the dgrin suggestion box

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 7, 2013 in Dgrin Forum Support
yep. here's where it goes. let's hear from you :ear

Comments

• SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Hmmmm! headscratch.gif

How about an "A to Z of photography" sticky thread. Maybe some of you talented souls could come up with an A to Z covering the various areas/ of photography and brief descriptions against each. i.e:

C : Chromatic Aberration,
    and thus a brief description (I would give one if I knew what it was!) and an example shot maybe.

It would be an ideal tutorial thread for newcomers to photography.

Is that a daft idea???? Could be, but who cares? At least I was first!! :D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    ial thread for newcomers to photography.

Is that a daft idea???? Could be, but who cares? At least I was first!! :D
    it's not daft at all - but it's been done over and over, elsewhere, so i don't think recreating that sort of thing is worthwhile - but keep thinking of ideas for stuff that's unique, or a unique way of doing things deal.gif

btw: take a look at photo.net regarding that a to z thingie....
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 17, 2005
    SnapHappy -

Take a look here and see if you can't find what you're looking for.thumb.gifhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography

We volunteers here on dgrin will find it difficult to improve on wikipedia as a resource, I venture.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 17, 2005
    2 great links that have been bookmarked, ta.v.much.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Don't take this the wrong way...
    I like birds, and bird shots, really! I've even posted one. But I find myself getting lost in the feathers in "Nature & Wildlife."

Since my Dgrin time has been severely curtailed (due to my new boy), I find myself hitting "Mark this forum read" more often than not.

So my suggestion is this, split off the birdies into their own forum. There's definitely enough posts to support it!

:hide
    Chris
    edited October 18, 2005
    Andy,

I like your honest REPLY in the slightly controversial voting challenge 49 thread. Where you have given a brief explanation of what you thought about the non finalist's entries.

Now I know you are busy but I think it would be a good idea to do a thread on every challenge like this. ( a locked sticky perhaps?) It's good to know what the chief Judge thought about the image and would certainly help. You could also invite the other judge to comment as well.

It would certainly answer a lot of Questions that go through grinners minds when viewing the end of the challenge and it's results. (sometimes I do think "why didn't that one get in?") But not least also help develop user's skills.:D
    edited October 18, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Andy,

I like your honest REPLY in the slightly controversial voting challenge 49 thread. Where you have given a brief explanation of what you thought about the non finalist's entries.

Now I know you are busy but I think it would be a good idea to do a thread on every challenge like this. ( a locked sticky perhaps?) It's good to know what the chief Judge thought about the image and would certainly help. You could also invite the other judge to comment as well.

It would certainly answer a lot of Questions that go through grinners minds when viewing the end of the challenge and it's results. (sometimes I do think "why didn't that one get in?") But not least also help develop user's skills.:D

i used to do that, but it takes me a lot of time to do that. i found that i just couldn't keep up with my life :D to put it all down in writing, takes me a lot of time, which i just don't have enough of these days. thanks for the suggestion thumb.gif
    edited October 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i used to do that, but it takes me a lot of time to do that. i found that i just couldn't keep up with my life :D to put it all down in writing, takes me a lot of time, which i just don't have enough of these days. thanks for the suggestion thumb.gif

No probs, I can see now that it would take a long time and especially if we start to get more & more entrants.
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    I like birds, and bird shots, really! I've even posted one. But I find myself getting lost in the feathers in "Nature & Wildlife."

Since my Dgrin time has been severely curtailed (due to my new boy), I find myself hitting "Mark this forum read" more often than not.

So my suggestion is this, split off the birdies into their own forum. There's definitely enough posts to support it!

:hide
    Jeeze, what would be left in the "Nature & Wildlife" section? :D

Bear
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Motorcycle forum
    There has been the suggestion that the birds get their own forum. How about giving the motorcycles their own forum as well?
    If not now, when?
    edited October 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    There has been the suggestion that the birds get their own forum. How about giving the motorcycles their own forum as well?

a) we have a suggestion box thread (i'm moving your post there...)

and

b) you're kidding, right lol3.gif

it's our sister forum
    edited October 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    a) we have a suggestion box thread

and

b) you're kidding, right lol3.gif

it's our sister forum

You're getting better at detecting my (sometimes lame) jokes. This particular one grew out of digging through the Sporting Goods forum looking for opportunities to critique.
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    lol8.giflol8.giflol8.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    lol8.giflol8.giflol8.gif
    how about a forum for just doggies .. no people, no cats, no squirrels.. just doggies..rolleyes1.gif
    (in a photo gallery I did on a website I created and managed I did all doggies, boy was my boss mad at me.. the people were all sooo boring and the doggies were all so happy to have their photos taken.. ) he made me take them down..:uhoh spoil sport...ne_nau.gif
    edited October 23, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    how about a forum for just doggies .. no people, no cats, no squirrels.. just doggies..rolleyes1.gif
    (in a photo gallery I did on a website I created and managed I did all doggies, boy was my boss mad at me.. the people were all sooo boring and the doggies were all so happy to have their photos taken.. ) he made me take them down..:uhoh spoil sport...ne_nau.gif

i will make a doggies forum right after i make the dedicated ribs forum lol3.gif
    edited November 23, 2005
    Breadcrumbs at the bottom?
    I browse dgrin using the breadcrumb links at the top of the page (Like Digital Grin > Support > dgrin site info and support > the dgrin suggestion box). By doing this, threads are marked as read, and when all threads are read, the group is marked as read. I find this easier than using the back/refresh buttons on my browser.

