Options

selling used software?

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
How do you sell used software? Im wanting to sell my elements 9 but I have no idea how this is done with the licensing and serial number and all that jazz. any advice?

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    you cant , at least not legally
    you pay for the licence of usage , not for the software itself
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Really? theres not a way to transfer the ownership of the license? How do people do it then? They are all doing it illegally?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I've seen some threads on the Adobe forums about this. Apparently you contact Adobe and they have some paperwork that you fill out to transfer the license to someone else. Same thing if you buy used software...if you don't get the license transferred to you, you might not be able to get an upgrade price on the next version if the license is still registered to the person you bought it from. So it's an important thing to do.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    What colorbox said. Contact the software company and ask. If their policies will allow a license transfer both the seller and the buyer are good to go. While you can transfer the full versions like CS5 I don't know if this would be applicable for the smaller $100.00 programs, and fee for this could drive up the selling selling price beyond an attractive price point. Of course with a full version CS5 or Adobe suite a fee for transferring the license wouldn't impact the sale price very much if at all.

But remember if you just magically find a program like CS5 on your used computer you are not legally authorized to use it at all, much less qualify for upgrades.

Sam