Options

Smug's alternative for TwitPic desperately needed!

rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited July 2, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
UPDATE: I've created the suggestion here. <--- PLS GO VOTE!!

It used to be a minor inconvenience to not be able to use SmugMug for hosting on-the-go pictures shared on Twitter. Now that companies such as TwitPic are actively planning to resell images posted to their service a proper rights-controlled hosting service is badly needed.

While I'm sure there are ways to accomplish this via SmugShot, to my knowledge there is no simple way to do the following:
* Take picture on phone
* Upload to SM gallery along with short description
* Provide easy way that this description along with a short URL (smu.gs) to picture can be inserted into new Tweet.
* It should be assumed that most users viewing the photo will be visiting via a mobile device

Further:
* Provide API access to this service such that Twitter clients can implement smu.gs as a photo sharing service just like they do today with TwitPic, yFrog, etc.

Honestly I'm surprised that neither SmugMug nor Flickr have done this as of yet... it seems that both have the userbase and rights-control already in place and would only benefit through Twitter integration. Am I really in such a minority of people who care about rights to their casual photos?

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Great idea. I would vote for it if you put it up at Uservoice (http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug). It is the tool that SmugMug uses to track user requests and users to vote on what they like.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Great idea. I've created the suggestion here. <--- PLS GO VOTE!!
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I voted for this, great idea!
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    rdlugosz wrote: »
    While I'm sure there are ways to accomplish this via SmugShot, to my knowledge there is no simple way to do the following:
    * Take picture on phone
    * Upload to SM gallery along with short description
    * Provide easy way that this description along with a short URL (smu.gs) to picture can be inserted into new Tweet.
    * It should be assumed that most users viewing the photo will be visiting via a mobile device

Further:
    * Provide API access to this service such that Twitter clients can implement smu.gs as a photo sharing service just like they do today with TwitPic, yFrog, etc.
    Parts of this process are in place with the email upload capability. Since it is always to the same gallery, it's a bit inconvenient, but it is possible to send a link to the gallery and have the gallery sorted in reverse upload order so the newest image always comes up first.

Facebook has had similar rights for a long time now, allowing people to make prints at your local Target. 'Photography for the masses' has turned the professional side on its ear, with intellectual property rights being given up by those that don't understand them. And I fear the problem will get worse before it gets better...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    I voted and hope lots more will!
    I voted and commented thumb.gif

Could the origanal poster of this message update the origanal post to include the vote for link in the top message? I clicked on the second posters link several times trying to find where to vote. Duh!

My uservoice comment:
    This would be super *fantabulous* if when I uploaded to my smugmug (via computer, phone or email) I could have the option to have one or more of those photos post to twitter plus post &/or copy to my facebook with their captions intact. :-) Where this would really come in handy is for photo status updates and those photo-a-day projects and such.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    eileenreileenr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2011
    Cindy wrote: »

My uservoice comment:
    This would be super *fantabulous* if when I uploaded to my smugmug (via computer, phone or email) I could have the option to have one or more of those photos post to twitter plus post &/or copy to my facebook with their captions intact. :-) Where this would really come in handy is for photo status updates and those photo-a-day projects and such.

Agreed, I'd love to text or email with a photo attachment.

Voted!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    eileenr wrote: »
    Agreed, I'd love to text or email with a photo attachment.

Voted!
    You can already email a photo, but it goes into a specific gallery. This is fine if you only want to have one gallery where it will be seen, but if you want a different gallery each time, you'll have to move it each time to the gallery you want it in.
  • Options
    eileenreileenr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2011
    Cindy wrote: »

Could the origanal poster of this message update the origanal post to include the vote for link in the top message? I clicked on the second posters link several times trying to find where to vote. Duh!

My uservoice comment:
    SamirD wrote: »
    You can already email a photo, but it goes into a specific gallery. This is fine if you only want to have one gallery where it will be seen, but if you want a different gallery each time, you'll have to move it each time to the gallery you want it in.

So I can already email a photo to Smugmug and it will automatically send a tweet out for me as Cindy outlined? How do I set that up?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    eileenr wrote: »
    So I can already email a photo to Smugmug and it will automatically send a tweet out for me as Cindy outlined? How do I set that up?
    It won't automatically. But once it's in the gallery, you can use the buttons there to complete the process.