Options

Traveling in Europe

hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited August 2, 2011 in Accessories
So im going on a trip to Paris, and Madrid(for world youth day) in about a month and im really struggling on an effective way to Cary my things.

This is my first trip to Europe so its sadly not going to be a photographic trip, but i plan to keep my camera around my neck most of the time. If we're sight seeing, walking from place to place is it a good idea to have it out all the time? Would this be a target for thieves?

I plan to have a backpack for extra food, jacket, and other essentials. A money belt, under my shirt, worn around my shoulder. Im debating on buying a crumpler 3 or 5 million dollar home. (would i need to put my camera away often?)

Does anyone have a good way for keeping things dry in my backpack in case it rains?

How do you usually pack?

Thanks, sorry i kinda just threw together all the things ive been pondering over, and never solved.
Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
Flickr
Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    dbarnbydbarnby Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Great advice up top - just go in and find what fits, make sure it is comfortable and can carry all your stuff - what i have is a large bag that carries 2 bodies and a bunch of lenses/flash/cleaning gear etc... (would post the name but was some unknown brand i found in a second hand store with the name already peeled off haha) which fits comfortably up in overhead when flying so i dont have to worry about any stuff getting taken - also holds my book and a laptop.

However if i can i wont take that bag out on a day shooting - i have a shoulder bag that i can put a couple lenses in each day and my camera. Just is faster than using a backpack if you need to switch things around. Also you can do it without having to stop and put the bag on the floor.

And if you are worried about thieves or pickpockets - then the moneybag is a good idea. And i read an article last year by a photojournalist who does a lot of overseas photography and what he said was the best way to counter them is to stay alert, and if you feel like you are being watched, instead of trying to hide, make sure you are in a public place and try to identify who it is that is watching - then take a photo of them, that will show them you know they are there and you have evidence aswell.

Hope you have fun with your travels!
    Dan
    "I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph can!" - Ansel Adams

www.danielbarnby.com
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Camera Security
    If you are worried about "cut and run" thieves, use a security type strap which cannot be cut easily.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/camera-security-c-34.html?osCsid=jbf3s042r7p3esaknrl7cfr6v2

if you are worried about your camera bag being stolen, use an insert and carry your gear in a cooler bag. The type people carry their lunch or picnic food in. No one is going to grab a cooler which will probably have a couple of bottles of water and a ham sandwich - especially if your camera is hanging around your neck or over your shoulder.

I often shoot with two cameras and use an OPTECH Dual Harness. Each camera is secured by two independent straps. Cutting one still leaves the camera connected to the harness (and you).

http://www.amazon.com/6501032-Harness-Neoprene-Carries-Cameras/dp/tech-data/B002IUQ180

If I am in a crowded place, I will often place the Dual harness and cameras under my photo vest. That will provide additional security.

BTW: I have traveled in many-many countries across the globe. Some of them like China can be considered exceptionally safe and others, like some Middle East and European areas, might be considered fairly dangerous.

I carry my passport, military retired ID and a credit card and an ATM card in a pouch that is strung around my neck and which I wear under my shirt. I also carry my bigger amounts of cash in this pouch.

I always carry an amount of local cash in smaller denominations in the front pocket of my trousers. It is more difficult to pick a man's front pocket than a rear pocket. I remove larger bills when needed in a private area (such as a lavatory) and replentish the smaller bills in my pocket when needed.

I don't accompany strangers who volunteer to be my guide. I don't go down areas in which I would be wary of in the States. If I am out after dark, I make sure that I stay in areas relatively populated with tourists.

I don't drink but, if a person drinks, moderation is the watchword when traveling.

I don't pick up women, no matter how friendly or pretty they are...
  • Options
    TelephotoTelephoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Yes, you need extra care in Europe. It is full of gypsies, tramps, and thieves - not at all sophisticated like Canada.

Hell, they have barely evolved since the plagues!

Tele
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Telephoto I disagree......I found the whole of the Czech Republic, very well evolved........can't speak as to Canada, as i have never been there.....but the ones I know are very rednecky....

I tromped all over the Czech Republic carrying my gear in a LowePro Pro Treker AW...in 2003 / 2004 it was the largest carryon made by LowePro....I never had a Pro with people looking like they might want to walk or run off with my bag.....when I took it off to get gear out....I stepped thru the shoulder harness with one leg.....let's face it if they want your bag they are gonna get it even if theat means stabbing you or crunching your skull with a bat...........I was out in the towns late at night and lets face the best shots are 99.999% of the time OFF the touristy paths.....again I go when i need to get the shot I want....so far have never been bothered or even had some of the types that looked like they might want to crunch your skull just for fun even try to scare me........I poked around Prague from 1 am till daylight several nights looking like a lost tourist, with 35mm and med. format hanging around my neck and tripod slung across back....I mean I looked i was just asking for it to be taken away from me....I guess I was lucky, but I also do not have an aire about me that shows any signs of worry about being mugged...........as i said guess I have been lucky.....

...since my lowePro is no longer carryon friendly with the current airline guidelines, I will be looking into getting a Pelican / Storm case that I can carry on or big enuff to put all the gear I want to take and do the gun packed inside to have it securely locked and tagged for safer travel or if money is no object..have it shipped by UPS or FED ex for pick up when I arrive...for walk around bag and to be safe as possible....then it will be one of LowePros Slingshot bags that will fit the gear I normally carry: 2 bodies with lenses attached (70-200 & 24-70 / 17-70) ), 1 flash, ND filters and cleaning tissues, extra batteries for all, tripod (Giottos 4 section)...I have tried going out with only 1 camera and I just flat feel totally naked....just can't do it, even if I have a 18-200 or 50-500 lens attached........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website