Options

SmugMug Needs Your Help!

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 17, 2013 in SmugMug Support
SmugMug fans, we need your help to make our Heroic Service and the SmugMug community even better! Please click 'Commit!' here and don't forget to click the link in the email they send you after you hit 'Commit!' Thanks!

20101203-8idupdacfyi7f6bkr5f3fhb7y9.jpg

This isn't going to replace Dgrin, we love the healthy discussions and community here at Dgrin.

But we do have a problem, particularly for new SmugMug customers, with finding good answers to tough questions. Currently, they have to wade through pages of threads, and often pages of posts on a given thread, to find a decent answer to a question. Message forums are great for discussion - but they're not great for providing a definitive answer to a tough question.

StackExchange solves this problem for us - the best answer will always be highest, and there's plenty of discussion around the question and the answer to clarify both. Further, the reputation system allows people to know they're getting a great answer from someone with a history of great answers - whether it be a SmugMug employee, long-time SmugMug customer, or a resident CSS or JavaScript wizard.

But to get StackExchange off the ground, we need to show them that SmugMug (and Dgrin) have a strong, vibrant community that will actually use the service. That's why we need you to go show your commitment to the project so we can be moved into the Beta phase and get this puppy humming.

There are some other great aspects of StackExchange, too, not the least of which is a sister site for Photography: http://photo.stackexchange.com/ We're pretty sure Dgrinners and SmugMuggers will like that, too. :)

We think Dgrin and StackExchange will work very well together and expect the combination to be incredibly helpful and fun.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Is this something that would replace Dgrin and/or UserVoice?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    Is this something that would replace Dgrin and/or UserVoice?
    Andy wrote:

We think Dgrin and StackExchange will work very well together and expect the combination to be incredibly helpful and fun.

No, rather to complement and enhance things :D
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010
    temp
    I don't think this will work for customizing sites. It takes a series of questions
    and answers, piece by piece, to get to the final goal. Rarely have I even seen
    a complete answer in one post. One of the worst things a poster does is ask
    many questions in their initial post. It's much easier to get to their final goal
    one step at a time.

The new site sounds like it would be a FAQ type site which is fine for
    answering single items.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010

answering single items.

nod.gif Yup
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    No, rather to complement and enhance things :D
    Gezz .... I'll never get to bed. :D
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    I don't think this will work for customizing sites. It takes a series of questions
    and answers, piece by piece, to get to the final goal. Rarely have I even seen
    a complete answer in one post. One of the worst things a poster does is ask
    many questions in their initial post. It's much easier to get to their final goal
    one step at a time.

answering single items.

Yep, certainly not a replacement for detailed and varied items like customization.

But a great resource for answering a single question.
  • Options
    John HayesJohn Hayes Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010

But we do have a problem, particularly for new SmugMug customers, with finding good answers to tough questions. Currently, they have to wade through pages of threads, and often pages of posts on a given thread, to find a decent answer to a question.

One way to help the clutter is to allow users to delete a thread they made that was a mistake and it doesn't add anything to the community. For some odd reason that isn't allowed here. rolleyes1.gif
    *Site under construction*
    My Site

• Options
    edited December 6, 2010
    John Hayes wrote: »
    One way to help the clutter is to allow users to delete a thread they made that was a mistake and it doesn't add anything to the community. For some odd reason that isn't allowed here. rolleyes1.gif

We don't allow it but our moderators happily do it anytime, if you just request so, in the 'request to moderators thread' in Dgrin Forum Support :D
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    I have many reservations with this.
    I have about five or six links to various smug sites, ex status, user voice, dgrin, smug store, etc... the last thing I personally want is another link requiring another username and password. This is the reason I don't use the user voice, I don't remember my password and it seems like everything I want is listed and has been for quite some time. It seems like the user voice is just there to make people feel like they are being listened to....
    The search function here at DGRIN is wonderful to wade through information, I use it daily.
    Just my two cents...

I would suggest smugmug make a uniform link page in the control panel for all smug associated sites but I won't hold my breathe waiting!
    Amen. I have so many sites I already have to check. Having 3 Smug-associated ones is already too many. Each site we add has fewer followers than the last. They should already have the same sign-ins and don't... it's nuts. I have a UserVoice request to at least have a one-click from our Smug sites to both DGrin & UserVoice, but I can see it'll be ages til this happens, if ever. Before UserVoice, I was given the answer that I should just bookmark it instead. Well, that does not solve the multiple sign-ins! Most people already don't even know about UserVoice, so why would they want/need to know about yet one more spot?

