edited July 5, 2013 in Accessories
This is review of the BBP sling bag.

www.bbpbags.com

This is the bag, front and back.
6.5-9.5"W x 15"H x 4-5.75"D
2.5 lbs

1107584957_NFC3z-M.jpg

1107585207_QnXzz-M.jpg

It feels sturdy and well constructed. The overall look of the bag is stylish and sleek. It is a one strap over the shoulder design with an optional waist strap for added support. It appears that BBP designed the straps very well..bags are all about the straps for me. The straps are graduated in width, so that where the straps connect to the bag, they are widest and they taper down as they come across the body for comfort. The straps have good padding and clasp and rings appear very sturdy as well. One last nice touch is that extra loose strappage has a clever velcro doohickey built in so that you can easily roll/bunch up the extra straps and keep them secured so they are aren't simply hanging from the bag. Here is my lovely assistant modeling the fit of the bag.

1107585590_hb5nA-M.jpg

1107585987_9b5AY-M.jpg
This one you can see the velcro doohickeys here

1107586361_zzB8G-M.jpg

1107586641_MdewH-M.jpg

My model is 5'2" and a size 4, and I am 5' 9" "average guy"...we both found the sling bag comfortable with and with out the waist strap. The back of the bag is nicely cushioned with breathable webbing to reduce "swamp back". One advantage of a sling type bag is that you can quickly spin it around your shoulder and bring up the main compartment..this bag proves no different.

1107587051_A3W7P-M.jpg

1107587394_c4LHK-M.jpg

There is one main storage compartment, for the SLR with padded adjustable inserts. This compartment is roomy enough to be able to attach a large nikkor 24-70mm type lens on the camera body and would be large enough for gripped bodies or full size D3 for example.

There are 2 more compartments for lens or a flash. One compartment could fit 70-200mm type lens while the other could easily fit and SB900 or another "beer can" sized lens. So basically this bag can hold the DSLR body and 3 largish lenses. It can not hold any super telephoto type stuff.

There are 3 other zippered pouches that can hold a few filters, plenty of batteries, memory cards, a phone, etc.

Lastly there is room for ipad or 10in type notebook PC as well.

1107590625_J9Tz8-M.jpg

1107591031_pcQ2F-L.jpg

1107588835_fGbR2-M.jpg
it also has a handle on the side of the bag for convenience

1107588116_dGMHJ-M.jpg
one of the zippered pouches is on the bottom of the bag..waste not want not.

The pack also has a heavy duty velcro straps for tripod attachment. The bag is not quite large enough for heavy duty tripod as the legs stick out and such...it doesn't balance very well. Though I suspect most shooting applications in which you are using a sling bag wouldn't really require a tripod. Still, the straps are there and can be used in a pinch. The straps them selves are quite sturdy my 10 lb tripod felt very secure.

1107588496_5u9GU-M.jpg

Lastly there is a rain sac that you can snap on. It appears to be lined nylon shell..so good for moderate drizzle but not for typhoons. The zippers are not sealed for example.

1107587546_tfkWR-M.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with it. It is great compromise between the huge daypacks and the mini slings. I would use this for informal shoots, urban day trips, vacationing..any time that I expect to shoot quite a bit but don't need to bring the full arsenal. The retail price is $99.95. It is well worth that price imo.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Nice review
    thanks for taking the time to do this. thumb.gif
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    Thanks for the slinger bag review.

I does look like it's easy to configure the bag to a number of different shooting scenarios because of the number of compartments. It also looks like the bag is very comfortable with the wide shoulder strap. I suspect that comfort and control while hiking is helped with the waist belt.

Please also extend our thanks to your kindly and lovely assistant. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    koochungkoochung Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2010
    I just got the BBP sling bag as well and I've been LOVING IT! I've always felt frustrated w/ other small camera bags, but felt that backpacks were too big to carry around for small trips. This bag has been the perfect solution! I'm a minimalist by nature so I like to take all of my shots with just 2 lenses, and this bag can easily fit that plus all charging gear, batteries, AND even my flash!!! I have a battery pack on my 5DMKII - and with my 24-70 attached it still fits in the main compartment perfectly!! LOVE THIS BAG! COMPLETELY RECOMMEND IT!
  • Options
    FolobFolob Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2011
    Hi,

Quick question about this bag ... I am looking to buy it and use it to commute to work with my camera, an iPad (or Netbook) .... and my lunch. It there enough room on the top compartments to store a lunch?

Txs!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    you could fit a sandwich or s small tupper ware type container.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    James28012James28012 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2013
    Suitable for a mirrorless camera?
    Qarik wrote: »
    you could fit a sandwich or s small tupper ware type container.

Hi
    Do you think this would be a suitable bag for a mirrorless camera with a bunch of lenses and flashes?
    I was just thinking that maybe the space intended for holding the camera might be a little large..
    I have a Sony NEX-7.
    Thanks in advance,
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2013
    awesome. thanks for the review!