res images, and this isn't exactly the place to do it. Post on the PP forum, with links to the best resolution versions you have. Please let me know which are most important to you and I will work on those first. PM me, so that I don't miss it. After I do a few and you see how I do it, I think you will pick it right up and be able to do it yourself.

Actually, taking another look at this, it's a lot of work, not much time, and you are probably pretty busy and distracted. Do what I said, post on the PP forum and make the best res versions you have available. I bet we can recruit a few PS rats and divide up the work and do a lot of these quickly for you.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Lindsay,

I took the worst shots (in my opinion, color, damage, underexposed, etc) and did some work on them. I hope it helps a little. I put them in a gallery on my smugmug site and here's the link:

http://cs-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/894128

I've left the gallery set up with originals available so you can right-click on the enlarged shot and download the highest resolution version.

Sorry to hear of your loss. From the pics he seems like a warm and caring man.
    40544537-L.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Here is one

I am sure I could do better with a larger file.

Sorry for your loss.

40553099-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Brian, that looks really good. I think we've shown that there are at least a few of us who want to help here. It won't take us long to do our best. But we'll do a much better job if
    1. We work on the highest resolution files available, and
    2. We coordinate a little
    So, Lindsay, please can you post a link to the best originals you currently have of these? By that I mean the highest resolution originals. It's even better if we get versions which nobody has tried to fix yet. Once you post those, we can go to work on them.

Everyone else, before you start to work on a shot, please post so that we don't duplicate each other's work.

I think it would take less than a day for us to work together to retouch all these shots. How's that sound, Lindsay?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Brian, that looks really good. I think we've shown that there are at least a few of us who want to help here. It won't take us long to do our best. But we'll do a much better job if
    1. We work on the highest resolution files available, and
    2. We coordinate a little
    So, Lindsay, please can you post a link to the best originals you currently have of these? By that I mean the highest resolution originals. It's even better if we get versions which nobody has tried to fix yet. Once you post those, we can go to work on them.

Everyone else, before you start to work on a shot, please post so that we don't duplicate each other's work.

I think it would take less than a day for us to work together to retouch all these shots. How's that sound, Lindsay?
    Too late :D I'll do more if we get better files.

Bear

40554056-M.jpg

Edit: It would also be nice if we could send them directly to Lindsey so we don't have to worry about compression.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Rutt is right, we will get it done faster, if we talk it out and have the biggest file possible.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Wow. You people are amazing. Th eonly thing is, I'm not too big of a PC nut. So, I host my pictures through photobucket, which shrinks them. How do I link them so that originals can be gotten?

Thanks
    Lindsay
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    One possibility is to sign up for a smugmug account. That's not very expensive, and actually you only need for it to work for the 1 week trial period. If you upload all your originals there, we'll be able to get them. You get a few $$ off the price if you use a one of us as a referal.

You could also email all of them to one of me and I'll post them. I think the first option should be a lot easier. Don't be afraid to PM me if you are having problems.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    You could also email all of them to one of me and I'll post them. .

Rutt, exactly how many of you are there? :)

I just wanted to pop in and say how proud I am of the dgrin community for stepping up and helping out at this time of need. It's a small thing to do, but it takes time and care to help someone out like this.

I'm going in for x-rays on my back, or I'd be joining in, too. Rutt, Greaper, everyone else...thanks for leading the way.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Yes, time is short right now, but thank you thank you thank you. The look on my mothers face with behr655's edit was priceless. You guys are amazing, my grandmother will be very happy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :):
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    I'm glad I was able to make your mother happy.

Bear
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Lindsay is going to email them to me and I'll upload to a smugmug gallary and let everyone know when this is done. Then we can go to work.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Rutt, let me know if you need another volunteer!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Here's the situation. Lindsay emailed me all his scans and I uploaded them here: http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/894433

Unfortunately, not a lot more resolution here than in the original post. I've PM'ed Lindsay asking him to make sure this is the best he can do. If so, fine, we'll do the best with what we've got. Lindsay, please just post a yes or no answer here.

