Options

E-Shoot in the Snow (Lots of Photos)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited January 8, 2011 in Weddings
Earlier this year, I learned one of my dearest cousins—who's the closest thing I've got to a kid brother—was engaged. In the spring, I offered to take some engagement photos for them since I knew their budget was tight (and I'd always been curious to try an e-shoot). They touched base in summer to set something up.

Milwaukee in late summer or early fall? Perfect, I thought.

Except those seasons flew by, and I didn't hear from my cousin until October. When they asked for me to fly up...in December. :huh

1. The welcome waiting for me when I arrived (complete with our location schedule and sunrise/sunset times :D).
1136000707_P2VXC-L.jpg

The only consolation I had was my camera gear hated the cold much more than I did.

That, and the complete goofiness that ensues whenever my cousin and I get together.

Of course, that meant we had lots of this...

1135799521_HAsnD-L.jpg

And this...

3. (They plan to Photoshop numbers on the chalkboard shots and use the prints as table markers.)
1135852835_sfwLx-L.jpg

And this...

1135786353_RaAZr-L.jpg

Which thankfully led to lots of this...

1135777411_NKwar-L.jpg

Big thanks to Ross (ARKreations) for putting up with it all! We had a very long day in very cold weather, and I simply could not have done it without him. :bow

Every so often, the silliness did settle down.

1130253359_ThH5z-L.jpg

1135713069_jonQo-L.jpg

1130255235_G4L5L-L.jpg

1135725769_NZDpS-L.jpg

1135738455_PZvLY-L.jpg

1135749591_ZsPTp-L.jpg

1135811034_oqHF7-L.jpg

1135829950_drg8P-L.jpg

1135833605_ddE9a-L.jpg

1135836447_ZQCyq-L.jpg

1135844243_9GzGm-L.jpg

1135863695_QM7MH-L.jpg

1140725894_VTj8V-L.jpg

1135888771_MeGnH-L.jpg

1136114534_q6twJ-L.jpg

1136095183_uDRhr-L.jpg

My cousin's fiancee said she wanted photos in the snow. On Sunday, she got her wish. She got an entire blizzard, in fact. :twitch

1140727824_Q2QHD-L.jpg

1135957487_3sDEL-L.jpg

1135973548_fwAx6-L.jpg

Thankfully, the house was warm and cozy at the end of the day.

1135996458_igscp-L.jpg

Special thanks again to Ross for being such an awesome assistant! :clap

Thanks for stopping by. :thumb

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I have been WAIING for these!!!!

More later as just out door but clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif in the meantime :D
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I'm loving these Kerry! So much love and emotion between them :)
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    OMG! - Kerry, those are awesome/incredible/amazing.
    They've got to be thrilled, and you should be quite proud of these.

#2 - this is just a hint of the antics that went on a-l-l d-a-y l-o-n-g, but it was a total blast. A really great couple those two are.
    #3 - I'm tellin' ya' - this needs to read "Nuts and Berries!"
    #4 - this really turned out nice, the construction barrels really capture downtown Milwaukee!
    #8 - great job of framing and capturing the motion - it looks like they are moving about 10x as fast as they really were.
    #21 - wow - the color and composition here are outstanding. Love the contrast of her jacket and the snow.
    #22 - I had to look really close to see the heart and angels. Great idea, I think it just needs a bit more definition in the snow.
    #23 - Sunday's snow really did that shot justice!

However, my favorites are #13, #15, #17,

You and your camera held up very well in the cold. (To be honest, I was expecting much worse from mother nature.) Diva was right when she said it was worth it to spend the day shooting with you. Even without firing a single shot, I gained a ton of knowledge just watching and pointing the light. I can't wait to find my own guinea pigs to play with. (I'm working on my daughter and I think I've found a niche' - I've got to let her shoot me too!)

My offer still stands if they want to TTD - I'd love to work with you again!
    Ross
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Can't help but crack up with these! They look like such a fun and hilarious couple! Nice!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    that's what an e-seesion should be. f*cking great.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    I have been WAITING for these!!!!

Sorry for the delay! Went home for Christmas (and ended up shooting senior photos for a different cousin while there :wow) and am just returning to the Internet. :D
    I'm loving these Kerry! So much love and emotion between them :)

Thank you, Patrick! They have a great story, actually. Their mothers were best friends in high school (still are to this day), and these two grew up together on the same street. Went their separate ways, met again years later. And they have fantastic photos of them together as children (including one with him looking at the camera and her looking at him somewhat adoringly--the most adorable prelude to what they are to each other today!).
    OMG! - Kerry, those are awesome/incredible/amazing.