Here's my other two cents: for the obvious questions that keep getting asked (such as "how do I get rid of the black box around my slideshow?"), and only have one good answer anyhow, simply put it in the FAQs on the Smug site, and keep all the info on the Smug site updated & consolidated much more frequently than it is now (i.e. every single time there is a change-- any change). I just saw this with keyword info-- it's simply not updated on the site, and therefore that's the only reason someone needs to even go off-site to find an answer. That's just silly & time-wasting for everyone. There are already too many places to go for info, so that even us old-timers around here get lost & don't know which spot is best. So I say, please stop inventing other solutions, other places. Just fix up & keep up the first one-- Smug itself!! Keep that info. thorough, sharp, consolidated & updated & we won't need to go elsewhere, or create big long threads here so much!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I have many reservations with this.
    I have about five or six links to various smug sites, ex status, user voice, dgrin, smug store, etc... the last thing I personally want is another link requiring another username and password. This is the reason I don't use the user voice, I don't remember my password and it seems like everything I want is listed and has been for quite some time.

We're working on that. In fact we have a solution for uservoice that's working on the backend, but we've not had time to wrap it up and make it pretty. Once you're logged into SmugMug, hit this url and we'll send you over to uservoice with a login bound to your SmugMug account. I'm sure we'll do something similar for Stack Exchange since they support a couple different forms of single signon as well.

Single Sign On FTW.
    It seems like the user voice is just there to make people feel like they are being listened to.

I think that's a pretty unfair generalization to make. There are several ideas that have come from uservoice, not to mention a few others that are in flight and I can't talk about. We really DO listen to users, we just have to balance a billion different inputs and our resources.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010

not being told what is being worked on... why the secrecy??? because of competition???...NEWS FLASH... the competition already has many of the features being worked on!!!

Out of the hundreds of feature requests listed in the user voice, only two are marked as started...yes I said 2 !!!
    (to be fair 149 completed and 20 planned)

I would not call my statement an unfair generalization !!!:bash

We read and digest the many requests on uservoice every single day. It's hugely important to us. And so is the input we get from Dgrin, Facebook, and our help desk.

Thanks for your passionate post, don't ever hold back, it's really important.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Committed as I've had to work on a system like this for the LG national call center when I worked for them.

But oddly enough, at LG we had the same problem--common issues without a quick way for the user to get to them. So we would be getting calls for these issues.

There is (was?) an internal vbulletin-based forum for LG Electronics Alabama, Inc. (LGEAI). I set it up. It was my initial experience with vbulletin. It started out as being a great resource for communication, like dgrin here. But somewhere along the way, the massive amount of data just becomes a massive amount of data. The task of data mining started to fall upon the users, just as it has here on dgrin. And vbulletin's meager search feature has never been the best at helping with finding something particular.

And that's where someone had to step in and organize the data--me. I would copy the relevant threads with the problem/solution posts to a new category with a link to the original discussions if further research was required. It was a bit tedious, but not bad. Plus, the category was searchable so that users could find solutions on their own. A lot of the solutions started to become posts to these new threads. On a regular basis, this wasn't too hard to keep up with because a company doesn't really have that many new issues on a daily basis with their products.

But the downside is that it is yet another system to watch to stay on top of SM. All of these piecemeal solutions shouldn't be apparent to us, the customer. We should just have another tab in our control panel for help tickets we've submitted, a link to FAQs that have forum-like subscriptions, as well as what's new in suggested features, API updates, and whatever else that's out there that notifies us individually.

I get emails from the blogs so I can stay updated, ones from dgrin so I can stay updated, nothing from the status, so I have to come here and then go there, and nothing from uservoice to let me know what the status of FTP uploading is (had to plug it :D). It would be nice to see this all somehow within SM itself.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Don't need more sites, just better trails to & through this one
    cabbey wrote: »
    We're working on that. In fact we have a solution for uservoice that's working on the backend, but we've not had time to wrap it up and make it pretty. Once you're logged into SmugMug, hit this url and we'll send you over to uservoice with a login bound to your SmugMug account. I'm sure we'll do something similar for Stack Exchange .... We really DO listen to users, we just have to balance a billion different inputs and our resources.
    You know, after thinking about this some more, I realize it's not just the hassle & problem of logging into several sites and/or having to follow threads and help sections on several different sites that bugs me, even though that does bug me a lot. The other big issue, and where you really lose people is the whole hurdle of learning another site's functioning details. I absolutely HATE that part & resist it like the dickens. I'm simply not cut out to be website-savvy like some people. I mean, I miss stuff all over the place. Here's an example: Here on DGrin I never could keep track of different threads I'd read or commented in, and therefore often missed answers to my questions, etc. I finally after being here a couple yrs. or so, found the handy little "you" button. Maybe something like that seems intuitive to some of you who are on different sites hours a day. But there's still plenty of stuff I haven't noticed on these huge forums, and parts of it I've not learned how to use or whatever. And yet, even with all that, I can still say confidently that I'm much more tuned into all the stuff I can learn here about SmugMug than a lot of Smuggers. I know that gazillions of them haven't even discovered DGrin yet or have a clue how much they can learn here.

