Options

From my Blind.... (long post)

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited October 3, 2005 in Wildlife
I went out well before sunrise today and set up my blind in a grassy area in the middle of the river.

I thought I could walk out there without getthing my feet wet... doh! guess not.

It wasn't long after I got it set up and hopped inside before the parade of subjects started.

First to arrive was a GBH but it was still pretty dark and tripod or no, shutter speeds were tooooo low. (3 sec)

When the sun came up the light got better fast.

a egret came by to see if the fishin was good.

38359606-M.jpg

While he was checking it out, a group of white tailed deer cut through the river to avoid the people that would soon be jogging about through their woods.

38359871-L.jpg

Before long, the egrets were fighting for elbow room.

38352837-L.jpg

The GBH came back and brought a few friends. I was affraid he was gunna stick that spear of a nose through my blind he got so close.

38352804-L.jpg

38360662-L.jpg

He eventually moved off, I could hear a couple of them argueing back and forth behind my blind but i was affraid to unzip for a look. A was surprised and the constant bickering over territory between egrets and herons alike.

38360819-M.jpg

As the heron moved away from the blind, I saw this comorrant hop up on a rock about 30 feet from me.

38352898-L.jpg

He decided to catch some rays and dry his wings.

38359701-L.jpg

While he was sunning himself, this buck made his way across the river. I wonder where he is going... Ooohhh thats right, there were some does by earlier.

38353021-L.jpg

The wings were now dry so it was time to fish some more. The comorrant gave the blind a glace and hopped back in the water.

38353155-L.jpg

I was hoping a green or night heron might make an appearance, but it didn't happen.

I saw plenty of egrets and GBHs though so I was happy.

38360081-L.jpg

This guy caught a crayfish which are pretty common here in the river.

38361336-L.jpg

This mallard swam by turns out he was gunna be my last guest for the morning.

38361393-L.jpg

A couple of people came walking up the game trail making enough noise for a Mardi Gras party. They stopped and had a chat for about ten minutes twenty feet from my blind. Of course the wildlife dissappeared.

All in all it was worth the wet shoes. I had a good time.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    How neat
    So sorry the people came by and scared off the wildlife.

We watch this one spot where the gulls and pelicans come in and take a "bath." It never fails when there's a nice big group of them that someone comes up to the point on the bluff above their "bath house" and they all take off in a flurry -- or if a dog comes by then it's goodbye birdies!

You got some really neat photos though, certainly worth the wet shoes.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Greaper,

Sure wish I coulda shared that time...looks fantastic. Nice shots. Jealous, I am.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    tinbashertinbasher Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Hi Brian,

Well, you have way more patience than I do...I would have yelled at the people on shore after 30 seconds...lol!
    You definatly have a way with the camera...one of the nicest sets of pics I have seen!! Nice job indeed! I love the doe's crossing the river...an exposure nightmare, but you HIT IT dead on.
    Keep up the nice work.

Cheers, Tony
    If a tree falls in the forest...did anyone get a picture of it?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Outstanding Brian. The second and thrid shots in particular are prime. clap.gif

I would love to a shot of your blind.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Holy Crap Greap!!
    I was blown away by the Buck and a GBH in the same frame!bowdown.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I got a blind too this year dunno if I'll get a chance to use it?
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 2, 2005
    Excellent work Brian. I love the close up head shot of the GBH - great light - I know just how hard they are to get close here in the Midwest. Lovely series of shots. The deer in the river are great too, although deer aren't usually as spooky as the birds.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    really nice work, greaper!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Been thinking about trying a blind myself, this set my push me into getting one!!

Well donethumb.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    That deer shot is fantastic mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot everyone for the kind comments.

I really love being out there watching all of this go on around me.

I am also very happy to have a comunity like Dgrin to share them on.

Harry aked about my blind so I thought I would go out in the yard and shoot it for him.

The blind is roughly 5' x 5' x 5' inside. It has a zippered door on one side and windows on the other three.

This shot is the door side. I have left it partly unzipped so that the door is easy to see.

38386541-M.jpg

The window sides each have a small window and a large window. The large one is for hunters, I never use it. The small one, pictured here is twice as high as it looks because I have it zipped up half way.

38386739-M.jpg

Inside I usually sit on an inverted bucket (handy for carting stuff in and out as well). I keep my camera on a tripod, and shoot that way most of the time. Sometimes I know it will spook an animal to move the tripod so I detach and shoot handheld if I need to.

38386756-M.jpg

Here is a shot with the door unzipped to get in and out.

38386816-M.jpg

This all folds up into roughly a 2 foot disk with shoulder straps.

Generally I can walk up to a location, and set up in a minute or less.

I put down my stuff, pull the blind out of its carry bag and pop it open. It is like a spring when you fold it up so when you unfold it, it pretty much pops open.

I put my gear inside and step in, I zip it behind me.

Presto, I am out of sight.

There is more to do, braces in the ceiling, stakes in the corners, set up tripod, assemble camera, etc. All of these things I do slowly and quitely from the inside.