So when I'm done reading a thread with several pictures, and I'm at the bottom of the page, I'd rather not have to scroll back to the top of the thread to click my breadcrumb link.

I wouldn't want the entire breadcrumb list, but maybe just a link to the current forum near the "Previous Thread | Next Thread" links.

Just a suggestion... if it's just me, maybe I'll try and write a Greasemonkey script. :):
    Chris
    edited November 23, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    I browse dgrin using the breadcrumb links at the top of the page (Like Digital Grin > Support > dgrin site info and support > the dgrin suggestion box). By doing this, threads are marked as read, and when all threads are read, the group is marked as read. I find this easier than using the back/refresh buttons on my browser.

So when I'm done reading a thread with several pictures, and I'm at the bottom of the page, I'd rather not have to scroll back to the top of the thread to click my breadcrumb link.

I wouldn't want the entire breadcrumb list, but maybe just a link to the current forum near the "Previous Thread | Next Thread" links.

Just a suggestion... if it's just me, maybe I'll try and write a Greasemonkey script. :):

Patch29 will be happy to see if this is do-able with our setup. Thanks for the suggestion!
    edited November 25, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Patch29 will be happy to see if this is do-able with our setup. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Cool, thanks!
    Chris
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:

In the bottom right of the page should be a "forum jump" link that should be set to the current forum you are browsing, or you can select another one from the drop down menu. Wouldn't that work. ne_nau.gif
    edited December 1, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    In the bottom right of the page should be a "forum jump" link that should be set to the current forum you are browsing, or you can select another one from the drop down menu. Wouldn't that work. ne_nau.gif
    Oh yeah... I can just hit the "Go" button and it will take me back to the forum I'm currently reading.

I guess I automatically censor out "Go" buttons from my brain since usually they don't do anything useful! 11doh.gif

Thanks! :D
    Chris
    edited December 2, 2005
    How about a place of some sort for requests for the moderators, things like thread moves, stick/unstick, and the like? That would provide a kind of "load balancing" among the moderators for these boring but important little jobs. I think this could just be a sticky thread in this forum.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 4, 2005
    Colored fonts, white backgrounds
    Light colored fonts don't work against light backgrounds; yellow is unreadable and white is invisible. I'm sure dark colored fonts don't work against dark backgrounds. I suspect that red and blue work against both kinds of backgrounds.

Suggestion: Note this in the vbulliten markup FAQ with language similar to: "When you use colored fonts, remember that dgrin allows users to have either light or dark backgrounds and that not all font colors are legible against all backgrounds. Unless you have really thought it through, don't use colored fonts, or limit your choice to red... which is visible against both backgrounds."
    If not now, when?
    edited December 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Light colored fonts don't work against light backgrounds; yellow is unreadable and white is invisible. I'm sure dark colored fonts don't work against dark backgrounds. I suspect that red and blue work against both kinds of backgrounds.

Suggestion: Note this in the vbulliten markup FAQ with language similar to: "When you use colored fonts, remember that dgrin allows users to have either light or dark backgrounds and that not all font colors are legible against all backgrounds. Unless you have really thought it through, don't use colored fonts, or limit your choice to red... which is visible against both backgrounds."

We know this, and we're working on a possible solution. Moving this to the suggestion box where it belongs - no need for a new thread thumb.gif
    edited December 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    How about a place of some sort for requests for the moderators, things like thread moves, stick/unstick, and the like? That would provide a kind of "load balancing" among the moderators for these boring but important little jobs. I think this could just be a sticky thread in this forum.

This is done, btw.
    edited December 4, 2005
    Andy wrote:

Thanks!
    If not now, when?
    edited December 4, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    We know this, and we're working on a possible solution.

For what little it's worth, my suggestion requires almost no work and would be a fine stopgap until something better comes along. You can:
    1. try to change font colors to match backgrounds,
    2. try to limit the font colors to ones that work against both backgrounds,
    3. eliminate the white background so everyone is on the same page,
    4. replace the explicit colors with intents, "wistful" for "yellow" and "angry" for "red", for example.

but all these things take some actual work or really limit people's options. Adding a little warning to the documentation requires very little work and limits nobody's options.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    eliminate the white background so everyone is on the same page

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited December 4, 2005
    Allow support of PNG files for attachments
    This would be useful for Mac folks, screen grabs, etc.

iloveyou.gif
    edited December 4, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    This would be useful for Mac folks, screen grabs, etc.

iloveyou.gif

OKAY! Done lol3.gif (wow, the response time on feature requests!)
    edited December 4, 2005
    eliminate the white background so everyone is on the same page
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot: Eliminate the black background so everyone is on the same page. Yeah!!!!!!
    If not now, when?