Options

Lightroom help

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 28, 2011 in Finishing School
I shot a wedding yesterday as a second and I need to copy the RAW images onto an external hard drive or burn some DVD's and deliver them to the primary.

I will be doing some basic culling, color balance, exposure, etc adjustments in LR3. I will also do some special edits, but those I will save as psd.

In the past I simply copied the files in finder (Mac) and delivered them without any adjustments.

I want to some how export the RAW images from my LR3 onto an external HD and have all the adjustments I make stay with the files so that when the primary imports the images into his computer / LR3 all the adjustments I made will be with the files.

How does I do it?? :D

I hope I explained this adequately?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    as far as i know , you cant
    LR dont change RAW or write to it

your adjustments are saved in TIFF and PSD when exporting

not sure , though

what you could try ;
    in preferances / file handling
    check ; embed original RAW in dng

you can test by using an old RAW [ a copy ] , save , then remove the old original , and import the dng and see what happens

another idea would be to make a new catalog , and include that one along with the RAW's

hope it helps
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    hey Sam you still there ?
    i just tried myself , it works

use export , as dng and check embed original RAW
    the edit's you made are in there
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    hey Sam you still there ?
    i just tried myself , it works

use export , as dng and check embed original RAW
    the edit's you made are in there

Thanks!!

I need run out fo awhile, but as soon as I get back I will try it. clap.gifclap

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 26, 2011
    Or just export tiffs,

But if the edits follow the dngs when exported, that is even better!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2011
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Or just export tiffs,

But if the edits follow the dngs when exported, that is even better!

Did a quick test following basfit's instructions and I was able to export the dng file and it retained all the edits I made in LR3.

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 26, 2011
    Cool. I would not have guessed that, Sam.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2011
    The great thing about this is that I can make all the edits I want in LR3 and send the RAW files to the primary retaining all those edits. Last time I had to save the files as a psd, so the primary received unedited RAW files and psd files.

This saves space........he get my selections edited and ready to go. If for any reason he doesn't like the edit he can reset back to the unedited RAW file.

This will also work for editing in your laptop and then transferring those images with edits to your deck top computer.

I also think there is a way to do this with an entire catolog with sub folders etc.

I will try this later.

Sam
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    I suspect you could also do the same without converting to dng as long as you set Lightroom to write to a sidecar xmp file, and you remember to copy the sidecar with the original raw. DNG is probably a little more elegant for this.

This will only work if both parties are using the same raw converter-- if one is using LR, the other Aperture, it may pick up on keywords and ratings, but likely won't touch the edits. (Or worse, misinterpret the edits!)
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    I suspect you could also do the same without converting to dng as long as you set Lightroom to write to a sidecar xmp file, and you remember to copy the sidecar with the original raw. DNG is probably a little more elegant for this.

This will only work if both parties are using the same raw converter-- if one is using LR, the other Aperture, it may pick up on keywords and ratings, but likely won't touch the edits. (Or worse, misinterpret the edits!)

The primary is using LR3, so no worries.

sam
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    The primary is using LR3, so no worries.

sam

Oh, I was just saying in general, in case someone tried the same thing and can't figure out why Silkypix isn't reading the Bibble-developed files.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »

A LOT more elegant! For one, its got the embedded preview of the current rendering (the previews are saved in different places in LR and not the xmp sidecare). If the user works with a custom DNG profile, that too is embedded into the DNG. The file is smaller too. You can even save out (export) Virtual Copies as DNG’s such that this proprietary metadata in your library is a stand-alone raw with all the goodies mentioned above.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/