Options

Mini-Shootout: Carrizo Plain National Monument, CA

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited April 4, 2011 in Landscapes
I'm thinking of heading up to the Carrizo Plain to shoot the wildflowers on March 26 or April 2.

822015391_gh7wv-M.jpg

This will be a casual day trip. We'd meet at the Monument entrance and then loosely explore the area. No itinerary, no commitment, just a chance to shoot together.

I've only been the one time, last year, and I want to go back and see some more of it.

822024617_FKobW-M.jpg

If you're interested, let me know in this thread and we can work out the details together. :thumb

UPDATE: We'll be meeting on 4/2 at the southeast entrance to the park. Just inside the park is one of those large park billboard things. We'll meet there at 5:30am, wheels up and on our way by 5:45am. Note that the driving directions on the Monument's site are for the Goodwin Education Center, which is at the opposite end of the park.

20110318-nahd27tt853u2wmnh5as2h1w34.png

<iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=CA-33+S&amp;daddr=CA-166+W/CA-33+S/West+Side+Hwy&amp;geocode=FUreFgIdRvjh-A;FR5_FQIdomXh-A&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrsp=0&amp;sz=10&amp;sll=34.623038,-119.150848&amp;sspn=1.234048,1.772919&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.961231,-119.440956&amp;spn=0.042205,0.051498&amp;z=13&amp;output=embed&quot;&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;&lt;br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=CA-33+S&amp;daddr=CA-166+W/CA-33+S/West+Side+Hwy&amp;geocode=FUreFgIdRvjh-A;FR5_FQIdomXh-A&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrsp=0&amp;sz=10&amp;sll=34.623038,-119.150848&amp;sspn=1.234048,1.772919&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.961231,-119.440956&amp;spn=0.042205,0.051498&amp;z=13&quot; style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 16, 2011
    This is an excellent idea! With all the rain, this should be a spectacular bloom this year!

I'm going to add it to the schedule.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    March 26 th would be great. I have a shoot the next morning, so depending on meet time I would be in for that day. The 2nd I have to shoot Ironman down in Oceanside. Do you know what the meet time might be?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2011
    slflash wrote: »
    Do you know what the meet time might be?

That's open to discussion. I'm also thinking about deciding on a FMRS channel for this, so even if you showed up after others you could find us. Cell coverage is spotty or non-existent out there.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 17, 2011
    david: approx 3 hour drive from LA?

(what's FMRS?)

• Options
    edited February 17, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »
    (what's FMRS?)

Family Radio Service -- walkie talkie
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 17, 2011
    March 26 works for me as well. The following weekend is the Overland Expo in Amado, NM. Sounds great otherwise, David. I've always wanted to see the poppies. thumb.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    David,

My wife and I have been wanting to see the poppies but something always comes up. March 26th works so count me in. I guess you'll post details of meeting place and time.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Hope to make it too! just need to confirm with the wife as I will have been out on assignment for a month and having missed Valentines Day I need to make up lost time.....
    But this year ought to be AWESOME!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    I am interested but will have to see if it works into the schedule as it gets closer. It has been quite awhile since I have been to that area. Used to work up on McKittrick Summit a lot back in the day. Should be a good year for wildflowers. Table Mountian up here in Northern California should be good too. It seems to peak march thru april
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Hmmm, never been there and close enough that it might be a possibility. I'll pencil it in and see if I can make it stick.
    Chris
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    So are we doing this?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2011
    So are we doing this?
    Yah, for sure. But it's in March, right? Marc and I are working on the details, and he's on assignment this week. I expect that late next week we'll have some more information and will have narrowed in on which date.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Yah, for sure. But it's in March, right? Marc and I are working on the details, and he's on assignment this week. I expect that late next week we'll have some more information and will have narrowed in on which date.

I'm very impatient!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    so... any news on how the flowers are shaping up this year?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    so... any news on how the flowers are shaping up this year?

Yes. From here.

March 1 2011 Carrizo Plain National Monument reports: Due to cool / cold weather the wildflowers have gone into hibernation. The morning of February 26 over two inches of snow fell in the Monument. A few Goldfields, Hillside Daisies and Fiddleneck are beginning to show up at the south end and east side of the monument. The Hillside Daisies are noticeable but do not occur in large quantities. Because of recent the warm weather, the flowers are two to three weeks ahead of schedule. However, the weather forecast for the next 10 days is colder, ranging from the mid-50s during the days to twenties and thirties at night.

ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Trying to do some research on this and found this: http://www.theodorepayne.org/hotline.html

According to the site, they will record the first update on March 5th and have a new every weekend through April. I will call this Sat and post what they say. I don't know but what I've read so far is making it sound like this could be a very good year.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Trying to do some research on this and found this: http://www.theodorepayne.org/hotline.html

According to the site, they will record the first update on March 5th and have a new every weekend through April. I will call this Sat and post what they say. I don't know but what I've read so far is making it sound like this could be a very good year.

Yah, I've been waiting for that site to start posting updates. Wildflower season really gets me going. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    It will be a great year!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    I'm thinking that due to the snow in the area that the later date is going to be better. So for now, let's concentrate on April 2. We should know more after the reports for the area come out next weekend, when we can get a handle on how it's progressing.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    I'm thinking that due to the snow in the area that the later date is going to be better. So for now, let's concentrate on April 2. We should know more after the reports for the area come out next weekend, when we can get a handle on how it's progressing.

I'm good with either date.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    I'm good with either date.

Sadly, I'm not.
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Whom ever is the lead for this should arrange a guided tour to painted rock. If you're in the area anyway its worth seeing painted rock. BLM Site

-Philip Hutson
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    Whom ever is the lead for this should arrange a guided tour to painted rock. If you're in the area anyway its worth seeing painted rock. BLM Site

-Philip Hutson
    If there's interest in it, I'll arrange that, if I can. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    Hard to say what the snow and water will do. Sometimes, it just intensifies the bloom. Other times, it does delay things.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Sadly, I'm not.

You want to lead one on the 26th? We could do both dates. It only takes 2 to make a Dgrin meetup!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    It only takes 2 to make a Dgrin meetup!

And to Tango!
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    You want to lead one on the 26th? We could do both dates. It only takes 2 to make a Dgrin meetup!
    Hmm, I don't know about leading one, as I've never been there. But I'd sure be glad to hook up with any other folks who want to go that day. Any takers?
    Andy wrote: »
    And to Tango!
    And to do a few other things too, but I think we'll just stick to photography for a first date. :D
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't know about leading one, as I've never been there.

Well, I've only been there the once and I'm far from any kind of an expert on it. I just drove around, in an aimless sort of way. :D

How about instead of calling it "leading" we call it "coordinating"?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    How about instead of calling it "leading" we call it "coordinating"?
    Sure, I'll coordinate. If anybody reading is interested, speak up, and we'll figure it out.

-joel
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    So is it a sure thing that we're going on the 2nd? I thought it was dependent on how the blooms are doing?

My Smug Site