that new camera smell

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in Cameras
of course i do my alot of my nyc shopping directly at b&h, but for new cameras, i totally dig tallyn's. they've got great service, followup, and return policies. and, they're quick to get new stuff and ship. the staff are wonderful to deal with. highly recommended!

today, i got my 5D, and 24-105L from them. i've bought a bunch of cameras from these guys over the years. yet i was still surprised to find, inside the box, some nice little gifts, a cf-card wallet and a canon watch! thank you, tallyn's :D

38093788-L.jpg

more later :D

enjoy (that new camera smell) photography,

Comments

• NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Enjoy indeed!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    I want first dibs when you are ready to sell the 24-105 f4 Lthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    I want first dibs when you are ready to sell the 24-105 f4 Lthumb.gif

well, okay eek7.gif but *nobody's* getting that canon clip-on watch-y thing-y from me lol3.gif
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Can't wait to see the photos from your new toy clap.gif
    Congrats

Fred
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    Congrats, Andy! And plz post 24-105 comments!
    andy wrote:
    ...for new cameras, i totally dig tallyn's. they've got great service, followup, and return policies. and, they're quick to get new stuff and ship. the staff are wonderful to deal with. highly recommended!
    Thanks for the recommendation -- I had never heard of them before, but I'll bookmark them! The extra little "treats" they included were really nice.

I take it that you bought your gear in their store? Their web site is atrociously difficult to navigate. I can't even find the 24-105 f/4 L lens listed there.
    andy wrote:
    today, i got my 5D, and 24-105L from them.
    Hot darn! Way to go, congrats, Andy!

I'm anxiously waiting for my 24-105; it's expected to ship to me in mid-Oct. I hope that you can post your personal comments re the 24-105 after you use it a bit!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    Good deal! Now where's the pictures? :D

Any idea where to buy that Canon clippy watch? Would be cool on my camera bag.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    well, okay eek7.gif but *nobody's* getting that canon clip-on watch-y thing-y from me lol3.gif
    Darn. darn I so wanted that:cry

Now go take some pictures please
  • Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    Hi Andy !
    andy wrote:
    What else does that cliponwatchythingy do 'xcept tell you you're late with posting your 5D samples here on DGRIN ?
    ok ok peter
    What else does that cliponwatchythingy do 'xcept tell you you're late with posting your 5D samples here on DGRIN ?

lol3.gif i took the 5d on a small job i had this afternoon for a good client. she wanted pics of her two-year old. i showed her a bunch of nice shots, she chose this one ne_nau.gif the client, the client, they get what they want... the mom said "that's *my* girl! that's her essence, thank you!" anyhow, i'm working up others but here's a proof, quick and dirty:

canon 5d, with canon 24-105L on board. click pic for exif.

38137313-L.jpg
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    Does Tallyn's do that with everyone or just for their preferred customers? mwink.gif

Erich
    erich6 wrote:
    Does Tallyn's do that with everyone or just for their preferred customers? mwink.gif

Erich

ne_nau.gif it's probably the fifth body i've bought from them though.
    one more proof, different kid, same shoot:

canon 5d, canon 24-105L @ 105mm (click for exif)
    38138329-L.jpg
    ... she chose this one ne_nau.gif the client, the client, they get what they want... the mom said "that's *my* girl! that's her essence, thank you!"
    Well, if the client is helping to pay for that 5D ... I'd give her whatever she wanted, too :D
    Thanks for sharing the shots!
    anyhow, i'm working up others but here's a proof, quick and dirty:
    canon 5d, with canon 24-105L on board. click pic for exif.
    Interesting ... the EXIF data on the 2 shots says:
    58mm (guess: 104mm in 35mm) and
    105mm (guess: 189mm in 35mm)
    So whatever software is interpreting the EXIF data (on Andy's end or at Smugmug?) appears to not be "EOS 5D aware" yet and for some reason is guessing that it has a 1.8x crop factor! With the popularity of the 5D, I'm sure that glitch will get ironed out before long ... rolleyes1.gif
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    They seem expensive..
    andy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif it's probably the fifth body i've bought from them though.
    Judging by the price of 20D and 580EX.. headscratch.gif
    Congrats on the 5D, though!clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    photobug wrote:
    [/indent]So whatever software is interpreting the EXIF data (on Andy's end or at Smugmug?) appears to not be "EOS 5D aware" yet and for some reason is guessing that it has a 1.8x crop factor! With the popularity of the 5D, I'm sure that glitch will get ironed out before long ... rolleyes1.gif