Thanks, Ross! Couldn't have done it without you. The light made such a difference (when it wasn't throwing a tantrum because of the cold) and your speed and knowledge were such a boon. I haven't quite talked them in to a TTD session yet, but if I do, I'll certainly let you know! mwink.gif
    Can't help but crack up with these! They look like such a fun and hilarious couple! Nice

Hee, thank you! They're a hoot, alright. The wedding will be interesting to say the least! (I've been told the groom and groomsmen will all be wearing green chucks...)
    Qarik wrote:
    that's what an e-seesion should be. f*cking great.

I'm delighted you think so! I confess I was quite terrified since I'm new to this genre. I think the fact my cousin and I are so close and silly made all the difference. The real challenge is figuring out how all you masters bring out these emotions with strangers! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I looovie these! He looks like total fun!

I am intrigued by 17.... it looks like a tree with all the branches the same distance from the couple? Or maybe is it ivy on a wall or something?

Absolutely love the last one... So classic.

I suspect that you will find yourself doing more and more of these types of shoots... they are so good!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I looovie these! He looks like total fun!

I am intrigued by 17.... it looks like a tree with all the branches the same distance from the couple? Or maybe is it ivy on a wall or something?

Absolutely love the last one... So classic.

I suspect that you will find yourself doing more and more of these types of shoots... they are so good!

Yeah Heather, it's a 2 dimensional tree..you don't see those outside of the lower 48 so I understand.mwink.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Haha, yeah, we don't have ivy. But we don't have snakes either... (Got ya there, didn't I!:curtsey) :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Ok, back now.

Kerry, I can't believe you were worried you didn't get enough good stuff - these are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. (As usual. So no surprise there... :D )

I especially love 8, 13, 15, 18 and 21, but the whole set just bursts with the energy and fun you guys obviously had - they must be thrilllleed with them, and rightly so. I'm so glad it went well despite the crazy weather!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010

Hee, yes, it's ivy.

1135873079_GqPeq-M.jpg

We walked past the marvelous wall on our way to another location, so it was a happy discovery!
    divamum wrote:
    ...the whole set just bursts with the energy and fun you guys obviously had - they must be thrilllleed with them, and rightly so.

Aw, thanks, diva. iloveyou.gif My cousin is notorious for not responding to e-mail. When I sent him and his fiancee a sneak preview of seven images, he actually wrote back to say he couldn't pick a favorite from those seven, so he had no idea how he'd choose from the whole set. I was floored (as was the family) that he'd actually written an e-mail back! So I assume they're happy. lol3.gif
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Really nice set! Lots of faves in there!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Fantastic! This is what an engagement session should be!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Oh my gosh, how cute! I seriously love them all, very fun, creative, fun and ... more fun :D

An adorable couple and you sure captured their personalities! Truly WONDERFUL! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    You captured so much of their character, beautiful set.
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Beautiful set.. You can really see they had alot of funning have the shoot.
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    You have some true gems in this set. Very well done.

5,6,7,8,12,13,17,18,22,23,24...are all fabulous in my opinion.clap.gif

Of those... 8, 12, and especially 23 really take the cake.
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Wow, truly a great set. Looks like with all of those venues it must have been a very long day. You really managed to capture the essence of their commitment. Were you triggering a remote flash on #21

Now... I hope I don't offend but I have a question. I am the worst with this, but I would like to know what you all feel about guiding people with their wardrobe choices. My only comment is in a few of the photos, his beanie is distracting to me. It's pronounced pattern draws me to it immediately.

In any case, this set is inspiring.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    Wow, thank you for all the kind words! iloveyou.gif

FJC, it was a very long day on Saturday, and I shot more the next day, too. I was using a flash in a softbox most of the time, including #21. It started to rain at that bridge (our last location of the day), and by then my flash had had it. It gave up shortly after that shot. lol3.gif

I have a document with wardrobe guidelines I send out ahead of time so people can plan accordingly. The beanie, in this case, was when his head got too cold to leave it off! His alternate hat...was a panda hat. :D

1135774733_aN5cQ-S.jpg
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Totally enjoyed all of these!
    Jaye
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    If only ever couple could be as awesome and fun as these appeared to be for you! And you have the most amazing variety of scenery you got to use!! Love it!!