Options

F-stop Pack Sizes

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited September 4, 2011 in Accessories
Since last fall I have been abusing an F-stop Loka pack. It has been on many backcountry snowboard adventures this winter and has been a great BACKPACK that happens to carry camera stuff. Instead of a camera bag that happens to carry "some" other gear. When I bought this pack I signed up for the F-stop Friends with Benefits Program. Included in this are a few free shipments of gear to check out and demo for a while. It lets you check stuff out and even borrow loaner gear. I had to get a bigger ICU so I had a bunch of other stuff shipped out to see how my gear fits. I wanted to see the bigger Tilopa BC and the smaller Guru pack. I need another pack for hauling more gear at events and for my girlfriend.

Here they are lined up to compare sizes.
Left to right. Guru, Loka, Tilopa The Guru and Tilopa I have here are what they call Foliage Green. It is sort of green gray. I like it.

You can see here the Tilopa BC on the right is not much taller than the Loka. The Guru on the left is much smaller in every way.i-3v7C5Zj-L.jpg

All have nice padded straps. As the packs go up in size, so do the straps. Also all of these packs have back panel access to your gear.
i-t8kRb9F-L.jpg

In this view it is easy to see the Tilopa is much "thicker" than the Loka.
i-FmGLqkL-L.jpg

The Tilopa BC and Guru are are new this year. The Tilopa BC is an updated version of the original Tilopa pack. The BC is a bit smaller than the regular Tilopa and has updated straps. It is basically a bigger version of the Loka.

The Guru on the other hand is much smaller and resembles more of a school backpack. But it shares a few important features with the bigger packs. #1 is it has an aluminum frame to help support the weight of camera gear. #2 is interchangeable ICUs. The Guru seems most suited to a small ICU but a medium will fit too.

Here are a few views of the Guru.
Rear panel access. Small ICU with a 300s 24-70 with the hood extended and a flash.
i-6fDX7nT-L.jpg

Using the small ICU gives you about 1/2 the pack for other gear. In here I have the Fstop large lens case with an 80-200, Gorillapod and a few layers.
i-Tz7rwd5-L.jpg

Here is a shot of the Medium ICU in my Loka. This is a D3s with a 105 VR attached. The empty pocket on the left fits my 300s with a small prime attached, usually the 10.5 fisheye. And the lower left pocket fits a flash or small lens. In the main compartment I have the large F stop lens case with the 80-200, gorillapod, SB900 flash in its case and a jacket. It has more room to spare too.
i-J6wFLSp-L.jpg

In the end I like both packs. But the guru is a bit small in the torso for me. It would fit my girlfriend very well though. I think the Tilopa BC is more of what I need for travel and more gear hauling. It is just a bigger version of the Loka. So I guess it is next on the list for packs for me to get. It is a very versatile design and should do the trick. The Guru is a great pack for less gear. The frame in it will distribute load like the bigger packs and it does have a nice waist belt to put the load on the hips instead of your shoulders. This might be the perfect sight seeing camera pack. The best part is it does not look like a camera bag. Nothing screams steal me like most camera bags.

It is cool to see a company making gear for outdoor photographers. I can't say enough about the ability of these packs to carry your gear, not just camera gear. I don't need a bigger pack with more holes for lenses. I need to carry jackets, food, water, shoes, shovels, avalanche gear, fishing stuff, or even my dog:huh But I also need a space for a camera or 2.

Check them out here: http://fstopgear.com/

For my detailed review of the Loka and some shots of the standard Tilopa check it out here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180316

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I don't need a bigger pack with more holes for lenses. I need to carry jackets, food, water, shoes, shovels...........I also need a space for a camera or 2.

Same here! Looks like nice gear! Thanks for the review!
    tom wise
  • Options
    shotgianshotgian Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2011
    hi,
    thanks for this good review. I've a question to ask: is it possible to change the len without taking off completely the backbag like it happens with the lowepro flipside?
    thank
  • Options
    NurseLoafNurseLoaf Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    These look great. Anyone know where you can find them? Website is out of stock.
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Order one and wait for it! Unless you can find someone selling one used. They've really increased their orders over the last year, and are working to increase production. Or, so I was told when I ordered mine and got put on the wait list. Oh and with the design of the ICU's and pack, there's no secondary access. Actually, I'm happy with that and looking forward to the arrival of mine.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2011
    shotgian wrote: »
    hi,
    thanks for this good review. I've a question to ask: is it possible to change the len without taking off completely the backbag like it happens with the lowepro flipside?
    thank

No the pack needs to be removed to get to your camera and lenses. The back panel is the access point. There is a new pack in the works that does have a side entry. These should be available in the near future from what I hear.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2011
    mstens wrote: »
    Order one and wait for it! Unless you can find someone selling one used. They've really increased their orders over the last year, and are working to increase production. Or, so I was told when I ordered mine and got put on the wait list. Oh and with the design of the ICU's and pack, there's no secondary access. Actually, I'm happy with that and looking forward to the arrival of mine.

The way their demand has ramped up, they are behind on production. Fstop is working on that trying to get their supply chain dialed in for this year. There are tons of new products coming too.
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The way their demand has ramped up, they are behind on production. Fstop is working on that trying to get their supply chain dialed in for this year. There are tons of new products coming too.

Yea, they were also really cool about explaining their position, as such I had no problems going on the wait list. I'm just hoping I have it by winter and am looking forward to it!