Once we do hear from Lindsay, than here's the protocol. Before you start to work on an image, post it. You can use the filename or an image link. That way we won't duplicate effort. Once you finish, upload to our own smugmug account (or whatever) and post a link to the orignal so Lindsay can see them.

I received 13 so it shouldn't take too long once we get going. It seems there are 3 or 4 of us willing to do this, maybe more. So it's just a few images each.

I have to go make dinner for my family now, but I'll check back in a few hours. Probably we'll have hard from Lindsay by then. If we can't get better originals, the effort will be underway. Else, I'll let you know when I post something else.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Sorry, I guess I didn't get them all. I have 13 out of about 30.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll hear from Lindsay by tomorrow.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    I'll give it a shot...
    Rutt,

I'm going to try my hand at #s 1, 31, and 70.

Where should we send the results (forgive me if this is a redundant question...I didn't fully read every word posted) ~Nee
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Rutt,

I'm going to try my hand at #s 1, 31, and 70.

Where should we send the results (forgive me if this is a redundant question...I didn't fully read every word posted) ~Nee

Just upload to your smugmug account and post inlined images and/or links here. Make sure originals are enabled for the gallery you use. I'll mark the ones you are working on so nobody else takes them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Just upload to your smugmug account and post inlined images and/or links here. Make sure originals are enabled for the gallery you use. I'll mark the ones you are working on so nobody else takes them.

Oh, and make sure to start off with the originals from my gallery. They aren't as high res as I would like, but they are better than the original posts.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    I'll add "taken by XXX" to the title of shots someone is working on and move them to the end of the gallery to make it easier to find untaken ones.

But the real truth is in this thread for now. Check the thread to make sure noone is working on a particular image and post before you start to.

Be aware we might get better larger scans later, so try to remember what you did so you can redo fast later.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Wow. You guys have me in tears. Out of all the bad, rises some good.You truley are amazing people. Words cannot express my happiness. My grandfather would be extatic. Thank you :)

As for the photos, those are as good as it gets. These are mostly from tiny polaroids from the 70's, and my grandfather's scanner isn't the best. The main picture will be the army headshot, with the beret (spelling?). It will be placed beside the urn in the chaple. The rest will be in a collage when entering the door, along with his medals and plaques from the army. The pictures I sent were the ones I decided I am using, not all 30 are needed.

For all those helping out, if there is ever anything I can ever do for you, please let me know. My mother also sends her thanks, this is very appreciated.

Again, thank you thank you thank you. You have risen my heart in this time of sorrow.
  • Options
    LaurieLaurie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'd love to help too! Can't promise pro results, but I know I can make some improvements.

Rutt, can you please post a link to the gallery that has the best versions of the 13 that need work?
  • Options
    smittymike19smittymike19 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    here you go
    heres my attempt at the military shot. i think his skintones are pretty on. and i hand painted his eyes, medals, red stripes, uniform, beret, etc. the only thing that stinks is the curtain. couldnt seem to fix the right corner.

http://smittymike19.smugmug.com/photos/40621742-L.jpg

god bless.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I've cross posted to the Digital Darkroom forum here in hopes of getting the attention of the darkroom rats. That's also where I'll keep the up to date list of shots in process and completed and it's the best place for you to post when you start or complete a shot.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'd like to take another shot at the military photo. It aldso needs to be enlarged for printing.

Bear
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    Rutt, you don't have originals enabled?

Bear

Sorry, fixed now. Sadly, the resolution of the originals isn't that much better than what Lindsay posted initially.

BTW, before you do anything else please take a look at this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=182846#post182846

This is now the official place where I'm trying to organize this effort.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I resent the army photo, I think it has a bigger res than before.
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Rutt, please put me down for scan0003
    40654218-L.jpg