Tripod, shake reduction question.

oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Technique
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to DSLRs. I just purchased a new Pentax K-X and noticed in a couple of places in the manual it mentions to be sure to turn OFF the shake reduction when using a tripod. It even prefaces it in one instance with a "Warning".

Why? Is this a common technique? This seems counter intuitive.....wouldn't one want as much shake reduction as available? What would be the negatives in leaving ON shake reduction while on a tripod?

Please help me shed some light on this.

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    I'm a complete beginner when it comes to DSLRs. I just purchased a new Pentax K-X and noticed in a couple of places in the manual it mentions to be sure to turn OFF the shake reduction when using a tripod. It even prefaces it in one instance with a "Warning".

Why? Is this a common technique? This seems counter intuitive.....wouldn't one want as much shake reduction as available? What would be the negatives in leaving ON shake reduction while on a tripod?

Please help me shed some light on this.

This is often discussed, but people come down on both sides of the question. The theory is that the auto-focus will look for a shake and try to stabilize it, so the image will not be as sharp because the auto focus is searching. However, most "experts" seem to feel that the only time you need to turn the VR off is when using a tripod and a remote release with a long lens. But, then, other experts say there's nothing to it.

Tripods are not as stable as you might think if there's some wind. Personally, I leave the VR on, but then my longest lens is a 200mm. I do use a remote release because to minimize shake if the subject is static.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    with my Konica Minolta 7D's (in body stabilization ) and my Nikon D300's (vr in lens) it is very evident if I don't turn off the stabilization......if the body is extremely stable then the stabilization units actually create vibration for it to try to stabilize, causing shake in the image.......I know it sound absolutely wrong...but that is why the cam makers tell you to shut off the stabilization if using a tripod......I ran several experiments when I 1st got my KM 7D's and 24-70 lens......and boy was I surprised at how much shake the camera could actually fabricate on its own.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Very interesting. It makes sense I guess....the camera is "moving" around trying to manage shake that isn't there. On my Pentax I've noticed that if I set my drive mode to the 2 second timer it automatically turns the SR off.

I guess the question could be asked is how good does ones tripod have to be to where it's actually a benefit to turn off the SR? If I have a lower end tripod that has a little wiggle in it's legs, might I still benefit from SR?

I think a little testing for my set-up may be in order.

Thanks guys, good info, keep it coming.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Do you have a remote release? If not, holding the camera will introduce shake, so the stabilization will help in most cases.
    If you are running with a remote release, then try out a little experiment. Focus on something stable, like a tree, hit a few frames w/ and w/o.
    I'd suggest looking at the images in RAW so you don't have things like the in-camera sharpening on the jpeg to contend with.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Seriously, do not engage any anti shake feature while on a tripod.

It will only degrade the photo. I have run a few tests on this and if you are using a fast shutter speed the negative effects will not be as noticeable as say 3 seconds, but it will still be there, and in many cases your using a tripod so you can use slower shutter speeds.

Sam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 20, 2011
    Some of the newer IS lenses will detect a stable platform on a tripod and turn themselves off, but most of the older versions do not.

Do you trust yourself to remember which is which?

Just turn VR/IS off when using a tripod, with or without a cable release.

I am with Sam on this issue!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 20, 2011
    I did a few non-scientific tests today but couldn't tell a huge difference.....a difference, but I had to really look for it. I took JPEGS so this may have masked any issues. Granted it was at lunchtime with bright sunlight.

I think I will get in the habit of using my 2 second timer when using a tripod regardless. On my camera turning this timer on turns off shake reduction. It also induces mirror lockup I believe.

I was a bit nervous after reading quite a few stories of people having issues with blurry images from the K-X, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with my particular camera.

Thanks for all the info so far folks, much appreciated.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Here's a good example of why to turn off image stabilization when using a tripod.

923703515_NCJxo-L.jpg

Notice all the consistent squiggly lines? I was using a 200mm lens and the IS introduced the oscillation. Lesson leaned for me. :D

I already knew this beforehand but just forgot to turn IS off for this series.

The full gallery can viewed here if you want to see the entire set of squiggles. rolleyes1.gif

http://bgarland.smugmug.com/Holidays/4th-Of-July-2010/12810474_7Ukvy
    edited January 24, 2011
    bgarland. That's interesting. Really noticeable how much movement is going on. Were these with a fast shutter speed?
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    All shot off a tripod with a remote release. The exposures were mostly about 4 seconds. I was told in another thread that is was probably due to a feedback osculation loop caused by the IS system in the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS USM lens I was using.

I tend to agree since the movement appears to be a consistent frequency across many of the images. I did verify the next day that I in fact did leave the IS switched on when I knew it should have been off for this type of shooting.

The night shots of fireworks really bring out the movement. I can imagine that if shot during the day with faster shutter speeds it may end up just softening the images with minor motion blur.

923706672_c28Er-L.jpg
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 27, 2011
    bgarland wrote: »
    ... I was told in another thread that is was probably due to a feedback osculation loop caused by the IS system in the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS USM lens I was using.

Yep.

IS/VR/SR are systems designed to reduce the shake induced by human holding and they are tuned to specific frequencies of shake/vibration. They are not designed to understand the shake that might be encountered while the camera is used on a tripod.

As previously mentioned, some newer stabilized lenses will attempt to sense when the system is mounted on a tripod and they are supposed to automatically shut off. I do not trust those systems myself and I recommend turning off the stabilization during tripod use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums