Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #82 (Midnight or Midday)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited August 6, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #82

NOTE: this is the last DSS challenge before Mega Challenge #13

Welcome to Round #82 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, July 25th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, August 8th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Midnight or Midday

Your EXIF must show a time taken within 1 hour of each of the two theme times. What this means is no earlier than 11:01PM and no later than 12:59AM for midnight. For midday the time should be no earlier than 11:01AM and no later than 12:59PM. There will be no exceptions, if you cannot show a proper EXIF within these time frames, shot during the challenge period, then your entry will be disqualified.

There are no editing restrictions in this round. Important: Any multiple shutter release images must all be taken within the time frames specified above.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Cool! This sounds like fun!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Can we do two images side by side with a line down the middle?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Can we do two images side by side with a line down the middle?

A one pixel line yes.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Yippeeee now I have an excuse to stay up past my bedtime
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    My stinkin' day job is seriously going to limit me... This WILL be a challenge!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    FreelilyFreelily Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2011
    New to dgrin....looking forward to the challenge....
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2011
    Welcome Freelily!
    Thanks for choosing the challenges forum and DSS to make your first post.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    Does Something Like This Comply with DSS Rules?
    Sean, is a composite image like this OK for dgrin challenges? All of the images are in the designated time frame and I could provide the exif for them, but not sure if the black and white color blocks are OK or not.

1. Hydrangeas in the Night and the Day
    i-KXNSW7p-M.jpg

2. Inverse Relationship
    i-x7XzQ9z-M.jpg

3. Night and Day
    i-8dHp5t6-M.jpg

Still working on this idea (and the execution) but am curious as to whether this kind of thing falls within the rules for borders, etc. If not, I'll shift gears. :D

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Sean, is a composite image like this OK for dgrin challenges? All of the images are in the designated time frame and I could provide the exif for them, but not sure if the black and white color blocks are OK or not.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

These fall within the guidelines and are okay to use if you like. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    These fall within the guidelines and are okay to use if you like. :D

Thanks. I just uploaded a temporary entry (and 2 unsatisfactory ones before that) and will work on a "real" entry. :D

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thanks. I just uploaded a temporary entry (and 2 unsatisfactory ones before that) and will work on a "real" entry. :D

Gretchen

Okay I have cleaned them up.

I need to explain why the ones you showed me are okay. Each one of the flowers on at least one of the sides of the frame came to the edge. The temp entry you posted is different and is floating in a "frame" of black or white none of the subject is ever reaching an edge. This is where a definition of a frame is very challenging, so much so I just wish I could drop the rule altogether. My fear is if it was dropped it we would start seeing all kinds of "frames" that are a distraction from the image itself.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Okay I have cleaned them up.

I need to explain why the ones you showed me are okay. Each one of the flowers on at least one of the sides of the frame came to the edge. The temp entry you posted is different and is floating in a "frame" of black or white none of the subject is ever reaching an edge. This is where a definition of a frame is very challenging, so much so I just wish I could drop the rule altogether. My fear is if it was dropped it we would start seeing all kinds of "frames" that are a distraction from the image itself.

Thanks for clarifying this further. Guess I'm glad I entered a different shot as the temporary one as it will help me narrow the options *and* perhaps help us understand this better. I am thinking that I'll enter one of the hydrangea collages with some tweaks. So #1 works because of the stems touching the outside and #2 and #3 work because the stems and/or leaves are meeting at the center so that the subject isn't floating. Think I've got it. (I would like to leave the temporary entry there for now if that's not a problem. Having computer issues at home and network issues at work and ready to take a break from the tech side of life for a bit....)

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    I'm glad I saw this. I'll have to be careful with my entry since it's similar. Yikes.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Good news! regarding frames and borders here

Please comment or ask questions about the change there not in this thread.

Thanks
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011

Your EXIF must show a time taken within 1 hour of each of the two theme times. What this means is no earlier than 11:01PM and no later than 12:59AM for midnight. For midday the time should be no earlier than 11:01AM and no later than 12:59PM. There will be no exceptions, if you cannot show a proper EXIF within these time frames, shot during the challenge period, then your entry will be disqualified.

Let me just say.....DAMMIT! I've been off by an hour.......since the day I got the camera......let me also say.........I already started eating it...........and so I'll say again........DAMMIT...........Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Let me just say.....DAMMIT! I've been off by an hour.......since the day I got the camera......let me also say.........I already started eating it...........and so I'll say again........DAMMIT...........Laughing.gif

Ummm..... Did I mention to check the date and time on your camera? Sorry Froch :cry
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Ummm..... Did I mention to check the date and time on your camera? Sorry Froch :cry

Laughing.gif...I know, I know...
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Laughing.gif...I know, I know...

Hopefully that awesome sandwich didn't go to waste.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Hopefully that awesome sandwich didn't go to waste.

Thankfully it was to big to eat in one sitting, so we'll see if she can be rebuilt.