Options

Heads Up! Our new Help System

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 11, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Today we launched our new help system. When you go to http://help.smugmug.com you will now see our new help portal, with a great big fat search box that should very quickly guide you to the page you need :barb You can also use this page to contact us, and our help and contact links on smugmug.com have been changed to this page.

A big plus with our new system is that now we can make help page changes, updates, and handle errata almost instantly.

Let us know what you think :) And as always, SmugMug's Support Heroes are available 365 days a year, nearly round-the-clock, simply by either emailing us from your email system or by going to http://help.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 1, 2011
    Nice job!

I'm just starting to wander through the help pages, looks good so far. Many thanks for the time that was spent to pull together these pages, and please pass my thanks on to your team.

--- Denise
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Nice job!

I'm just starting to wander through the help pages, looks good so far. Many thanks for the time that was spent to pull together these pages, and please pass my thanks on to your team.

--- Denise

+1

I like it, everything on one page. The side bar is great!

Good job!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    I see that links to the old help pages in forum posts are flipping to the new URL and are still going to the appropriate page in the help. Thanks for that!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    I see that links to the old help pages in forum posts are flipping to the new URL and are still going to the appropriate page in the help. Thanks for that!

--- Denise

nod.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Our heroes are answering mails much faster now, the new system is so much more productive. How do you like the search and help pages? ear.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Our heroes are answering mails much faster now, the new system is so much more productive. How do you like the search and help pages? ear.gif
    I like to see the changes and improvements, no wonder Shmoo was talking to her dog. I use the help functions quite a bit in programs and applications as I find that is more helpful than going to a "wide open" search engine. To me the speed of getting an answer is important, especially when focused on a task. If the task is step #7 of a 19 step process, I don't like waiting or be waylaid looking for an answer. Having all the information in one place is great and moving toward that.

I tried using the search function and found the results page a little distracting with some of the highlighting. Also the results could be a little over or under whelming at times.

Allow me to illustrate if one places the phrase "How do I display a random photo" in the search/question box, I get back 221 results and there is odd highlighting of the text.

If I place just the word "random" in the search/question box, I get back 8 results. That is much more manageable. The ranking of the results is a little surprising though. I would like to see the pages with the word "random" closer to the top. The page "Customize Random Photos into your header" was number 7. The results I got were as follows:
    • Communities
      If your passion is hangliding, bulldogs or Zanzibar, you're in luck: communities help you bond with other peop...
      JUL 25, 2011 07:11AM PDT
    • Hacks and Apps: Third-party uploaders, downloads, migration tools and ...
      A list of uploaders, downloaders, service migration tools, and other utilities that can help you. Want to get...
      JUL 29, 2011 10:12AM PDT
    • Assistant password
      Pro users can create an assistant password for their account that is separate from their main account password...
      JUL 29, 2011 04:49PM PDT
    • Feature a photo in your gallery
      A featured photo represents a gallery. The default for non-password-protected galleries is to rotate randoml...
      JUL 30, 2011 06:18PM PDT
      Old Flash Slideshow
      This is an older method of setting up a Flash Slideshow. Our new Show Off Slideshow is much easier to setup f...
      JUL 27, 2011 07:43PM PDT
    • The Gallery Tools Menu
      Find the menu Once you've logged in, you can find the Tools Menu near the top of every gallery page. The "...
      JUL 30, 2011 06:18PM PDT
    • Customize Random Photos into your header
      It's possible to collect random photos and display them, too. See Dgrin's header for example. The code used: ...
      JUL 29, 2011 04:49PM PDT
    • Show off your photos in Slideshows and Badges
      Love to flaunt your photos on the internet? How about a badge to tempt curious viewers to your site? As a Smug...
      JUL 28, 2011 07:26PM PDT

If you notice the word Random only appears in the excerpt for two of the entries.

Now having said that I have nothing but respect for the process of writing and indexing help, I do it at my job so I understand the difficulties of thinking how will people search for something.

I think that ability to indicate whether the page was helpful or not is a good idea. I am hoping that it will help get better search results moving forward.

A question I have, if one finds something wrong or has a suggestion for a help page what is the preferred method for communicating it? Help Desk? DGrin?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    A question I have, if one finds something wrong or has a suggestion for a help page what is the preferred method for communicating it? Help Desk? DGrin?

Help Desk - we can fix things nearly instantly.
    I've passed this on to Doc & Schmoo.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 4, 2011
    Brad,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the feedback. We ported our old help pages directly over to the new system (with a bit of manual polishing to keep the same format) and some of them are not yet conducive to relevance searching. We also integrated most of our wiki pages and a bit of the knowledge from our heroes.

We are planning to rewrite all of the pages to make better use of the search feature. Assistly is also making some changes on their side to help with this. As you probably know SmugMug is undergoing major changes every few weeks with smaller changes every few days. This new help platform allows us to keep pace with those changes in a much more efficient manner.

When those new features are released, we do plan to revamp the help pages much further. Every new page that we create is going to be given careful consideration to make sure the search ranking is handled properly.

If you find bugs or have suggestions for the help pages, for now email them to the help desk with 'Attn: Help Writers' in the subject. Hint: write it exactly like that without the ' and it will automatically get to right location. One of the help writers will review the suggestion.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Thanks for the fast response. I don't even think the electrons were dry yet.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I do not like "ask a question" type help pages. I have problems asking in the correct terms, even if I know them. Seeing what
    others call things on Dgrin they would have hard time finding answers. What I think would be good inconjuction is
    a keyword page type box with about ever term/phrase.

I much prefer the drill down method from general to specific which the old help page did.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011

:D Thank YOU for noticing. And you're welcome. (thanks also to Dan over at assistly for providing me with the csv mapping /help urls to article ids that made that so much easier to build.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I do not like "ask a question" type help pages. I have problems asking in the correct terms, even if I know them. Seeing what
    others call things on Dgrin they would have hard time finding answers. What I think would be good inconjuction is
    a keyword page type box with about ever term/phrase.

I much prefer the drill down method from general to specific which the old help page did.

Hey Allen, I'm with you on that one. But that's why assistly is so great... it's BOTH in one. That big block of links below the "ask your question here" is a drill down driven menu. Start with a general topic (highlighted in yellow in my screen shot) below, then find a particular topic from the associated green box (the most popular items on that topic) or click through to the full list just below it.

As doc mentioned earlier, we're still refining that organization some... so if there are things that don't seem to be in the place you would expect them to be, I'm sure the writers would welcome that feedback.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    I was using the help again this evening, and I am thinking that there could be an opportunity for improvement for non SmugMug subscribers. I got the same help screen welcome whether I was logged in or not to my SmugMug account. Thinking about the less computer experienced people, the first glance could be overwhelming. If I was just wanting to come in and order a print, having information about customizing a site might make me think I was in the wrong place. Would it be possible to bring back the logged in and logged out experience? If not would it be possible to group items so that there was "Client" and "Account Holder" areas that had clear borders. I think that this would help point the clients toward the right information.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2011
    Brad, we will take a look at the options for that. Its not possible right now but as I said, we are going to be redoing a lot over the next few months with regard to the pages. Just getting the content into the new format was the first phase. I have already begun the next phase and the other help writers have been as well.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Many of you will notice that our world-class email support is even faster now, thanks to our new system! And, there are more improvements to come clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I do like the new help a lot. Nothing but respect.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Many of you will notice that our world-class email support is even faster now, thanks to our new system! And, there are more improvements to come clap.gifclap.gif
    I certainly did. Got an answer in 9 minutes the other night!

The other thing I noticed, which was a pet peeve of mine, was that the emails from the HD were much less confusing than they used to be. The old style repeated the question 3 times and was formatted terribly; it made it very hard to read and decipher what was going on. The new system makes much cleaner emails - a big plus in my book.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011

Is that so? I sent an e-mail to help@smugmug.com last night at 8:01pm PDT and still haven't gotten a reply. Is the direct e-mail system no longer in use? Am I required to now use the form on the help pages?
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2011
    BenA2 wrote: »
    Is that so? I sent an e-mail to help@smugmug.com last night at 8:01pm PDT and still haven't gotten a reply. Is the direct e-mail system no longer in use? Am I required to now use the form on the help pages?

The direct email works as always. I just searched our system for the two emails I have for you (dgrin email and SmugMug email) and found nothing. Did you use a different email address?
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    The direct email works as always. I just searched our system for the two emails I have for you (dgrin email and SmugMug email) and found nothing. Did you use a different email address?

Well, I can't explain why you didn't receive the e-mail. But, the point is moot now. I had written about not receiving links in seven e-mails I received last night notifying me that gallery download zip files were created. But, at about 9:45am this morning, I received seven new e-mails that had the links in them this time.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2011
    BenA2 wrote: »
    Well, I can't explain why you didn't receive the e-mail. But, the point is moot now. I had written about not receiving links in seven e-mails I received last night notifying me that gallery download zip files were created. But, at about 9:45am this morning, I received seven new e-mails that had the links in them this time.

Yup, we had a problem with formatting in outbound emails for a few hours last night - and the zip links were missing in bulk download emails - so I had Ops send 'em again.