Dont get me wrong and think this is all easy and peaches and cream... It's dark out, You are generally on rough and unknown terrain. You are carrying. Your camera bag, A tripod, a 5 gallon bucket, and this blind. and maybe even a small cooler with beverages or a lunch. It's a lot of stuff and it gets heavy.

I have hiked in as far as 2 miles carrying all this crap. It was flat level ground, but it sure gets heavy.

This morning I only had to walk in about 200 yards to the river.

It can be a great expierience and well worth the effort. If you are successful in setting up undetected, the wildlife will ignore the blind and go about their lives. If you are careful, you will get to witness it up close.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    I was blown away by the Buck and a GBH in the same frame!bowdown.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I got a blind too this year dunno if I'll get a chance to use it?
    There is an OOF egret in the frame as well..
    :D
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Nice set of photos, Brian. Hmmm a blind, eh? I've never used one.....or thought about using one. Interesting approach. I guess I'm lucky as most of the local birds are pretty freindly....and not afraid of people. I get pretty close and have only been using a 200mm for most of my shots. I've actually had egrets and GBherons walk into my house if the patio door is left open. I've also had snakes come in. eek7.gif :uhoh I'm wondering if those blinds come in funky blue? I know a few guys that might like one in just such a shade. rolleyes1.gif

Well done...again. thumb.gif

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Good stuff Brianthumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Yup Yup
    Yup looks a lot like mine Greap! Folds the same way just the openings are a bit diff.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Very nice Brian, 2nd with the herd is my favorite.

Now tell us, how long does it take to put the blind away? I have one
    like it and after a couple hours I gave up. My wife was ROFL. I'm
    planning on setting it up near a kingfisher perch but don't know if I'll
    have the strenght to twist it back down. The spot is too long a walk
    so I'll use my mountain bike and at five dia. the ride back would be fun.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    Very nice Brian, 2nd with the herd is my favorite.

Now tell us, how long does it take to put the blind away? I have one
    like it and after a couple hours I gave up. My wife was ROFL. I'm
    planning on setting it up near a kingfisher perch but don't know if I'll
    have the strenght to twist it back down. The spot is too long a walk
    so I'll use my mountain bike and at five dia. the ride back would be fun.
    AL

Laughing.gif, funny you should say that.

It doesn't take strength, it takes finness (SP?), which I usually lack. It's all in the twist. Put one hand on each side and twist them the opposite way. It should just twist right into a disk. That's what I told my Dad while he watched me put it away after shooting these pics. He had a good laugh at my expense because it just didn't want to go. I got it on the third try.

In the field this morning it practically jumped back into it's bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Nice set of photos, Brian. Hmmm a blind, eh? I've never used one.....or thought about using one. Interesting approach. I guess I'm lucky as most of the local birds are pretty freindly....and not afraid of people. I get pretty close and have only been using a 200mm for most of my shots. I've actually had egrets and GBherons walk into my house if the patio door is left open. I've also had snakes come in. eek7.gif :uhoh I'm wondering if those blinds come in funky blue? I know a few guys that might like one in just such a shade. rolleyes1.gif

Well done...again. thumb.gif

MM
    It's not my original idea, I read a lot about it on the web and thought I would try it. I have had good success with it. The birds up here have a pretty broad fight or flight zone and will not allow a close aproach.

A person is lucky to get within 100 feet before they fly off. In the blind I had a GBH to close to focus this morning.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Outstanding series.thumb.gifthumb I'm going to have to get me one of those! The birds in this area are also very skiddish. I've never been closer than 50 yrds to a GBH.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Wonderful shots, Greaper! Where does one decide to place a blind? Where do you live? Etc?

Those shots are prime! You got it all, almost.

Where did you get the blind? did you make it?

A shot of the blind would have been great, smile. Scratch that, you did a great job showing us the blind. Looks like a tent we used to camp in, but a diff color.

I can just see me putting a blind up somewhere with the tide out.............and, well, actually, I would have no idea where to put a blind, but a tide dominated area would not seem to be it. I need one, though. My birds are like yours. They like their personal space.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Wonderful shots, Greaper! Where does one decide to place a blind? Where do you live? Etc?

Those shots are prime! You got it all, almost.

Where did you get the blind? did you make it?

A shot of the blind would have been great, smile. Scratch that, you did a great job showing us the blind. Looks like a tent we used to camp in, but a diff color.

I can just see me putting a blind up somewhere with the tide out.............and, well, actually, I would have no idea where to put a blind, but a tide dominated area would not seem to be it. I need one, though. My birds are like yours. They like their personal space.

ginger

Blinds like this can be bought at any hunting supply store like cabella's etc. they come in a variety of sizes, colors, styles etc.

Where to put it... ah... thats the trick.

I pick a spot that has a nice field of view on at least two sides. It should be fairly level and hopefully dry. I try to avoid lots of dead leaves as they make noise when I move around.. If possible, I like to be able to see a likely food source for whatever I am hoping to see. Always be aware of what direction the light will be coming from. You dont want to spend all morning shooting into the sun.

Usually I place it in an area where I know the animals frequent. Someplace I see them all of the time but they will not let me approach.

Here are a coupe of links about it with good info:

HERE

HERE
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Love the shots and words.
    If not now, when?