• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Finishing School best of the best cs5 plugins

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Jul-19-2011, 07:54 AM
oakfieldphotography.com is offline oakfieldphotography.com OP
Part time photojournalist
best of the best cs5 plugins
Are there a definintave group of tried and tested pluginns for cs5 using 32bit vista that you can reccomend for high end work?
Say for Landscape, Portrait and street photography.
What do you use and why?

Regards
Patrick

Last edited by oakfieldphotography.com; Jul-19-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Dont press buttons that you dont know anything about
Old Jul-30-2011, 08:44 AM
idiotabroad is offline idiotabroad
sInner gRinner
OnOne personal favorite, reasons why? too many to list.

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.
Old Jul-30-2011, 08:55 AM
basflt is offline basflt
Major grins
thats right

however
i still dont understand why , after all these years , every one refuse to make 64bit plugins [ and not only plugins ]

windows 128bit is on its way
are they waiting for that or what ?
Old Jul-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
I wouldn't call my work high end, but FWIW, I find PS and ACR can do just about anything I need. The one exception is noise reduction when the noise is really bad. I use Imagenomic's Noiseware Professional plug-in for that. There are 32 and 64 bit versions. I'm still waiting for the Take Better Shots plug-in, AKA the unsuck filter.
Old Jul-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Sam is offline Sam
San Jose CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by basflt View Post
thats right

however
i still dont understand why , after all these years , every one refuse to make 64bit plugins [ and not only plugins ]

windows 128bit is on its way
are they waiting for that or what ?

I have a number of plugins and they are all 16 bit. On One and Nik as examples.

Sam
Old Jul-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Even more outrageous is that many filters in Photoshop itself still only work in 8 bit mode. What a joke.
Old Jul-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Sam is offline Sam
San Jose CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Even more outrageous is that many filters in Photoshop itself still only work in 8 bit mode. What a joke.
This I agree with!

Sam
Old Jul-31-2011, 07:59 AM
gecko0 is offline gecko0
Major grins
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the Take Better Shots plug-in, AKA the unsuck filter.
HAhahahaaha...so true. Sign me up when the unsuck filter is available (32 or 64 bit is fine).
Old Jul-31-2011, 07:13 PM
fredjclaus is offline fredjclaus
Concierge Photographer
The only plugin I have so far for CS5 is a green screen program from Green Screen Wizzard. I've spent many years using PaintShop Pro and never felt the need to upgrade to Photoshop. Now that I have it, I'm learning a lot. I'll have to check out the OnOne plugins.
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
Old Aug-07-2011, 06:37 PM
wolf911 is offline wolf911
Major grins
I like Nik software and they do 64 bit.

Don't forget, a lot of great action scripts out there too.
Old Aug-08-2011, 02:53 PM
VayCayMom is offline VayCayMom
making real life prettier
I also have CS5 32 bit. I have a TON of plugins. MOST of these have free trials, so try them rather have me list why, besides I shoot portraits mostly. For you I recommend several, in random order.
Nik Color Pro, OnOne software,Totally Rad.keep us posted !

NIKON D700
Old Aug-09-2011, 04:21 AM
MarkR is offline MarkR
Accused Shill.
Everyone uses plugins differently, and everyone has different needs-- studio shooters need different tools than HDR landscape shooters, f'rinstance. So the initial question, "what are the best plugins" is kind of misleading. Instead, we should be asking, what makes a quality plugin?

1. Active support. Does the plugin manufacturer actively support the plugin?

The Polaroid Dust and Scratch filter is a prime example of this. It is a wonderful plugin for cleaning up dirt and scratches off of a scanned print. But it's 32-bit, and for Mac users, PowerPC. Odds of me launching CS5 in 32-bit rosetta mode, near 0%.

... Or Magic Focus, which I'd love to try, but has been in "new version coming soon" since forever. Or Kodak's ASF tools, which are "NEW! for CS3." I emailed Kodak support regarding a 64-bit version of their tools. They responded very quickly-- with a "we'll wait and see."

2. Functionality: for me to look at a plugin, it needs to either do something that I can't do in Photoshop, or which has a significant time savings impact. Noise reduction is a prime example-- outside of ACR, the noise reduction tools in Photoshop are quite limited. Also tools like Topaz Detail. I could ape the functionality of what Topaz Detail does in a very limited way in PS, but not with the level of quality that Detail offers.

3. Usage. As nice as Silver Efex may be, I don't do enough B&W to justify it's price.

4. Upgrade paths. Let's face it, time marches on, and at some point, we will all be using CS6, 7, 8. 9 ... what are the upgrade options for your plugin? Topaz Labs is particularly nice in this regard, having historically offered free upgrades across the board. On the other hand, no one really wants to re-buy the same plugin they've already bought, just to get bug fixes or compatibility updates. Admittedly, past performance does not guarantee future results :), but it does give a baseline against which to measure.

So what plugins do I use?

In Adobe: the scratch and dust filter, median blur, and lens blur tools (mostly for scanning images.)

TopazLabs: Detail, Denoise, Adjust, InFocus. InFocus gets used least frequently. Denoise gets pulled out when I accidently shoot at ISO 25600 (oops!) as it can give better results than ACR. Detail for sharpening and image enhancement, Adjust for adding depth and color to images.

PhotoWiz: Colorwasher, for quick WB and tonal corrections.

Currently evaluating: Nik Viveza 2 and Color Efex. (15 day trials? boo, hiss!)
Tell The World!