I don't think you Smug gurus realize how long it takes a lot of SMuggers to even find DGrin. I've never understood whether DGrin is purposely buried deep within SmugMug or what... if so, I don't see why. If not, I don't see why! Even if I'm on my own homepage, I've gotta click on my Control Panel first, then "Contact". Then if I've noticed the scroll bar, I scroll down to DGrin & click that. Then click again on Digital Grin. Now, after 5 steps I'm finally on DGrin!!! Yikes! If you actually want people to find it, that's ridiculous-- and I've said this for yrs. Yes, I finally have it bookmarked now (once I finally found out what bookmarking was & how to do it). But why, as owner of a Smug site, should it really take people all those steps to find this, your major help forums? So the thought of your adding yet another external site where we've gotta go to get the basic stuff, even if it's not as deeply buried as DGrin, just seems like nonsense to me.

I just don't think we need another site to decipher, more etiquette & workings to figure out, more layers to go through, another site to check on a daily/weekly basis, more people trailing off in frustration & disinterest, & more confused people. It would be better to just have a person who does something like what Samir describes, right here, and/or have some spot here for the very basics, & make the "You" button much clearer (as far as what it is!) & have an obvious DGrin button on all of our pages when logged in. For the basics section, you could keep it pared down by having someone move irrelevant threads or un-helpful answers to another spot.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2010
    You know, after thinking about this some more, you could keep it pared down by having someone move irrelevant threads or un-helpful answers to another spot.

I think you missed the part about how we're gonna try and make all this easier, Anna Lisa, not harder :D Promise.

Change is never easy but we hope you know we do this sort of stuff with the idea that we can improve things.

All the best,

Andy
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    I am getting tired of the "promises" or "we're working on it", just let me know when everything is easy and functioning properly!

Hi Shawn, what's not working right for you? Here to help, if you can give specifics, thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    I am really getting fed up.

I left Pbase for similar reasons (poor functioning features)... and had heard great things about Smugmug.
    I am beginning to think I should look into other image hosts.
    That's definitely not how it's supposed to work. headscratch.gif Have you tried it right after rebooting, and before anything else? Do you have another computer you can try it on? I get different experiences with different computers, versions of java, and browsers. And this is one of the main reasons I think there should be FTP uploading. Uploading is the first step and there shouldn't be any barriers to anyone.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    Let me clarify Number 4

When I first log in and try to upload images to a gallery I get the following.

1135658713_qkncE-L.jpg

Notice there is no java stuff in the center, just the gray box.

The next thing I do is hit the "Try a different uploader" link in green at the bottom. The following is what I then get.
    1135658849_NL6dm-L.jpg

I then log in and get the following screen.
    1135659013_bEU8x-L.jpg

I then hit yes on the popup and select the simple uploader and am finally presented with the correct simple uploader as can be seen below.
    1135659144_JNw3J-L.jpg

I am really getting fed up.

I left Pbase for similar reasons (poor functioning features)... and had heard great things about Smugmug.
    I am beginning to think I should look into other image hosts.

Shawn - please write our Support Heroes with these same details so that a dedicated Support hero can help you. We're standing by. This is not the normal case with the uploader and I'm sure we can sort you out, thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    We don't have a good solution for this in the near-term, I'm sorry. I wish I did.
    Changes afoot for besocial, coming in January! But we'll always need 3rd party cookies enabled, I don't know a way around that.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1519098&postcount=34
    we are actively working on more improvements to sitemaps.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    I have tried it imediately after rebooting, and after clearing the cache. Still no dice.
    I only have one computer at the moment.
    Windows Vista, latest version of Java, Intel Centrino 2, 64 Bits, plenty of RAM. ne_nau.gif

Shawn, please write our Support Heroes with the details so we can assist.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    e-mail sent to heroes.

