Options

Street Shots; Chicago

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited December 16, 2010 in Street and Documentary
These are a first attempt at Street Shots. They were taken with my new Nikon Coolpix P7000 and are SOOC. Any C&C is welcome.

1114816198_bpgAq-L.jpg

1114820228_9eZx5-L.jpg

1114823783_Lj7yw-L.jpg

1114827781_VPTcn-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 6, 2010
    #2 reminds me of why I left Chicago--been there done that. Man, those winters were nasty mwink.gif.

I think #2 and #4 are the best, but would benefit from some PP to boost the contrast. To me, both #1 and #3 lack a clear subject or focal point, though there is some nice architectural detail in #3.

HTH.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    For first attempts these are definitely promising. I'd suggest thinking about why you are shooting in the street, and what you are looking to capture. Then I'd suggest developing an awareness of everything that's in the frame, how all those elements interact - or don't - and...get closer. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Gads that looks a bit chilly there.

I like #4 for the fresh snowfall and solitude other than the two folks walking. Maybe crop a tad bit of the right bench? off and boost the contrast or clarity to make the empty branches stand out.
  • Options
    dave.turleydave.turley Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Hi,
    I looked at these a few days ago and didn't comment. Today I was having a conversation with a photgrapher friend of mine and I remembered that first photgraph in your series. That hooded woman stuck in my mind for some reason and I was trying to explain to him what a great shot it was. She's like a ghost. What springs to mind for me is the phrase in that film, "I see dead people."
    Maybe I'm a little ghoulish myself, but I came online tonight, found your series and had to comment. On second look, I think I might've cropped a little closer to her, but that isolated figure in the crowd works so well for me. Great shot
    Regards
    Dave
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    First one is the one that grabs me because of the woman in the lower right. Consider a square crop, losing the right edge and see if you like the resulting placement of her in the shot.