Fourth of July

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited August 7, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Spent it at the Genesee Country Museum-- one of those "historic building/dress places."

1. This man built his own steam car in his basement:

SAM0671-L.jpg

2. He seemed smug about it.

SAM0674-L.jpg

3. The old school marm ...

SAM0675-L.jpg

There were some concessions to historical accuracy:

4. SAM0691-L.jpg

There was a parade. I'm not sure why this woman was carrying a baseball bat though.

5. SAM0732-L.jpg

6. SAM0762-L.jpg

The potter was quite a storyteller...
7. SAM0775-L.jpg

8. ...as well as a potter.
SAM0774-L.jpg

Seeing the sights ...

9. SAM0767-L.jpg

10. Waiting for the shot-- taken from the 2nd floor of an authentic 19th century brewery building!
SAM0782-L.jpg

All taken with a Samsung TL500. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    the two of the potter work for me and maybe in a nice contrasty B&W as well thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 4, 2011
    I like the potter as well but my favorite is the school marm. Too bad about the fire extinguisher in #4--that's some gorgeous light and texture there. I'd be sorely tempted to crop it out.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. The potter was a favorite of mine as well!

@Richard, the fire extinguisher caused me no end of grief. It's one of those scenes that I saw and immediately fell in love with-- and figured that no one else but me would appreciate. Plus the wife looking at me funny for taking a picture of a broom (and spending some time on it) when there were other things going on in the next room. rolleyes1.gif. I tried cropping it out both at composition and later in PP. Couldn't make either work to my satisfaction. :shrug
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    It might have worked as well to have the whole fire extinguisher in the shot, sort of a reminder to put ashes in the can. :D I agree with Richard about the light, it is wonderful in this shot. I think my favorite of the set is #7 potter--he looks like he is a bit put out that you are there, yet he is deep into his work at the same time. I like the way his hands are, as if he is taking the briefest of rests. Nice shot!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 5, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    It might have worked as well to have the whole fire extinguisher in the shot, sort of a reminder to put ashes in the can. :D I agree with Richard about the light, it is wonderful in this shot. I think my favorite of the set is #7 potter--he looks like he is a bit put out that you are there, yet he is deep into his work at the same time. I like the way his hands are, as if he is taking the briefest of rests. Nice shot!

He's actually talking to some younger children OOF about pottery-- he's a real potter, everything you see behind him he made by hand. I believe at this point he was explaining that if he makes an inferior pot he just throws the clay back and starts to make another one. "The world is full of bad pottery," he said. "I don't feel a need to add to it."

Which reminds me, I should probably go into Lightroom and delete some photos ... rolleyes1.gif
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I liked this shot and frankly I was a little bored so I wanted to see if I could remove the fire extinguisher, so here is about 1/2 hr edit.
    Ok I do see some mistakes?
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 5, 2011
    If one were to get all forensic about it, yeah, there are a couple of giveaways. But if this had been the original post, I'm pretty sure nobody would have been the wiser.
    edited August 6, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    It might have worked as well to have the whole fire extinguisher in the shot, sort of a reminder to put ashes in the can. :D

Something like this? Forgot I had it in my gallery!

SAM0690-XL.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    thumb.gif just like that.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com