• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Support 5000 photo limit per gallery?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Sep-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Ken112 is offline Ken112 OP
Big grins
5000 photo limit per gallery?
Just logged into my account and found one of my old galleries split into two galleries.
The original gallery still exists but a new gallery with the same name plus "-1" added to the end of the name has appeared. the original gallery has 5000 photos the new gallery has 3000.
Is this a new "feature"?
Old Sep-17-2011, 10:23 PM
LPC is offline LPC
Major Grins
This wouldn't be good.
Old Sep-17-2011, 11:38 PM
codyjbennett is offline codyjbennett
not-so-novice beginner
It's true that there is a 5000 photo limit, per gallery. I had run into the same thing a few weeks back while uploading and I had just tried repeatedly to get them slammed in the first gallery. No such luck.

Smugmug tipped me off (which was nice, cause I hadn't contacted them yet) and then sent me this comment:

"Sorry to bother you. We were reviewing the past days uploading failures and see that you had quite a few failures. 4143 to be exact. There were a couple of other error messages. These 4143 failures were all for "Album Full". Which means the album you were uploading to, already had approximately 5000 photos in it. 5000 photos is the limit per gallery. Otherwise, the gallery becomes very unwieldy. And is difficult to view and load pages. Please go ahead and upload these photos to another gallery."

I had sent them a remark of appreciation and surprise, and they followed up with this tip:

"Sorry we don't publicize this fact more. In the future, you can always check your upload log. This will let you know if there are/were any issues." (The upload log can be found in your Control Panel > Stats > Upload > Upload log.)

Kind of a bummer, but navigating 5000 photos in a gallery would certainly be evil for any client of mine; it's only a minor inconvenience to know I have to create another gallery. Really the only reason I'd even hope to use 5000+ images in one gallery is for a backup of some type...

Good luck!

About MePhotographyBlogJuneau, AK SMUGFacebookTwitter
Old Sep-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Ken112 is offline Ken112 OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjbennett View Post
It's true that there is a 5000 photo limit, per gallery. I had run into the same thing a few weeks back while uploading and I had just tried repeatedly to get them slammed in the first gallery. No such luck.

Smugmug tipped me off (which was nice, cause I hadn't contacted them yet) and then sent me this comment:

"Sorry to bother you. We were reviewing the past days uploading failures and see that you had quite a few failures. 4143 to be exact. There were a couple of other error messages. These 4143 failures were all for "Album Full". Which means the album you were uploading to, already had approximately 5000 photos in it. 5000 photos is the limit per gallery. Otherwise, the gallery becomes very unwieldy. And is difficult to view and load pages. Please go ahead and upload these photos to another gallery."

I had sent them a remark of appreciation and surprise, and they followed up with this tip:

"Sorry we don't publicize this fact more. In the future, you can always check your upload log. This will let you know if there are/were any issues." (The upload log can be found in your Control Panel > Stats > Upload > Upload log.)

Kind of a bummer, but navigating 5000 photos in a gallery would certainly be evil for any client of mine; it's only a minor inconvenience to know I have to create another gallery. Really the only reason I'd even hope to use 5000+ images in one gallery is for a backup of some type...

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, It was a private backup gallery that was created in 2008. Funny that they decided to split it on me after 3 years.

Ken
Old Sep-21-2011, 05:43 PM
SamirD is offline SamirD
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken112 View Post
Thanks for the reply, It was a private backup gallery that was created in 2008. Funny that they decided to split it on me after 3 years.

Ken
Interesting. I don't think I've come close to this limit as I keep a gallery for each day in my backups, but they should've definitely said something.