yeh that's why i added the "105mm" part on the second shot

thanks!
    Impressions of 24-105?
    Andy -- do you have any subjective impressions of the results from the 24-105 lens to offer? Is it what you expected? Up to quality of other "L"s you've used? Etc?

(I'm just stepping up from a 28-135 IS (on a 20D) to the 24-105 as my first "L" (to ship in 2 weeks!), and am hoping that the difference will be obvious enough that I'll be glad I made the investment...)

one more, a little happier. canon 5d, 24-105L @ 58mm

38140523-L.jpg
    photobug wrote:
    Andy -- do you have any subjective impressions of the results from the 24-105 lens to offer? Is it what you expected? Up to quality of other "L"s you've used? Etc?

(I'm just stepping up from a 28-135 IS (on a 20D) to the 24-105 as my first "L" (to ship in 2 weeks!), and am hoping that the difference will be obvious enough that I'll be glad I made the investment...)

i will, for sure - i'm going to shoot with the lens for a few days before i make any comments though, ok? though i can say, it's quite serviceable.... i wouldn't normally choose this lens for these portraits, but it's fun to use!
    i will, for sure - i'm going to shoot with the lens for a few days before i make any comments though, ok? though i can say, it's quite serviceable....
    Fair 'nuf!

Have a great weekend, and thanks as always for all your generous sharing here at DGrin...

= Dave

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    When you've shot with it for a while, I'd be interested in your thoughts
    as compared to the 1dsmkii.

That first young lady pouts pretty well :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    one more, a little happier. canon 5d, 24-105L @ 58mm

38140523-L.jpg
    Great composition, Andy!
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    andy wrote:

38138329-S.jpg

This image is starting to show good dynamic range from this camera. Looks like quite a large range of brightness values yet the noise in the shadows is nonexistent.
  • Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Andy, I'm impressed !
    andy wrote:

38138329-L.jpg
    Hi Andy !

I love the looks of your 5D shots; very VERY nice color, great bokeh and nice dynamic range !
    I also noticed on other pics from the 5D that ISO 1600 has a very nice looking grain IMO .

Wel,
    If I were a rich man lalalalalala.........I would get me a 5D + 24-105L straight away, but as it is I'll settle for the R1 .

Probably not in the same league, but I sure am currious how that cam will behave .

Please do show some more 5D pics Andy .

Bye,

Peter Dumont
    edited October 1, 2005
    random observations
    i'm not a professional reviewer, the internet has many of those.
    • ergos - super easy, very much like the 20d
    • custom functions - loads, just like the 20d (didn't read them all)
    • burst speed of 3fps vs 5pfs on the 20d, 4fps on my 1Ds Mark II is very noticeable
    • ai servo focus - on par with the 20d, not as accurate/fast as the 1Ds Mark II (this is to be expected)
    • picture styles - i dig this feature, if canon exploits it, it'll be like photoshop actions - people will make their own styles, and share them etc
    • image quality - superior to the 20d, not as high as the 1Ds Mark II (also, to be expected). this is very subjective.
    • resolution of details - really really good, though i can see definite diffs vs. the 1Ds Mark II
    • white balance - settable to your heart's content for jpgs, and the auto wb is extremely good. shoot in raw and you rarely have to made adjustments
    • color accuracy - excellent
    • effect of aa filter - to my eye, it's not an issue
    • size, weight - fits in hand nicely, balances well, good solid feel. way lighter than the 1-series.
    • ovf - if you upgrade to this from a 1.6x body, you'll be floored. it's big, clear, and bright. the 1Ds Mark II is superior, but that's to be expected.
    • vignetting - some lenses will vig when wide open - to be expected and easily adjusted in adobe camera raw.
    • iso performance - the high isos look great - equal to, the high isos on the 20d, 1Ds Mark II, which are excellent. iso 1600 totally usable, the grain is nice. very film-like. 3200 also usable, with care and good post.
    • lcd - huge, bright, easy to read outdoors. it'll be a big plus for in-the-field chimping. menus are very easy to read.
    • sharpness - fuhgeddaboudit - very sharp - of course, this is always subject to the glass you use, lighting, and photographer technique...

