Options

Canon i9900 users still happy?

tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited October 12, 2005 in Accessories
It's been a while since I've seen anything posted on this...

I'm retiring my old HP 1120C after several years of use and I'm looking at the i9900. I've looked at many reviews of it and the Epson 1800, but I'm leaning toward the Canon. Is everyone here that uses it still pretty satisfied?

I haven't seen Andy sell his yet, so it must be doing something right.

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:

I'm retiring my old HP 1120C after several years of use and I'm looking at the i9900. I've looked at many reviews of it and the Epson 1800, but I'm leaning toward the Canon. Is everyone here that uses it still pretty satisfied?

I haven't seen Andy sell his yet, so it most be doing something right.
    Trying to resist urge to bust on andy......

Ok so I am still using mine, although the i9950 looks oh so good. And love it. Great printer and I would by another one if I was in the market.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Trying to resist urge to bust on andy......

Ok so I am still using mine, although the i9950 looks oh so good. And love it. Great printer and I would by another one if I was in the market.

dragon, i'm *very* disappointed in you...

i sold my i9900 a few months ago. yeah, i wasn't happy at all with the ink performance. printing only via smugmug/ezprints now, *considering* an epson 2400 or 4800 but not close to buying yet.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dragon, i'm *very* disappointed in you...

i sold my i9900 a few months ago. yeah, i wasn't happy at all with the ink performance. printing only via smugmug/ezprints now, *considering* an epson 2400 or 4800 but not close to buying yet.
    Are you talking ink consumption or ink fade?

I haven't had any ink fade and I still have prints from when they first came out and I don't take good care of my prints.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    How did I miss that?

I'd also like to know if it was fading or something else. I've heard people not liking the Canon inks because they are dye based and not pigment based and it's supposed to make a difference. Guess I need to do more research...
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    I have been thinking of a printer myself.

The Epson R1800 looks pretty nice.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    good enough for me
    i have the larger i9950 and i am happy with it-no problems with it-although i don't know whether i would use it for sale prints (then again most people wouldn't know what was used)

it is however a little too big-the need for A3 prints are pretty few and far between-the trend,in Melbourne anyway, is now for smaller prints with A4 probably as big as people want-most want smaller-smaller frames,smaller photos but more of them.

its certainly good enough for my purposes

i know that HP have more colours but to be honest that just looks like more expense-more colours to run out etc

greg

tlittleton wrote:

Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited October 11, 2005
    I am happy with the quality of print, ease of use, etc. But I am disappointed
    with the ink consumption.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:

First thing that popped into my head was..........If Andy bought it, he sold it. Don't get me wrong.....we love Andy, but he's a sick man. umph.gif

I have the i9900, and am very happy with it. That said I would ask what kind of prints are you looking for? Canon seems to rule in the speed, gloss prints and maybe ease of use.

Epson seems to rue in longevity, matt, and other types of paper, but may be more difficult to get set up.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    First thing that popped into my head was..........If Andy bought it, he sold it. Don't get me wrong.....we love Andy, but he's a sick man. umph.gif

I have the i9900, and am very happy with it. That said I would ask what kind of prints are you looking for? Canon seems to rule in the speed, gloss prints and maybe ease of use.

Epson seems to rue in longevity, matt, and other types of paper, but may be more difficult to get set up.

Sam
    Using kodak pro I get some amazing semi gloss prints off my canon.

Oh and your right if andy bought it for himself he has sold it several times over normally. I wonder how many cars he goes through in a year.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Actually, the Canon ink cartridges were one thing that steered me toward the i9900. I like the fact that I can look at a cartridge and tell if it is actually empty, rather than strictly rely on the printer telling me that it's empty.

As for the i9950, is that an international version of the i9900? I can't find it on Canon's U.S. website.
    ian408 wrote:
    I am happy with the quality of print, ease of use, etc. But I am disappointed
    with the ink consumption.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 11, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    Actually, the Canon ink cartridges were one thing that steered me toward the i9900. I like the fact that I can look at a cartridge and tell if it is actually empty, rather than strictly rely on the printer telling me that it's empty.

As for the i9950, is that an international version of the i9900? I can't find it on Canon's U.S. website.
    I bought the i9950 here in Australia, and I am pretty sure it's the international version as you said.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    here is what david and i are referring to
    its called the i9950 in Australia and UK

here is a description from the Australian Canon site-i think we are talking about the same printer?

http://www.canon.com.au/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i9950.html

devbobo wrote:
    I bought the i9950 here in Australia, and I am pretty sure it's the international version as you said.

Cheers,

David
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    After almost a year I am still using my i9900 and consider it an excellent printer. The only negative: ink tanks could be bigger and a (Canon only, if it were available) continuous ink feed system would be nice. Other than that, I can find no fault with it or the results and continue to print several large prints and many 8.5x11s a week on it for my clients.thumb.gif
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    I probably don't print near the volume some of you do, but I got mine in March and love it! Seems that I just got a magazine either PopPhoto or PCMag that compared the i9900 to a couple of others. As I recall, the overall nod still went to the i9900, but I'll double-check when I get home.

While we're on the topic, I've found pretty good deals at Amazon.com for the ink cartridges. They recently had the PhotoMagenta for $7.99 with Free SuperSave shipping and usually run around $9.50 on all of the cartridges. Has anyone found a better price and is it worth posting those kinds of deals and if so where is the appropriate thread for that sort of stuff?
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM