• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug APIs, Hacks & Tricks Arranging Album Order

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Jul-15-2011, 10:44 AM
huffman is offline huffman OP
Big grins
Arranging Album Order
Using the API, it's easy to sort Images within an Album using the sortmethod and sortdirection settings. But I can't find a way to do the same for sorting Albums within Categories, SubCategories, or ShareGroups. Using the GUI, I can click the "arrange" at the top of the group of albums and get anything I want. But can anyone tell me how do I do it through the API?

Bill
Old Jul-15-2011, 12:17 PM
MSkaffari is offline MSkaffari
SmugMug Product Manager
Unfortunately re-arranging Albums within Categories and Sub-categories is not possible through the API at the moment. We'll evaluate this request for our development backlog.
Old Jul-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Big grins
Thanks for an answer. At least I know it's not just that I can't find it.

When you consider including such an API call, please consider all of:

- Albums within Category
- SubCategories within Category
- Albums within SubCategory
- Albums within ShareGroup

Thanks,
Bill
Old Aug-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Big grins
As a followup question I actually have two questions:

1. I can set an album to sort by a particular method, such as filename. If I add more photos, they will be inserted
by the same sort criterion. So I can set the album once and forget it, even if I add pictures. Can I do the same
thing with a Category or SubCategory so that newly added albums will sort in a pre-determined order?

2. I've seen "Position" used as a means of sorting, and I can set "position" from the API. Is there a way to force the
sort order that way? So that when I add new albums, they automatically sort in the order I've asked for?

Thanks,
Bill
Old Aug-03-2011, 09:35 AM
MSkaffari is offline MSkaffari
SmugMug Product Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffman View Post
As a followup question I actually have two questions:

1. I can set an album to sort by a particular method, such as filename. If I add more photos, they will be inserted
by the same sort criterion. So I can set the album once and forget it, even if I add pictures. Can I do the same
thing with a Category or SubCategory so that newly added albums will sort in a pre-determined order?

2. I've seen "Position" used as a means of sorting, and I can set "position" from the API. Is there a way to force the
sort order that way? So that when I add new albums, they automatically sort in the order I've asked for?

Thanks,
Bill
1) Unfortunately we don't have a way to force sorting order for Categories and Sub-categories.

2) The position is only applies to Albums and Images. This requires you to manage the sorting order and setting the position to each item.
Old Aug-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Big grins
Thank you, Miikka.

Bill
Tell The World!