so, my verdict? canon has come up with a winner - full frame goodness in a standard-sized body. great ergos, picture quality excellent. this camera would not disappoint imo.

i'm not giving up my 1Ds Mark II for the 5D, however. and that leaves the fate of the 5D in the balance for me - not sure if i'll keep it as a second body or if instead i'll go back to the 20d as a second body.
    edited October 1, 2005
    5d, 24-105L @ 80mm. click on pic for exif.
    i'm impressed with the lens, and the camera here, handles extreme backlit very well. this is jpg out of the camera.

38243760-L.jpg
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    5d, 24-105L @ 80mm. click on pic for exif.
    i'm impressed with the lens, and the camera here, handles extreme backlit very well. this is jpg out of the camera.
    Do you think that the jpg out of the camera is better because of the camera, lens , or settings? Could you duplicate these settings with another body (XT, 20D) or are they as a result of the better sensor and full frame effect?

I would pony up the additional money to eliminate the need for so much post processing. This was also one of your comments after the Canon show you went to in NYC - that the reps were making large format prints directly from camera w/o post processing. I hope the era of pp for simple work is about to be over!

Thanks for sharing! How long until the 5D is for sale?

ZZ
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Which of these are raw conversions and which are out-of-the-camera jpegs? I'm also testing a D5 and I'm forming the theory that ACR 3.2 isn't quite ready for prime time as far as this particular camera goes (it isn't advertised to be.)

My guess is that these are jpegs from the camera because you haven't framed them. Is that true? They look (and measure) better in terms of color balance that my raw conversions from yesterday (but the ball park at midday was pretty funky in terms of light.)

Again, the ball park at midday was a real torture test, but I'm wondering about the dynamic range of this camera compared to the 1D Mark II. Have to get out in the sweat light.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 2, 2005
    One positive observation, I experienced fine battery life yesterday. One battery was enough to fill three 4GB cards and when I got home the camera still showed the battery 100% charged.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 3, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Which of these are raw conversions and which are out-of-the-camera jpegs? I'm also testing a D5 and I'm forming the theory that ACR 3.2 isn't quite ready for prime time as far as this particular camera goes (it isn't advertised to be.)

My guess is that these are jpegs from the camera because you haven't framed them. Is that true? They look (and measure) better in terms of color balance that my raw conversions from yesterday (but the ball park at midday was pretty funky in terms of light.)

Again, the ball park at midday was a real torture test, but I'm wondering about the dynamic range of this camera compared to the 1D Mark II. Have to get out in the sweat light.

these were client jobs and also some personal shots - hence no borders, etc.

the "child portrait" in other thread is acr - in this thread, the girl looking thru the two trees is done in acr, as is the shot of my sun with the backlit sky.
    edited October 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    these were client jobs and also some personal shots - hence no borders, etc.

the "child portrait" in other thread is acr - in this thread, the girl looking thru the two trees is done in acr, as is the shot of my sun with the backlit sky.

Thanks, Andy. I'll tentatively chalk up my issues to funky ballpark light.
    If not now, when?