Options

Host a SmugMug site for someone else.

mikeymomikeymo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 10, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Not sure if this belongs here, but hey.

I've been shooting sports lately, and the sports director for the town's high school (where I live) asked me if I would be interested in hosting a "website" that could display all the photos of a particular game, and include a section for comments/post game recaps (by coaches). This would go out to the entire school, families, town, etc.

I would maintain the site, shoot and process the photos, upload and sell (for my profit), and anything else related to the site.

I already have a SmugMug site and was thinking of using this avenue for the HS.

My question is what would I charge for this? They have the typical sports teams (baseball, basketball, etc) in which I would shoot 2-3 games a week (depending on season). I wasn't going to charge them for the shoot initially, and only sell the photos for myself as a portfolio builder, but they threw in the wrinkle of hosting a site for them.

Not sure how to go about figuring this out.

Shed some light?

Comments

• Options
    mikeymomikeymo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2011
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    I'd charge a MINIMUM of the pro SM account fee and then a per event shoot fee. It all depends on how much money you want to make out of this, but it will turn into a job as they will expect you there even when you don't want to be there. Factor that into your fees.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Since SM is has unlimted storage and you can customize it even with making categories look like a home page (I saw a thread in customization a few days ago)..so set a category up just for the HS, then each gallery would be a different event.....go this for 1 semester, a month or two to see how it works out.....
    This going to be a of work and if the coaches want access to do their own updates of the games and such...that could reek havoc upon you to keep up with and as SamirD said it means be available almost 24/7/365 for problems.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Just a thought. Instead of spending the $$$ for a Smugmug site, no disrespect. Build a wordpress/blogger/custom site that allows comments and updates for the coaches etc. All the images would link back to your Smugmug site for sales etc. This would probably be cheaper and push traffic to your site for sales. Just an idea.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Ohiohiker wrote: »
    Just a thought. Instead of spending the $$$ for a Smugmug site, no disrespect. Build a wordpress/blogger/custom site that allows comments and updates for the coaches etc. All the images would link back to your Smugmug site for sales etc. This would probably be cheaper and push traffic to your site for sales. Just an idea.
    Something like this is good, but people can start to bypass your site to go straight to your smugmug gallery. Might as well build it there if possible. And a facebook fan page can be used in this manner as well.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!