Options

Mission Peak - First HDR Attempt

PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited March 16, 2011 in Landscapes
So this is my first attempt at HDR. I used Nik's HDR Efex Pro (demo) and tweaked one of their landscape presets. What do you think? Overdone? Too much this? Too little that? C&C appreciated. Thanks!

1214942414_tcoKw-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,455 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    I always cringe when I open up a 'HDR thread' because most that I see are way over-done. This is refreshing, I think you did a great job!
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    You can barely tell, I like it! GJ!
  • Options
    bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    I usually hate HDR's with a passion but this one is really well done. I don't see any bad haloing or fringing and the colors appear natural. Great job!

By the way, that's an incredible view!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    It's a nice conversion. Realistic rendering while bringing out the details. One of the problems with HDR conversion is that it tends to bring lots of contrast to the whole picture so you lose emphasis on the subject or where you want the viewers eye to start. I wonder if darkening the foreground rocks slightly would give you a little more interest in the front of the picture. Help distinguish the rocks from the grass.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I'm really not one for those tonemapped HDR photos, but I do like them when they look realistic.

I have a confession to make... In my haste to post it I forgot to mention that the shots were also taken using a 3-stop soft-edge ND filter. While it certainly helped, it still wasn't enough to cut down the sky, so I bracketed 5 shots each a stop apart. By starting off this way, I think the HDR software didn't have to work as hard, but what do I know. :D

hawkeye, I took your advice and dropped the exposure on the foreground rocks down -2/3 EV. I think it looks better...

1215206165_UraxD-XL.jpg
  • Options
    TUeltzenTUeltzen Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    The second one is right on! It looks great.
    Tim
    Washington, Missouri

www.PetPhotoKeepSake.com
  • Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    That's very nice. The HDR samples I see here or elsewhere tend to be hit and miss, with the best being really spectacular and natural looking, with the less successful ones looking unnatural. Yours is definitely a success. I have noticed that the more successful HDR examples I have seen like yours have generally been sunrises or sunsets, where the foreground otherwise would have been blacked out completely.
  • Options
    wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Very nice...i too dont like the overprocessed HDR look...this looks great...
  • Options
    cb4photocb4photo Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I would be interested in seeing the exposure dropped down a bit more on the foreground. Maybe just in the corners to frame the image a little more.

Great shot, and processing. thumb.gif
    PilotBrad wrote: »

hawkeye, I took your advice and dropped the exposure on the foreground rocks down -2/3 EV. I think it looks better...
  • Options
    crustycrusty Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Very nice shot! The moss colors on the rocks are a great. Definitely a stunning vista, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Great job Brad. I really think that going above the standard 3 shot bracket makes a huge difference in HDR.
    Keep em coming thumb.gif
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    This looks great! thumb.gif
  • Options
    wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Nice processing with the HDR, it can enhance an image in so many ways.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    very nicely done for a first effort! the foreground is a bit brighter than looks natural, but the HDR isn't "overcooked" like so many i see. it does take practice to get it right, but you're off to a very good start!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2011
    Thanks everyone!!! Now I just have to clone out some of the cow-pies and I'll be all set. :D