Shawn, got nothing new from you at the help desk ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    I have tried it imediately after rebooting, and after clearing the cache. Still no dice.
    I only have one computer at the moment.
    Windows Vista, latest version of Java, Intel Centrino 2, 64 Bits, plenty of RAM. ne_nau.gif
    What browser? I'd try doing this as it has worked for me when things on a system got borked. Download portable firefox from portableapps.com (or another portable browser if you're using FF). Put this on an external usb drive or a flash drive. Run it and try to upload from there. If you can't, it sounds a system issue related to the Java since both browsers are trying to access the same Java. If it asks you to install Java, do so, and there's a good chance it will work. Another thing to try is the html5 uploader since FF3.6+ will have this ability. Personally, I would avoid it as I've found it to still be buggy. If uploading works without the hoop jumping, you can just copy the whole browser from the usb/flash drive to wherever you want (since it's portable) and it should always work. thumb.gif

I've got FF on a usb drive setup like this. It will always work no matter which one of my systems I connect it to.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    I would rather see items take alot longer to release, but work properly when released and tested across all browsers.
    Hey Shawn, the uploaders work in all of our supported browsers, and we do test them. IE, FF, Safari, Chrome. I got your latest reply at the help desk, and I'll escalate your case to a specialist, and I guarantee we'll get you sorted out and happy. I'm going to ask that you allow us some time, a few days, but you'll hear from us and together we'll trade emails over the holiday weekend (if you wish) and we'll get you fixed up - promise!
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    I am sure I can find a work around, I was trying to make the point that Smug releases "buggy" to use your term...
    I completely agree on this point. I've actually found myself not using any new features until they mature for about 6 months due to this.
  • Options
    annarocksannarocks Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2011
    Done! Thank you, Smug Mug. Your devotion to customer service truly shows!
  • Options
    Justin BJustin B Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 488
    edited January 7, 2011
    I've committed but can't seem to find a way to contribute. Is it right in front of my face? Or do I just sit back and wait for the next phase? Long time stack exchange lurker here :)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    FYI, I'm liking Quora much more than StackExchange. Not exactly the same things, but StackExchange just seems really cluttered and hard to use. Quora seems elegant and lets me monitor the things I'm interested in really well. I don't know if you can carve out your own little Smugmug space in Quora the same way you can in StackExchange, but I sure like the way Quora works better from a user point of view.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    FYI, I'm liking Quora much more than StackExchange. Not exactly the same things, but StackExchange just seems really cluttered and hard to use. Quora seems elegant and lets me monitor the things I'm interested in really well. I don't know if you can carve out your own little Smugmug space in Quora the same way you can in StackExchange, but I sure like the way Quora works better from a user point of view.

http://twitter.com/#!/DonMacAskill/status/22496276918575104

;)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Yeah, I saw that. Am following him on Quora too.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    I do not see this as a benefit to us, the CLIENTS ......we (the clients) do not need yet somewhere else to keep track of or place for posting questions.....

Actually I think this needs to be added to USERVOICE just like if we (the Clients) want to suggest a new.......then let the voting decide.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    InspiritorInspiritor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Newbie 'Mistake' - (soon to be a client) ...
    ... while typing a cogent response to this thread, I turn off my internet access and periodically make text-clippings of the text that I am composing since a frequent frustration occurs when I hit a key that performs a function other than what is expected, and I lose all of my composition.

I hit the 'tab'-key, and suddenly it seemed as though I had hit some sort of transmit-key (like 'enter' does outside of text-composition), and I was left with a message indicating that I was not connected to the internet, and, not having yet hit "Preview Post", I lost all of my text (I'm glad that I clipped it).

At a basic-level, there is nothing obvious that indicates non-standard (as in offline typing) functions for certain keys, as in: the 'tab'-key does a 'transmit'; either something else must be done to effect a tab, or it's not allowed in a composition window, or going offline changes the behavior of the composition window, or it might be browser-specific(?) ...

... and this behavior varies from blog to blog ...

As a former self-employed computer technical architect, I know that it is often the little things that get overlooked
    (due to the overhead of spending time (like this) writing about them) that setup a client to become really frustrated when a site-specific barrier is encountered.

I hit "Preview Post", and OpenDNS, upon response-timeout, informed me: "You tried to visit www.dgrin.com, which is not loading". I feared that I had lost the post (again), but back-paging 2-pages and re-transmitting brought it back.

... and even though I've used the lower-right-corner of this window to expand it to display all of my text without scrolling, when I preview-post, it doesn't save this setting, and I must re-expand this window every time ...

... 'little' things, like no help-button for this blog-text-composition-window. "Help" should be blatantly available so one does not need to spend time searching for it. Better to be excessive than force the client to search for an answer, which easily leads the client to forgetting what was trying to be accomplished in the first place.

... original reply soon ...