The Loop

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited April 10, 2011 in Street and Documentary
a few from Chicago

1241367267_aWzyS-L.jpg

1241367205_vZeWS-L.jpg

I like this one - not sure why

1241367318_BpZ7p-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Good set, Patti. For some reason, I like the first one. I see the picture and I just start to hear the blues. The blurring in the third one is kind of cool and without it, the picture would just be a guy crossing the street. Kinda cool, but the first one is my fav.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Patti! Good to see you posting again wings.gif.

While I like the entire set--#2 just really stands out for me. I can't really pinpoint why I'm so drawn to it.
    Do you remember your shot of the girl on the bus staring off into space--this reminds me of that. Love it.

I also like what you did with #3 with the blurr--Hard to imagine the figure made it across the street in one piece.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    The first is so delicate in sense from the lean years in Chicago. I dont know why but thats the feeling i get, luv it..
    can yopu post the settings please
    Looks like a Leica shot !!!
    Eddy
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I like #2 because it give the illusion that he's got his arm around the girl in front of him. :)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited April 7, 2011
    #1 for me. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Patti! Good to see you posting again wings.gif.

While I like the entire set--#2 just really stands out for me. I can't really pinpoint why I'm so drawn to it.
    Do you remember your shot of the girl on the bus staring off into space--this reminds me of that. Love it.

I also like what you did with #3 with the blurr--Hard to imagine the figure made it across the street in one piece.

Thanks Liz. It's been awhile. mwink.gif Yes, I remember that shot and I see why it reminds you of that.
    Eddy wrote: »
    The first is so delicate in sense from the lean years in Chicago. I dont know why but thats the feeling i get, luv it..
    can yopu post the settings please
    Looks like a Leica shot !!!
    Eddy

Laughing.gif I had the Leica out yesterday so funny you should say that. He was a very interesting gent. I have another shot but it was pretty blurry. Here are the settings: ISO 200, 70mm, 1/160sec, f/3.8. I then converted to B&W in LR3 and then adjusted levels/sharpened in CS5
    KerrBear wrote: »
    I like #2 because it give the illusion that he's got his arm around the girl in front of him. :)

That's what I saw as well and why a took the shot. It looks like he's protecting her.
    Richard wrote: »
    #1 for me. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I like #1 -- he is such an interesting person to look at (and to wonder what he is looking at). Can't tell what is in his right hand -- at first I thought it was a cigarette...
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    I like #1 -- he is such an interesting person to look at (and to wonder what he is looking at). Can't tell what is in his right hand -- at first I thought it was a cigarette...

It was a cigarette. When I first looked at him I thought he had 2 cigs. rolleyes1.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited April 8, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    It was a cigarette. When I first looked at him I thought he had 2 cigs. rolleyes1.gif
    So is that a toothpick in his mouth? I had assumed it was a cigarette. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    So is that a toothpick in his mouth? I had assumed it was a cigarette. headscratch.gif

Lollipop?
  • Options
    BrucheBruche Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Your B&W Photography is amazing! Do you have any tips for a beginner? I've gotten some advice from a few others, but I really enjoy looking at your images.

Bruce
  • Options
    Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    the man who is in the first photo made me laugh
    it is great photo
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    Bruche wrote: »
    Your B&W Photography is amazing! Do you have any tips for a beginner? I've gotten some advice from a few others, but I really enjoy looking at your images.

Bruce

Thank you for the lovely compliment. There are many in this forum who are better skilled to offer tips but here's what I generally do:

Import into LR3; increase contrast, add a bit of black if needed, import into CS5 and adjust levels a bit then run a high pass filter. If I've got blown highlights, I'll try burning those bits or dodge if the shadows need opening. All this is just by eye and my eye at that so take it with a LARGE grain of salt.
    the man who is in the first photo made me laugh
    it is great photo

He was having quite a chat with a man off camera. I could have shot him all day but friends were losing their tolerance of my stopping to shoot. mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    rdalland wrote: »
    Lollipop?

That's what it looked like to me.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    The first one is classic Chicago: crisp and clean with nice straight lines.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    The first one is classic Chicago: crisp and clean with nice straight lines.

Thanks Sara. It's such a great city for shooting. It's hard to miss.

patti hinton photography