Options

Minolta lens to Nikon mount adapter

Dirty KarlosDirty Karlos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 17, 2011 in Accessories
Hi

I have the use of a 400m Minolta lens, and from what I can gather it is possible to purchase an adapter to enable me to use this lens.
Can anyone recommend a good adapter, or have any experience with this type of set up?
Yes, I am a beginner and cannot afford to buy a big lens yet, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance,

Karlos.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited April 17, 2011
    Sadly an adapter for Minolta lenses on a Nikon body requires an optical element to maintain infinity focus. Basically this optical element is a mild teleconverter, which is not in itself a bad thing, but I know of none that are terribly high optical quality.

In the adapter world Novoflex claim to be the highest quality optics, and they are certainly the most expensive adapters, but I don't see the Minolta to Nikon combination supported.

Fotodiox are certainly popular and they are reasonably priced. I suppose that they are the best recommendation in this case. While this adapter will allow you to mount the Minolta lens on your Nikon body safely, I do not think that you will be happy with either manual focus operation or manual aperture operation.

Then again if you have the opportunity to take your time and can use live view to focus, and if you understand the concept of focus with the aperture open and then stop down to take the picture, this can be fun.

I have a similar adapter to go from old Canon lenses (FD mount) to current Canon EOS camera bodies (EF mount) and it can be fun to use. It's just no good in any sort of action/sports or even social setting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums